Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you consider yourself a feminist?

I went out with a girl, and she was great and all, told me her stomach did flips when we met, really attracted to me, but conflicted, because she was a feminist, and I wasn't.

I don't consider myself a feminist, I believe in equal rights for all, and consider feminism the politics of exclusion, not unity.

So, I was curious, how many men on these boards consider themselves feminists?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've no idea what a feminist is - more to the point I don't care

You may have just rendered yourself totally unappealing to the women on the site.

A feminist supports equal rights, treatment, and opportunities for women.

Slightly surprised the poll at this point has a majority of misogynists.

Last edited:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've no idea what a feminist is - more to the point I don't care

Bingo. Such labels are largely arbitrary and amorphously defined, and hold no meaning for me whatsoever.

As Phil is fond of saying, they're just a means to stereotype...to remove the need for independent thought. No thanks. I'd rather make my own determination of people based on their expressed words and deeds, not go by some label they wear.

You may have just rendered yourself totally unappealing to the women on the site.

Hardly. You're actually insulting the women on this site, most of whom have demonstrated their capacity and preference for doing exactly as I mentioned above.

D_Botchely Boneher

Account Disabled
Media
Feminism and Abortion

You get a woman pregnant. You want the child, she doesn't. She can have it destroyed.
You get a woman pregnant. You don't want the child, she does. You have to pay for it.

Mystifying.

Feminism and Children's Rights

Baby girls sleep soundly in American hospitals, protected by law from so much as a pin prick (as well they should), while a roughly $200 million business has been made out of mutilating the genitals of little boys.

Mystifying.

____

Nah, feminists were great when they had something to argue about. I won't pretend I've understood anything they'd been babbling about for at least the past couple of decades.

Making abortion (which I regard as an aberration) the sacred cow of feminism was a grotesque mistake.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
I fully support liberal feminism to an, um, conservative extent. I believe in gender equality but understand that equality doesn't - and shouldn't - remove or ignore the fundamental differences and unique characteristics of each gender.

As for burning bras, assaulting government patriarchs and claiming make-up is the devil's work... get the fuck out of my face.

Psst! I'm secretly a Separatist - now get the jello & bikinis and please allow us lowly men to observe? :biggrin:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media

A feminist supports equal rights, treatment, and opportunities for women.

Slightly surprised the poll at this point has a majority of misogynists.

I think that is what feminist used to mean... I'm not sure it does any more :frown1:, I think New End may have a point.

I'm an egalitarian - seeing as we are all unique I may as well support the rights of everyone, and hope they return the favour.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
while a roughly $200 million business has been made out of mutilating the genitals of little boys.

You now owe me quite a bit of money for the damage done to my office by your credibility when it broke the sound barrier on its way out the door.

Last edited:

B_becominghorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Mostly no, but sometimes slightly yes. Sounds twee, but, as Ethel Merman used to say 'but I got my health so whaddo I keer...' I like women to be feminine in old-fashioned traditional ways and not butch-acting, otherwise they are like dykes; which doesn't mean I don't like tough women. One perfect feminist is Catherine Deneuve, whom I admire as much as any man. Some strong women who don't identify with the Women's Movement I also admire as much as any man--like Joan Didion, the best woman writer in America.

I know an especially rabid feminist from Cambridge, UK, whom I loathe. She tries to emasculate every male who comes anywhere near her, and tried to do this with me. This kind of woman can temporarily make you think you're a misogynist, but I'm not one just because she wants to be a closet drum dyke.

Other feminists, like Susan Sontag, I also can't stand, even though she's both brilliant and dead. I heard her speak twice, once she was this very high-priestess sort of personality, the other time just a pushy dyke (this was right after she wrote that stupid 9/11 piece for the New Yorker, and she spent the whole evening telling us how wonderful she was. I expected her to do a Tarzan yell at any moment.)

Last edited:

D_Botchely Boneher

Account Disabled
Media
You now owe me quite a bit of money for the damage done to my office by your credibility when it broke the sound barrier on it's way out the door.
I beg your pardon?

You are questioning either:

1) That circumcision of neonates makes roughly $200 million in the United States. (Not mentioning the value of the prepuce which can be sold, not merely for research purposes but also to cosmetics companies)

or

2) The circumcision of infant males is mutiliation.

or

3) Both

I'm quite stupid, so you'll have to speak slowly.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Bingo. Such labels are largely arbitrary and amorphously defined, and hold no meaning for me whatsoever.

