Memorial Day

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by nudeyorker, May 24, 2009.

1. nudeyorker

Gold Member

How are you spending it?
    Yesterday I visited my first partner at his cemetery. My mother, father and brother were all cremated so I made donations in their names at The American Cancer Society and Mothers against Drunk Drivers...
    On a lighter note. I just finished making potato salad and a cherry pie, and will make fried chicken tomorrow! No matter how you spend it take a moment and think about the contribution your departed friends and loved ones have made to your life.

2. chicagosam

Gold Member

Just had news that someone I know will be returning from Afghanistan. Safely. It's a day to be grateful for such events where this is not the case for some. It's a day to remember those that will come home home and those who will not, and the loved ones that will celebrate a return or end up in mourning.

On a lighter note, what time should I come over?

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Um... I think I'm getting lucky tonight...any time after 12:00 is fine!:wink:
    PS...is this who I think it is? I'm so happy, you made my day.

4. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    i talked to my brother who is a Vietnam vet. He's recovering from prostate surgery. Nudey I want your fried chicken recipe!

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Roll your chicken parts in salt, pepper and paprika, dredge in buttermilk and roll in pancake mix. Heat a skillet at 300 degrees with crisco oil and slowly fry for about a half hour...enjoy!
    PS a standing ovation to your brother! Hope he has a speedy recovery!

6. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Interesting recipe. A must try! thx. I thank God everyday he's still alive. He went thru hell in that war and rec'd several medals too. That whole VN era was crazy even tho I was really young during it. Love my brothers!

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

My first BF did not come home from Vietnam. I was verrrrrrrry young! Again I will keep your brother in my thoughts!

8. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

My son and I are going to a friends house for a big BBQ. Last I heard there were supposed to be 18-20 adults, God knows how many kids. It'll be a blast! My friend is cooking all the meat - brats, burgers, BBQ chicken, steak - and everyone else is bringing sides. I'll be contributing BBQ baked beans, thanks to the amazing steak/BBQ restaurant that my dad works at. :tongue: No work on my part! lol

9. Sassy

Sassy Member

I'll be visiting my honey's family at the cemetery. Afterward, he's cooking barbecue for the remainder of his family.

10. crescendo69

Gold Member

I have spent the last several Memorial Weekends driving to the Atlanta Jazz Festival after playing at a church Sunday in Gatlinburg. I would watch 1 1/2 days of jazz, visit the Outwrite Bookstore, maybe a gay club or jazz bar, then drive home late Monday. But they have cut Monday off their schedule this year, so I stayed home. Boring.

11. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Riding my horse.

12. naughty

Gold Member

On Saturday, I had dinner and saw a movie with Mindseye and Steve319. We went to see "Night at the Museum:Battle of the Smithsonian" at an IMAX theatre right there at the Smithsonian. Today, is probably going to be a bit more quiet. I should go to the cemetery to put flowers on my dad's grave or to Arlington to visit my aunt , uncle and cousin who are buried there.

13. chicagosam

Gold Member

Yes. It has made a lot of people's day.:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice