Meet your meat

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've seen this vid.

When I was a child my stepfather used to take my brother and I to a farm to look at cows and figure out which one he was going to buy and have butchered and wrapped for our family. Until I was in college I thought that's how everyone bought meat!
When I was a child, we used to clean the viscera of the animals we farmed/slaughtered or hunted. Until we got older, then we'd pack it up for the freezer or prepare it for the smoke house. I don't think I saw the inside of a grocery store until I was 5, and also thought that family ranching/farming/hunting was how here everyone got their meat products.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well during the onslaught of PETA I went out and bought a full length mink coat ( I want to go on record by saying I never really wanted a fur coat, but I bought it to piss the PETA people off), and was in Aspen at the time that they changed the smoking laws in restaurants (at the time you could only smoke at the bar) So to make a long story short, one night out I ordered Veal:eek: and the waiter was so disgusted with my coat, my cigarettes and my order, (he was not able to hide contempt as well as most do here) At the end of the meal he asked me how I could own such a coat and eat veal with no remorse? I said " How are you going to be able to spend the tip I'm giving you without remorse?

ok. little stories like that give tremendous insight. my dad had grown up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin, after
the cows passed their prime, they were sent out for slaughter. (unless it was a prize
cow, in which case she was retired to "pasture" for breeding). so he came out to Los Angeles to visit at christmas a number of years back. we passed a PETA protest on rodeo drive in beverly hills. he made a remark to the effect "what do they think they're going to accomplish with that little rally of theirs?" well, very soon after that "little rally" the fur trade was effectively driven (by guilt, embarrassment, and the illusion of "political correctness") out of the wardrobes of most film stars in hollywood. PETA was right on target. protests work to change consciousness.
at least my dad's anti PETA stance was rooted in a farmboy innocence and the "laws of nature" as they had been handed down.
btw my dad actually loved animals, having grown up around them. he probably actually would have hated the decadence of a man at a ski resort wearing a full length mink coat that he didn't really want just to piss someone off, more than he disliked the PETA protesters.

Last edited:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
vegan/vegetarian for the last ten years. awareness worked on me.

before he passed away my grandfather owned a humane ranch. my family are all hunters. i don't say it's wrong to eat critters. i say it's wrong to industrialize production. also when you factor in environmental impact of meat factories, the burden out-country ranches place on local peoples. the grain shortages in australlia..blah blah..vegan rant...i don't think people in america understand the real cost of steak on the dinner plate.

there are a million and one reasons to go veg. not being part the systematic cruelty to animals is just one.

ML

start learning to like tofu people.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
ok. little stories like that give tremendous insight. my dad had grown up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin, after
the cows passed their prime, they were sent out for slaughter. (unless it was a prize
cow, in which case she was retired to "pasture" for breeding). so he came out to Los Angeles to visit at christmas a number of years back. we passed a PETA protest on rodeo drive in beverly hills. he made a remark to the effect "what do they think they're going to accomplish with that little rally of theirs?" well, very soon after that "little rally" the fur trade was effectively driven (by guilt, embarrassment, and the illusion of "political correctness") out of the wardrobes of most film stars in hollywood. PETA was right on target. protests work to change consciousness.
at least my dad's anti PETA stance was rooted in a farmboy innocence and the "laws of nature" as they had been handed down.
btw my dad actually loved animals, having grown up around them.
I'm pretty sure that Anna Wintour and I are not the only two people wearing fur and eating veal!

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Another HITCH HIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY book will be written.

Pity about the movie; the whole book sequences should be a long and involved BBC serial, like the first book.

For whatever reasons Douglas Adams didn't like it.

I'm semi vegan. I can't eat beans 'cause of allergies, so I try to avoid beef over chicken and fish and nuts and cheese..

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
just shows how old and out of touch you are with contemporary society. or i suppose you just march to your own drummer.
i'm not very young anymore myself.

The beauty of living in a free country is we all have a choice. In what we eat and what we wear, I respect the choices that others make and would not dream of convincing them otherwise and expect the same respect in return.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That's a pretty harrowing video.

Under UK law, the treatment of cattle, sheep and pigs are monitored under the Animal Welfare Act. As for the farmed bird species, they still get a raw deal and are still allowed to be battery farmed. The British consumer has backlashed against this, you'll find many free range and organic eggs on the shelves, the demand for these is outgrowing the demand for battery.

(The Independent a few years back....)

Animal Welfare Act: Cattle

Animal Welfare Act: Pigs

Animal Welfare Act: Sheep

The video that was posted above....does this truly show the general state of animal farming in the US?

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Am I reading correctly? nudeyorker wore a mink coat and smoked cigarettes in a restaurant to - what? -prove a point? To be coyly decadent? To express first admendment rights?

This is arrogant, misplaced rebelliousness. You sure showed those damned PETA people! Why not smoke a cigar & slit the throat of a cat at the restaurant just to hammer the "point" home?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Am I reading correctly? nudeyorker wore a mink coat and smoked cigarettes in a restaurant to - what? -prove a point? To be coyly decadent? To express first admendment rights?

This is arrogant, misplaced rebelliousness. You sure showed those damned PETA people! Why not smoke a cigar & slit the throat of a cat at the restaurant just to hammer the "point" home?

I asked...they did not allow cats in the restaurant!

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
*thinks about it* Nudeyorker would be a much better dessert. vanilla honey drizzle with chopped macadamia nuts.

if ya going main course, capers... capers, lobster mushrooms, white wine reduction and garlic. maybe a little bit of rosemary? people taste like chicken right? hmm lemon zest?

ML

cannibalism is yummy.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's a pretty harrowing video.

Under UK law, the treatment of cattle, sheep and pigs are monitored under the Animal Welfare Act. As for the farmed bird species, they still get a raw deal and are still allowed to be battery farmed. The British consumer has backlashed against this, you'll find many free range and organic eggs on the shelves, the demand for these is outgrowing the demand for battery.

(The Independent a few years back....)

Animal Welfare Act: Cattle

Animal Welfare Act: Pigs

Animal Welfare Act: Sheep

The video that was posted above....does this truly show the general state of animal farming in the US?

Wow, those are some pretty cool laws. I don't think we have anything here that is comparable.

As to whether the videos represent the general state of affairs -- I don't know. I live in the city, and the closest dairy farms have all been replaced by strip malls.

I've only seen photos/videos of the inhumane treatments. Apparently boiling live chickens in oil (to get rid of feathers and such) is common practice.

Crowded conditions are also commonplace.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

"Slowly the deer would approach, step by step, until it was almost nuzzling him, whereupon Ford Prefect would reach out to it and break its neck. "Pheromone control ... you just have to know how to generate the right smell."

Reminds me of ... http://www.lpsg.org/114260-eau-du-whopper-burgers-belief.html?highlight=burger

Ewwwwww! And they say that the perfume costs a WHOPPING* $3.99... why not just buy a 99 cent cheeseburger and rub it behind your ears??!!

* whopping = Big Whopper, get it??!! :eek:

I'm gonna have to buy a new set of those books. Haven't read them in YEARS!