Men and alcohol

headbang8: I woke up with a hangover this morning.  No big deal; it happens about once a week.  In a particularly jolly week, maybe twice.

As usual, this hangover began at my local, an Irish pub upstairs from a ramen shop on the way home from the station.  We regulars often joke that it's the world's least-Irish Irish-pub.  For a start, it’s in the centre of Tokyo.  The kitchen does a brisk trade in nachos, spring rolls and yakitori.  The owners are from Ghana; they employ a Polish-Australian manager; his deputy, a Japanese guy raised in New Zealand; the bar staff consists of a Nepalese-Czech girl, an Italian backpacker, a female ex-Israeli Army private, and a Brazilian beach boy.  I do not recall an Irish man or woman ever setting foot in the place.  

Then again, who recalls much after a few pints, anyway?   It doesn’t really matter, since my local is very local.   A five-minute toddle home, easy to negotiate even if I’ve had a few.  

A convivial habit, and one that so far caused no trouble.  Until the company health insurance questionnaire came around.

Yours truly has plenty to make an insurance company nervous.  My father was a mature-onset diabetic, and I carry quite a few extra pounds.  I’ve seen a shrink more than once.  I’m in “a high-risk group for HIV”—that is, I’m gay.   It doesn’t matter if you test negative, always practiced safe sex, and have a monogamous relationship; in actuarial terms, all gay men are bare-backing libertines.

Curiously, none of that worried our insurance company.  They think I drink too much.

I wrote that in the course of an average week, my partner and I would split a bottle of wine over dinner, I’d have a couple of glasses at a business function, and that I would visit the pub on Fridays for a serious session—maybe four or five pints over the course of three hours.   This, they said, added up to twenty one “standard drinks”, borderline acceptable.  

Hmmm…it gave me pause to think.    There’s certainly the gene for alcoholism in my family.   But my drinking habits are waaay below that level—I’ve seen what real alcoholism is.

It’s nowhere near what my buddies and I could put away when we were young.   To borrow a phrase from P.J. O’Rourke, my college pals majored in Women and Beer.   I may have flunked Women, but passed Beer with distinction.

And my industry (advertising) has a strong focus on well-lubricated socializing and business entertainment.   If our insurance company is worried about someone like me, they must really fret over many of my colleagues.  

Most of the authorities on safe-drinking have an agenda to push.   Some actively promote moderate drinking as healthy.    On the other hand, the nanny-state types who infest government and the so-called "caring professions" spread alarm over even quite modest alcohol consumption.

There could be something cultural at work, too.  Our old health insurance company was European; the new, American.   Are American companies more cautious because of the litigious environment, or do Americans really drink that much less nowadays?  

So, guys, what’s your street-wisdom on the subject?   How many is one-too-many?  Do you sometimes go out with the clear intention of getting drunk?   Is it ever acceptable to get drunk?  

Do teatotallers find drinking functions a bore?   On those occasions where I’m a designated driver or just don’t feel like a drink, I find the company of even mildly tipsy people is tedious, but after consuming a glass or two of charm juice myself, they turn into fascinating raconteurs.

I would hate to make a big change in my drinking life.  Business drinking would be easy to give up, I guess—it’s seldom a real pleasure.   But I introduced my partner to the culture of wine early in our courtship, and it’s a special, sentimental joy that fine wine brings us.   And I treasure the warmth and fellowship of my local pub, with the smart, funny, wise people who go there.

Sorry to ramble.   If I were drunk I’m sure I’d be more concise!   This post isn't about having a big dick, of course.   But there are eleven thousand men on the LPSG list, so it seems a good place to explore an important subject that affects male health and well-being.  

So what’s your life with alcohol?

Cheers,

hb8

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I put the stuff away permanently in 1970. Never a drinker anyway (and never drunk), a beer or two would put me to sleep. My dad, before he was killed driving drunk, was a violent alcoholic. I guess I feared the loss of control.

Going to a party where alcohol is served isn't just boring, it makes me feel excluded, sort of like going to a whorehouse with friends and sitting in the parlor perusing an old Reader's Digest waiting until they're done, so we can leave.

Javierdude22: Hm...good topic.

Yes I drink. I really like wine, something poured into me (literally and figuratively speaking) from since I was a kid. I Spain, kids from 6 years and onwards drink Vino Tinto with gaseosa. A sort of Sprite to make it less heavy.

As of 16 I started tasting all other things. In my exchange program in California I worried for a while if I had a drinking problem since I got drunk 4 times a week, it turned out to be the environment I was in.

Nowadays, whenever I get the chance I drink something. In clubs or bars never too much, it has become SUPERexpensive in Holland to get even close to drunk, and it can be dangerous in a club. At a houseparty or somewhere I know there will be no problem, I let loose completely, and highly enjoy the trip I must confess.

But, in all honesty, getting flat drunk happens maybe 4 times a year now, good enough 4 me.

Either way, I dont really know if your drinking too much man, its hard to tell from where Im at. But, it does sound like you may want to turn it down a notch...one glass of whine a day is very healthy, two maybe as well, but anything over the average of that can cause serious liver problems. And you dont wanna mess with the liver.

prepstudinsc: Basically a non-drinker here....for several reasons:
1. religious
2. alcoholism runs on both sides of the family
3. I don't really like it

I will have a drink now and then.....maybe 3 or 4 a year.
Usually a beer with pizza or a gin and tonic. One drink is plenty, because it knocks me for a loop. I just don't need it to have a good time and when I do drink, I never end up finishing the drink, because I usually am buzzed by the time I get halfway through the drink. I guess I'm a cheap date!

fourtwenty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
uh yeah, i drink. sometimes alot.

but i guess that since i'm only 21, and have drank at family occasions since i was 17, and live in fucking NEBRASKA where nothing goes on in a po-dunk town shy of 4000 ppl, you tend to drink alot. i've been drinking w/ friends since i was 14.

headbang8: [quote author=fourtwenty link=board=meetgreet;num=1079843702;start=0#6 date=03/21/04 at 23:51:01]uh yeah, i drink. sometimes alot. But i guess that since i'm only 21, and have drank at family occasions since i was 17, and live in fucking NEBRASKA where nothing goes on in a po-dunk town shy of 4000 ppl, you tend to drink alot. i've been drinking w/ friends since i was 14.[/quote]

4&20, what do you mean by "a lot"?

ORCABOMBER: I dunno, Headbang if you seriously can't even consider NOT holding back on one bottle, so it's habbit-forming, the insurance guys may be trying to hint. :-[

Anyhoo, I drink, but I don't get drunk, I know my limits and I talk far too much, I drink for the flavour and to be social, but I don't "need" alcohol as such, I regard it as another drink. It's why I do sometimes have bad habbits such as mixing drinks etc. ;D