Mediums?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SpoiledPrincess, Jul 26, 2007.

1. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Do you believe people can have psychic powers, the ability to predict the future or know about events they have no foreknowledge of?

Personally I believe they're playing the odds and reading your body language. Anyone who's seen Derren Browne will know how accurately you can be on the details of someone's life if you know what signs to watch out for. We communicate with someone and only a percentage of that communication is verbal, a lot of it is simple body language. If a 'psychic' is on the right track you give them unconscious signs and they carry on down that track until you give them another sign that they're going wrong then they backtrack until they're getting it right again.

Anyone who goes to a psychic is usually troubled in some way, and there are only so many problems people share so a few questions that sound fairly innocuous can give away a lot of information for them to build a reading on.

I went to a renowned psychic who'd appeared on tv myself many years ago (a friend who was having problems insisted I go with him as he didn't want to go alone) at a time when my life was all blue skies, having read a little about cold reading I tried my best not to give her any clues, I stayed firmly where I was, answered yes or no in a neutral voice and she didn't get a single thing about my life right.

Some people appear to know things they shouldn't but if you're talking to someone one thing they say automatically means you can tell them something else because statistically it should and usually does apply to them, they think you just 'knew' that, you're just using what you already know about people. People fit into certain categories and if she's a bit off they won't consider she was wrong, but that she was near enough right to be right, and they tend to remember only the things that were right not wrong because they want to believe.

My problem with them is that they can pray on people's grief and vulnerability, give them false hopes which stop them facing reality and coming to terms with it.

I attached two vids of one of the worst offenders, a woman who actually takes money from the people she's exploiting.

YouTube - Sylvia Brown Told Kidnapped Child's Parents He was Dead

YouTube - Sylvia Browne Is WHACK=

2. ganja4me

Gold Member

Albums:
    I pretty much feel the same way about it as you do. But in order to be a good "psychic" they must have an incredible sense of perception. That Derren Browne show is supposed to be airing in the US tonight. I think I'll watch it and see how good he is.

3. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

He's unbelievable, I understand how he does some of what he does, but to be as precise as he is uncanny.

4. avg_joe

Gold Member

Yes, I do. But there are also a lot of fake mediums and psychics taking advantage on people's grief !!!

5. SlimGuySB

SlimGuySB New Member

Albums:
    People who use such scams are preying on people when they are at their weakest. Scientific challenges have been set and no-one has stepped forward and claimed the prize for allowing their powers to be tested in a controlled environment. I have a real dislike for these people.

6. avg_joe

Gold Member

When I was in Asia, there was a psychic medium whom we called ET because she looked like the alien from ET movie. She could tell your past accurately, I would say 99.99% was true. And she could also read the numbers on your money bill without looking at it. Most of her future perdictions were also true too.

7. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why don't they get jobs as weather forecsasters, they probably would do as well as the professionals?:biggrin1:

My Grandfather, for a time in the 40's, had a business as 'Professor Vail', he made a very good living, never heard anything about his methods. He was more than a bit of a scamp, the only story I've heard about it was that when he had made enough money for the day, he would climb out the window, leaving customers in the waiting room. The family still has his crystal ball.
    By the time I came along, he was in the nursery, sod, and landscaping business.

I don't believe anything about it.

8. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

I believe it's possible, but most if not all of what I've seen can be explained through cold reading.

9. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I hope no one believes this shit. 'Mediums' or fortune tellers use open ended questions and other bullshit to deceive and steal money from vulnerable people!!!

Please don't fall for that shit.

What I will say though is that the case of Edgar Cayce is interesting. Note that he did not charge money!

Edgar Cayce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. dong20

Gold Member

The Human capacity for self delusion is boundless.

But, I'm not convinced there aren't realms of science so far beyond our (current) understanding we cannot really percieve them. But should they exist I am convinced they will be rational and understandable in nature. Remember, any science may appear 'magical' if it's sufficiently advanced. I am also quite certain the Human race is nowhere near ready to meddle with them.

Could it be that a 'true' medium (if such exists) and I use 'medium' in the very broadest sense of the word is merely someone who is somehow able to percieve or tap into an as yet undiscovered realm of science? Or is more likely they're all charlatans, - ignoring the 99.999% that certainly are.

11. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Some are real. Most are fakes......................

12. Matthew

Gold Member

I never, never have believed in psychics. But for some reason, I find myself really fascinated with these TV shows (apparently non-fictional, like Psychic Detectives, etc.) that show psychics not solving crimes, but divining clues that police are able to follow up on to solve crimes.

Considering that they interview a lot of police officers and other officials (whose most common response is "I never believed in that stuff until this happened"), and that the kind of information that is intuited without any prior knowledge of the case, I don't see how it could be entirely without merit.

It's also interesting that the "psychics" all seem to describe what they do and how they "pick up" information in very similar ways. That's why I tend to see it like dong20 -- not as something "mystical," but as something that may one day be explainable by science.

13. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

How about a Medium with an Extra large one? Oh what a thread that would be...............:wink: :biggrin1: They tell you your future then fuck you hard and deep.

14. earllogjam

Gold Member

I have always been skeptical also about these folks. I think the phenomenon may be that people really want to believe so they justify all the inconsistencies and make half truths into truths. Who wouldn't want to talk to a loved one who passed?

There is this show called "Crossing Over" with John Edwards who is a medium and connects dead people with their living relatives. It is all quite convincing how he can, as a stranger, pick up personal details and intimate stories about the dead person and their relationship to the living relative. I cannot explain this other than the show is all fake and the living relatives are all actors. Has anyone been on this show? Is it legit. I get the feeling that it is all staged.

That said, I have had a best friend during childhood that we could read each other's minds and finish sentences for each other. The way I explain it is that I just knew him so well that we just began to think alike.

It would be cool if we could read each other's minds...Huh? You would have to be honest all the time. No more inner secret life.

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Anyone here ever see that South Park episode where they proclain John Edward to be the biggest douche in the universe?

That's pretty much my take on these "psychic" types...they're cold reading their audiences/marks. While it's sometimes an impressive feat of perception, there's certainly nothing mystical about it. The fact that so many readily buy into it just shows how far we haven't evolved from our superstitous, Dark Age ancestors.

James Halperin penned an interesting perspective on this very idea using a technological (as opposed to psychic) slant. In his Truth Machine, the protagonist develops a device that can determine with 100% accuracy whether or not a person is telling the truth...needless to say, it revolutionizes the world.

16. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

There are many methods they use. One is to say 'I'm seeing a name beginning with J...no P...wait its an A...and stuff like that. Til the person ANSWERS FOR THEM. Then they keep doing that. Sometimes they do background checks or have conversations with the people pre-show.

ESPECIALLY the TV shows are gigantic piles of steaming shit.

17. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I definitely believe there are psychics in this world that can "talk to dead people".

18. SlimGuySB

SlimGuySB New Member

Albums:
    Well, I'm all for being proven wrong - after all, any reasonable scientist or other rational thinker has a duty to reevaluate their position based on new evidence. However I've never seen anyone provide anythink even vaguely approaching evidence. Neither has this man

James Randi debunking on Tonight Show

19. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Dead people don't talk, they just walk around with stiff legs and hold their arms out in front of them with limp wrists and moan loudly (except for the ones who danced with that skinny weird guy in Thriller.)

How come none of these psychics has ever won a lottery?

20. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Because they can't use their powers for self gain :) or as far as I can see use them to prove they really do have them.

Draft saved Draft deleted