As Phil is fond of saying, they're just a means to stereotype...to remove the need for independent thought. No thanks. I'd rather make my own determination of people based on their expressed words and deeds, not go by some label they wear.

Hardly. You're actually insulting the women on this site, most of whom have demonstrated their capacity and preference for doing exactly as I mentioned above.

That is ridiculous. There is certainly no reason for stereotyping or failure to think things through for oneself. Rather it brings a person to consider what, not being a woman, they have not personally experienced, and become more aware.

Some people choose to be ignorant.

It is you who are rude and gratuitously insulting.

Looks like you're in your attacking asshole/bullshit mode again. I wonder why self respecting person would suffer living with such abusive behavior.

A person who gets off on baiting others is not worth a response.

Last edited:

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Feminism and Abortion

You get a woman pregnant. You want the child, she doesn't. She can have it destroyed.
You get a woman pregnant. You don't want the child, she does. You have to pay for it.

Mystifying.

Baby girls sleep soundly in American hospitals, protected by law from so much as a pin prick (as well they should), while a roughly $200 million business has been made out of mutilating the genitals of little boys.

Mystifying.

____

Nah, feminists were great when they had something to argue about. I won't pretend I've understood anything they'd been babbling about for at least the past couple of decades.

Making abortion (which I regard as an aberration) the sacred cow of feminism was a grotesque mistake.

She was very very much so against circumsicion actually. Our first debate was about that. I let her win... since its no big deal to me either way. Maybe I should have just let her win them all until I fucked her.

Then I would be just another "rape", since she considered 7 out of 8 of her sexual experiences rape. I probably should have stopped trying to reconcile with her right there.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Feminism and Abortion

Mystifying.

Mystifying.

____

This is a case where a potential father should have the right to equal participation in the decision.

In the case where a woman wishes to have a child, and the person who contributed the sperm does not, him having the right to legally opt out of parental rights and responsibilities before birth should be possible.

It is a bit more difficult the other way around, heterosexuality does have some down sides.

This is also a male complaint, so is slightly beside the point to the OP, unless we stretch feminism to be equal treatment regardless of gender.

I am alienated by both sides in the abortion issue, I would not have one myself. I oppose legally restricting somone elses choice.

Last edited:

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is also a male complaint, so is slightly beside the point to the OP, unless we stretch feminism to be equal treatment regardless of gender.

That is exactly what they claim... they say feminism "just means" they want equality between the sexes, but god forbid you talk of inequality towards men.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
aum how does feminism mean they want equal rights.

i've heard several statements my feminist saying that women are smarter,better yadda yadda blah balh.

personally i feel that one gender cant survive without teh other. and last time i checked , humans arent asexual. so i would think science also agrees

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
I think any man who considers himself a feminist is just a suck-up. It's sort of like a white guy claiming to be a member of the Nation of Islam or the Black Panthers. You can't be a member!

You can be male and believe in the equality of the sexes. But in my mind you have to be female to be a feminist.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You are questioning either:

2) The circumcision of infant males is mutiliation.

That's the one.

While I'm here, I'm putting in a polite request for you to get rid of that saccharine platitude in your sig.

I will politely decline. Feel free to sip some absinthe if the sweetness becomes more than you can bear.

That is ridiculous. There is certainly no reason for stereotyping or failure to think things through for oneself. Rather it brings a person to consider what, not being a woman, they have not personally experienced, and become more aware.

So what are you saying? Are you asserting that the identification with compartmentalized labels is not a mechanism of stereotyping? Or that it doesn't discourage individual analysis? If that's the case, I assure you that you're quite mistaken. That's the primary purpose of using such labels...to allow others to prejudge you beliefs absent ever hearing them directly from you, nor ever witnessing your deeds in action.

kalipygian said:
Some people choose to be ignorant.

So it wasn't a mistake on your part...it was a deliberate choice. Good to know.

kalipygian said:
It is you who are rude and gratuitously insulting.

Looks like you're in your attacking asshole/bullshit mode again. I wonder why self respecting person would suffer living with such abusive behavior.

A person who gets off on baiting others is not worth a response.

Ad hominem, apropos of nothing that went before it...yet your valedictory remark was quite amusing, considering. :biggrin1:

Last edited: