Medications

whatno

Just Browsing
Media
I just started taking medication for depression. And I was so scared that he was going to prescribe me Zoloft. Because it totally kills your sex drive and such. In the end, he put me on Welbutrin, which my father takes, and it has no sexual side effects. He claims it actually improves your preformance. I've yet to expirience any of these improvements. Maybe I have to wait longer.

"With (Welbutrin) you can have sex with twelve girls in a row!" - My father. :D
[that coming from a 60 year old man is weird enough!]

But it seems with all the new medications out there, theres always some kind of sexual side effects.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
You may have to take Wellbutrin for a few weeks before you notice any benefits but suddenly you'll realize "Hey, I haven't been able to do that in a long time."

I took it for a while but it's too damned expensive for an old fart on SSA. Zoloft (I get it very cheap on a Pfizer program) does affect the libido but I've found that by being insistent (i.e., "Look, Zoloft, I'm gonna get off whether you like it or not!") I do get good orgasms.

The main thing is to remember to take it as prescribed.

carolinacurious: The downside of seemingly all medications for depression is that you get the side effects before the good ones. Personally, I've been on Wellbutrin for a long time and I can't say that I've noticed any positive sexual side effects, (a more intense orgasm, maybe?) I can definitely say that it has less negative sexual side effects than anything else I've tried. For me, if it can help with depression and leave me with a sex drive it's a good thing.

Of course, give me 12 willing young ladies and I'll give it my best shot. Wellbutrin or not.

ziggity

Sexy Member
Media
i took three antidepressants in succession including prozac.

every single one gave me ED.

for this, and other reasons, i quit the medications and therapy and went my own path to feeling better.. it worked. it might not have in any other circumstance, but i'm just fine now :p

but let me get this straight. if i'm depressed.... and i take a drug that makes my penis not work... i'm supposed to feel better? i mean, gimme a fuckin break :angry:

Knight

Experimental Member
Media
Yeah I was on meds too, Celexa it was and I couldnt cum it was hell lol but yeah I stopped takin em and decided I didnt need any drugs to help me, I have the power within me *plays X Files theme tune*

And having a girlfriend has helped a lot.

Ineligible

1st Like
Media
All common SSRIs have sexual side-effects, because they are caused by the higher serotonin levels acting on one particular type of receptor. Fortunately drug researchers have finally realised that these side-effects are serious and keep a lot of people off antidepressant medication who need it, and there are now a few antidepressants without the side-effects. Buproprion (Wellbutrin, Zyban), a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, is the best known. The positive effects on sex performance sometimes reported from Wellbutrin are probably due to loss of depression. There is also the oldish (out of patent) dopamine reuptake inhibitor amineptine (Survector), which however is not legally available in most of the world because it has some abuse potential. There is mirtazapine (Remeron, Zispin), which increases serotonin neurotransmission but blocks the receptors responsible for the sexual side-effects. And there is tianeptine (Stablon), which, amazingly, is a serotonin reuptake enhancer; it's a useful anxiolytic as well as antidepressant.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've been on Zoloft. Doesn't prevent or slow my erection. HOWEVER, on many, many efforts, it is absolutely impossible to achieve an orgasm. I eventually just become so fatigued I can't continue. To say nothing of my partner screaming "cum already"!!!!!!

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
I was on Prozac for a period of time and the doctor said I would probably have sexual side effects, but I didn't. Then again, I didn't take too many of them, because they either didn't work too well or I just didn't need them so I just stopped taking them...what's funny is they were stolen last summer...I know who did it, but seriously, who steals Prozac!? They were gonna put me on Zyprexa, but there was no way in hell I was going on that, it had the opposite effect on my sister and nearly had herself commited to the booby hatch. Not my cup of tea. I didn't even really need medication, I was just in a bad mood for a week so the doctors just wanted to suck all the money out of my mother that they could. Too bad for them I was fine the next week! It was hilarious watching them try to say I was depressed or bipolar, and me saying "for the last time, I'm fine!" I had temper issues. I swear doctors amaze me sometimes (I'm not saying all of them are bad, just the greedy ones who should be on the meds themselves) but I also don't like putting anything in my body that shouldn't already be there. Crap, I went on a tangent...how typical of me! :p But anyway, for me, no sexual effects happened, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Edit - Not zyprexa.....I forgot what it was, but I wasn't loony so I didn't need it whatever it was. I'm glad everyone saw I was fine too. I think taking those meds without needing them is almost worse than needing them and then not taking them.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
WARNING: Thinking about the price of these medications may cause even more depression, along with the desire to move to Vancouver.

ziggity

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by Royal_T@Feb 25 2005, 07:41 AM
Anyone know the sexual side effects of Venlafaxine HCL (Effexor)?
[post=286316]Quoted post[/post]​

it gave me some partial ED. it could get like 80% hard max, and got off only like 30% of the time. keep in mind side effects are different for EVERYONE.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've been on a combination Of LexaPro (HA~!) and Wellbutrin-XL. LexaPro by itself gave me a hazy feeling in my brain whenever I thought of sex and made having an orgasm almost impossible. I never realized how frustrating it is to NOT be able to cum when you're ready to.

