Meg Whitman has spent nearly $100 MILLION on her campaign for California governor...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TomCat84, Aug 2, 2010.

1. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

She reminds me of Arnold in drag.

3. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    This state has been inundated with Meg Whitman ads...I have yet to see any pro-Jerry Brown ads. I mean, can I not watch a Padres game without being force-fed some overly-edited Jerry Brown comments from the mid-90s?:rolleyes:

4. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ref. this L.A. Times story:

Whitman's funds could pose conflicts

The Republican candidate for California governor has stakes in oil and gas concerns that seek to influence the state. Her wealth is estimated at $1.2 billion.

Whitman's funds could pose conflicts - Los Angeles Times

5. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    You know, normally, I'm all for super rich candidates running for office- my hope is usually that their independent wealth partially insulates them from personal corruption. But Meg has thrown so much money at this race that it's resolving me to vote for Jerry Brown- even if he is a bit of a fossil. I wish Newsom had stayed in the primary. :mad:

6. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    You do know that Meg Whitman's money IS from personal corruption, right? It's a bit late to "insulate" her from it.

7. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

atleast the money is being spent in Cali- somewhat benefiting the local economy

8. hud01

Gold Member

You know that is what I thought. Hope she loses.

9. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think that was the point that I was trying to get at...forgive me, I've had a few beers :redface:

10. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Funny you should mention that- apparently a lot of her TV ads have been produced out of state :rolleyes:

11. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Perhaps she's using the Bloomberg strategy? Nonetheless, she has the means and is, apparently, operating within campaign finance law and regulations - more power to her.

12. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

What dollar amount of spending constitutes buying an election? Not that I feel sorry for Poizner, but $90M, for a primary, is a lotta cheese. Brown, by contrast, has $20M in the bank, and has not spent a dime. He continues to go on talk shows, and to local rallies, to increase his exposure, like a real, old fashioned politician. By contrast Meg has NO political experience. It's easy to tell these two apart.

It's funny how many of Brown's energy policy initiatives, which earned him the the derisive nickname of Governor Moonbeam in the '70's, are completely mainstream these days. Bring back Governor Moonbeam.

As to Newsom, he looks the part of the young, suave Dem, and has been socially progressive, but hides when the going gets tough, and things are very tough in Sackotomato these days. Better he toughen up as Lt. Governor first.

13. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Surprisingly enough, there are a couple of good initiatives on the ballot this November- legal pot, AND (!) passing a budget by a vote of 50%+1. It looks like it's going to pass with flying colors- finally, the state GOP will be irrelevant.

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I really wish there were strict state & federal limits made on campaign spending. More and more it seems as if the ones who have the money and spread the most propaganda get the prize.

15. midlifebear

Gold Member

There's always hope for the defeat of the big spenders trying to buy office in California. Don't forget Michael Huffington, the "bi" sexual husband of Arriana, who spent $28+ million in 1994 hoping to win the seat as Senator from the Hot Furnace State. Dianne Feintstein beat him with 1.9% more votes.

He now bides his time as the "ex" Mr. Arianna Stassinopoulos blogging for The Huffington Post. I guess Huffington just has more cache The Stassinopoulos Post.

As for Meg Whitman, someone should have advised her that she could buy one (possibly two) small countries for $100,000,0000 and appoint herself Queen.

#15 midlifebear, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  16. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Perhaps Catalina? Might go a little bit towards closing the state's yawning budget deficit....

17. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Much as I agree with the sentiment, VB (and I really do), campaign spending has been likened to free speech and the first amendment. It's a very touchy subject which McCain-Feingold attempted to address and only made the already muddy waters surrounding this issue even murkier.

The only real way around it would be to ban all privately funded campaigns in favor of nothing but public financing, but I think that would be declared unconstitutional pretty quickly.

Like it or not, big money rules our electoral process. It's one of the ugliest sides of our entire political structure.

18. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

We could always amend the Constitution. Not that I see that happening anytime soon.

19. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    What makes the governorship of California worth 100 million? Of your own money..

I can see spending someone else's money to get it, but it doesn't compute that she would spend her own for it.

#19 vince, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  20. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Well, she's a billionaire and has already built a very successful company, so, really, what else is she supposed to do? (and no, I do not support her at all)

Nelson Rockefeller was once in a helicopter flying past the White House. He said to his companion, "With all I have, what else is there?

Draft saved Draft deleted