Meg Whitman has spent nearly $100 MILLION on her campaign for California governor...

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, she's a billionaire and has already built a very successful company, so, really, what else is she supposed to do? (and no, I do not support her at all)

Nelson Rockefeller was once in a helicopter flying past the White House. He said to his companion, "With all I have, what else is there?

She wants to be President eventually I'm guessing.....perhaps be the second coming of Ronald Reagan... :rolleyes:

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
We should make the same change to the 2/3 requirement to pass tax legislation. Good luck with that one though.

Proposition 13 really needs to be reexamined.

passing a budget by a vote of 50%+1. It looks like it's going to pass with flying colors- finally, the state GOP will be irrelevant.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I've seen people living in cardboard boxes under bridges in SF and beggars on the streets every time I've been there. Yet this heartless bitch can spend 100 mil to indulge her fantasy of being governor and maybe someday president. And people will vote for her too! Your nation is seriously fucked up. Sorry.

DesertCruiser

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Living in California, you can hardly watch ANY television show without Meg Whitman popping up on the screen. Our household had already started muting her way before the primaries. For someone who didn't vote for 28 years sure has made a turn about. Why should we vote for her when she couldn't be bothered for all that time.

We are not much happier with Brown so right now we are going to write in our dog's name. At least he is always faithful, true and never lets us down.

As the saying goes. lock your wife and your dog in the trunk and when you let them out, which one is glad to see you.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Well, she's a billionaire and has already built a very successful company, so, really, what else is she supposed to do? (and no, I do not support her at all)

Nelson Rockefeller was once in a helicopter flying past the White House. He said to his companion, "With all I have, what else is there?

Ah, Neslon R. He was my favorite VP: a rich, liberal Republican who croaked on top of Megan Marshack (an "aid" wink, wink) in his townhouse at 13 West 54th Street, NY, NY.

Originally posted by Vince
I've seen people living in cardboard boxes under bridges in SF and beggars on the streets every time I've been there. Yet this heartless bitch can spend 100 mil to indulge her fantasy of being governor and maybe someday president. And people will vote for her too! Your nation is seriously fucked up. Sorry.

Dear Vince, what was your first clue? The cardboard boxes or the inhumanity under the bridges? I totally agree, BTW.

Last edited:

simbasa12

Experimental Member
Media
Yeah all this in a state run by liberals. I'm not saying she's an angel of mercy but what I am saying is liberals are certainly no better. They claim to help the poor and minorities, but the bottom line is they just use them for their own purpose of their own power trip. Be honest- this state is seriously fucked up in many ways...and it's not because of conservatives. Regardless of the constant bickering btween conservatives and libs in California, this state is powered by liberals. It always amazes me how biased people can be that they can't see the obvious.

Last edited:

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The homeless problem can be traced to Ronald Reagan, both as governor and as president.

Yeah all this in a state run by liberals. I'm not saying she's an angel of mercy but what I am saying is liberals are certainly no better. They claim to help the poor and minorities, but the bottom line is they just use them for their own purpose of their own power trip. Be honest- this state is seriously fucked up in many ways...and it's not because of conservatives. It always amazes me how biased people can be that they can't see the obvious.

simbasa12

Experimental Member
Media
Like it or not, big money rules our electoral process. It's one of the ugliest sides of our entire political structure.
That it does. On both sides of the fence. Money talks. That's life. Look at guys like Larry Ellison of Oracle. Always got what he wanted, including other guys fiances- his current wife. Couldn't get the Warriors NBA team though, even though he bid higher. He was shocked. First time his $ didn't get him what he wanted. Other than that 99.9% success rate.

simbasa12

Experimental Member
Media
The homeless problem can be traced to Ronald Reagan, both as governor and as president.
OK whatever you say. I could find evidence to the contrary dating even farther back. It's an endless cycle of bullshit. Point is, we are all in this together but it takes 2 to tango and both sides don't play nice. Not just 1 side.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I really think it's a result of genuine fundamental disagreement about policy and, more broadly, the direction of, and vision for the country.

A lot, maybe most of it, as least on the Republican side, is based in ideology, about which they seem very rigid. And the smirky air of superiority assumed by guys like John Boehner and Eric Cantor doesn't help.

OK whatever you say. I could find evidence to the contrary dating even farther back. It's an endless cycle of bullshit. Point is, we are all in this together but it takes 2 to tango and both sides don't play nice. Not just 1 side.

Last edited:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah all this in a state run by liberals. I'm not saying she's an angel of mercy but what I am saying is liberals are certainly no better. They claim to help the poor and minorities, but the bottom line is they just use them for their own purpose of their own power trip. Be honest- this state is seriously fucked up in many ways...and it's not because of conservatives. Regardless of the constant bickering btween conservatives and libs in California, this state is powered by liberals. It always amazes me how biased people can be that they can't see the obvious.

The state is fucked up because it's impossible to govern. You can't rule a state as large as California by direct democracy. People want their cake, and they want to eat it too- but without having to pay for said cake. The conservatives passed Prop 13 in 1978, and it's been all downhill from there. Crazy initiative after crazy initiative- locking in 75% of the budget before it even reaches the legislature for consideration. The state constitution needs a serious overhaul.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

No, he was correct. Ronald Reagan, when he was governor, in the 60s, closed the state mental hospitals- resulting in the biggest increase in homelessness this state had ever seen.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Surprisingly enough, there are a couple of good initiatives on the ballot this November- legal pot, AND (!) passing a budget by a vote of 50%+1. It looks like it's going to pass with flying colors- finally, the state GOP will be irrelevant.

Yeah that one is good, but as you point out in a latter post, 75% of the state budget is locked in, before the legislators even meet. The 2/3 super majority needs to be adjusted, that being said, so does the level of state spending which goes right back to Prop. 13. Property tax was enacted to have a stable revenue base for local governments. Prop. 13 undermined state tax revenues so now CA tax collections more closely resemble a stock quarterly corporate earnings, rather than the stable tax base they need to be. I'm curious what Brown has to say on this. If nothing else, Prop. 13 should be invalidated for corporate stock transfers of real estate assets.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A) it helped California's economy
B) it was 'mostly' her money
C) Who the fuck cares?

A- wrong. it did not. I recall seeing an expose about this in the LA Times or some such place. A good chunk of her money is going to out of state ad companies and consultants.

B- True. No one is disputing that

C- California residents. Meg WHitman hadnt voted for DECADES before a few years ago. Couldnt be bothered. In fact, she had upped an dmoved her family to Massachusetts for a long period. Said it was a better place to raise her family. Now all of a sudden she tries to buy the governorship? You don't think there's something wrong with a situation where a rich person comes along and swamps everybody in their path? Hell, if you knew squat about California history, you would know that the Brown family is huge in California history. Jerry's father was governor. His sister ran for govenor against Pete Wilson in 1994. For a dynastic political family to be overwhelmed by a political neophyte who has all of a sudden decided she cares about politics and wants the governorship of the largest and richest state in the Union is ridiculous.