Men back in the late 1880's to early 1900's & Sex

L4S1ICT

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I was thinking last night when I was watching a old movie on TV that was set back in the late 1880's to early 1900's. Do you think guys were easier to get with back in the day, or do you think that us bi/gay guys would be jailed, torched, or hanged for trying to have sexual relations with a man?

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Co-incidentally,I was thinking about this earlier today. I'm curious too, but would like a reference(s) book with more reliability than 'Wikipedia'. Preferably, that's honest, open and inciteful. If anyone knows of such a book/publication, please let us know.
Joe

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
Go to a city with really close-minded people to understand the discrimination. The only gay bar in my home city got burnt down and gay guys are often beaten the shit out of in public or at school.

Lesbians seem to be ok though.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Thanks for the link, Indy. Looks like it'll be a decent read. I think one of the unfortunate misconceptions, is that homosexuality has only encountered three periods in history:
1) "Oh, Ancient Greece: The Glorious 'Good Old Days'",
2) "Burn at the stake, witch: Persecution of the 'Other'", and
3) "Stonewall, and Beyond: The Modern Era"

More and more, there are histories and investigations coming to the surface, shedding light on the second period, which seem to almost shock people, in the occasional live-and-let-live attitudes of acceptance. In the U.S., two notable sub-periods gathering recent attention are the Civil War era, and the larger era of westward expansion (mainly Gold Rush, and logging camps).

We love to look back, and see the past as primitive. However, as in the recent thread about "gay" used generically by the young as a negative adjective " http://www.lpsg.org/77884-gay-as-a-badword.html ", fear of being naked around other men (as we've seen in the countless locker room threads here), and the passage of anti-gay legislation in many states, it almost seems that as many strides as have been made toward us "...all get(ting) along," homophobia is still very alive and healthy in the U.S., and we're not hugely ahead of those who went before us.

D

deleted298367

I think it's really interesting to know what it's like before our time. Like, I enjoy the thrill of hiding and being with a guy behind the scenes, like nobody else knowing. I can only imagine that's how it was way back when for the most part.

Branleur49008

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Co-incidentally,I was thinking about this earlier today. I'm curious too, but would like a reference(s) book with more reliability than 'Wikipedia'. Preferably, that's honest, open and inciteful. If anyone knows of such a book/publication, please let us know.
Joe

Hey jojo, here's a book I read a few years ago and thought it was quite interesting: Amazon.com: Gay New York: Gender, Urban Culture, and the Making of the Gay Male World, 1890-1940: George Chauncey: Books