In addition, it made me gain weight (15 lbs in 4 months). So my doctor dropped my LexaPro amount and added Wellbutrin-XL to help with the sexual side effects and the weight gain. The Wellbutirn has been very helpful in that regard.

It's most important that you take a med that you need to (as Pecker said) as prescribed. Keep bugging your doctor until you find the right thing. Also, Accupuncture helped me with my depression as much as the medication did.

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I once took Paxil for 6 weeks, and it was the worst 6 weeks of my sexual life.
I could get hard, and stay rock hard, but i could not cum to save my life.
My partner at the time, was thrilled.
LOL.
I was not. That situation *made* me depressed, and I"m happy to say i was off of that stuff in a hurry.

brickbat

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Having had a bout of hypertension last year, my advice is to stay away from any and all blood pressure meds and especially stay away from cholesterol meds as well as meds for the prostate. Any of those will produce lesser erections. As my endocrinologist told me, any med that affects vascularity in going to affect a member of a mans anatomy that is filled with veins. Thankfully thru weight training and aerobics, I have pitched all these meds in the trash. Saw palmetto instead of proscar works wonderful for prostate health.

Royal_T

Just Browsing
Media
I want to thank Whatno and Ziggity for the info here. Ive been on effexor, and while the contents of my skull perform better, the contents of my boxers dont. But I spoke to my doc and now they will switch me to wellbutrin and see how it goes. Things are looking up! Thanks guys, and thanks to Whatno for starting this thread! :)

prepky

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
as a person that has been on effexor, I had a horrible time with it, I had major sweats, gastric issues, weight gain, panic attacks, it was one of the worse 9 months of my life, however, If I hadnt taken it, I wouldnt be here tonight typing this message. Moral to the story....they are for a good reason to save lives however, you need to make sure that you take one that works with your body and your mind.

Prep

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by Royal_T@Feb 25 2005, 03:41 PM
yes. it's a bastard. avoid that shit like the plague. not only will it mess with your sexual drive and performance in nightmarish ways, it's also almost impossible to get rid of from a high dose. I was put on 150mg/day for 2 years, and 6 years later I'm STILL taking 37.5mg/day because the withdrawal symptoms from quitting are so appalling. I'll probably never be able to stop taking the shit now. and at 37.5 it doesn't actually DO anything, it just stops my brain and nervous system from going into withdrawal spasms. so, effectively I'm now taking a maintenance drug which was prescribed for circumstantial depression/psychosis 8 years ago, just to stop myself from ending up in the hospital with my cortex attempting to emigrate through my spine. THANKS A MILLION, THE NHS! ANOTHER WINNER!!

osxwrangler

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Regarding the original post about the Wellbutrin: I have been on it for about 8 months now and have done very well on it. Yes it has enhanced my sex life immensely. It has also caused me to loose weight. I have been on most all of the major anti-depressants and had nothing but trouble with them sexually. One of the other fellas said something to the effect – what’s the point if your peter doesn’t work – I agree completely. That makes me even more depressed.

Hang in there if you are a depressive. It’s a tough life. I know I have lived it all my life. Take a look at http://www.remedyfind.com/ for more information and others experiences with meds.

Mr._dB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm on three blood pressure meds and one for cholesterol, and while I still have no trouble achieving a good erection, my orgasms have been pretty lacklustre lately.

Royal_T

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Mar 7 2005, 02:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Mar 7 2005, 02:05 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Royal_T@Feb 25 2005, 03:41 PM
I was put on 150mg/day for 2 years, and 6 years later I&#39;m STILL taking 37.5mg/day because the withdrawal symptoms from quitting are so appalling.
[post=288959]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

So true. I actually was on Effexor before, and because of some rediculous red tape at my doc&#39;s office, I couldnt get a refill when i needed it, so I went from 75mg to 0 in like 3 days (the pills were 75mg each). The following 2 weeks were some of the worst in memory. Luckily thats in the past, and Im now on Wellbutrin, and I hope to be Effexor free very soon.