Men dancing together?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by BIGdkluver, Jun 7, 2007.

1. BIGdkluver

Gold Member

OK. I've been worrying about this for a long time:

If it's socially acceptable for two females to dance together in public, why isn't it all right for two males to dance together in public?

If two girls or two adult women dance together at a wedding reception, for example, no one accuses them of being lesbians. But if two males (either boys or adult men) dance together at the same reception, eyebrows would shoot up and people would get uncomfortable and disturbed whispers of "Homos!" or "Gay!" would soon be heard.

If it's OK for two females to dance together in public, it should be OK for two males to do the same thing! Why the double standard?? :confused:

2. danerain

Gold Member

Albums:
    American culture is filled with double standards, and this is one of them.

In certain cases it is seen as being okay for two men, or more, to dance together. . . I just can't think of one right now.

3. sykray

sykray Active Member

US society is homophobic. Any slight suggestion of men being close to men is suspect. you're right - there is nothing logical about it.

In other parts of the world, dancing together, holding hands, kissing each other are seen as acts of friendship not sexual interest.

4. snoozan

Gold Member

Actually men at wedding receptions regularly dance with each other, usually with a fair amount of alcohol involved. The difference is that the male-male dancing is usually a joke, a homoerotic joke that gets a lot of attention, while two women dancing is rather unremarkable. Well, unless they are grinding each other a little too much, then they get some admirers.

5. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    um, well you could start with orthodox jews, arabs, sufi mystics, scottish folk dances, folk dances of any sort, sword dances, and the all male trocadero ballet. Byzantine men had many stylized dances together, so did ancient romans and greeks, and most soldiers traditionally had victory dances. African & native american men dance together in coming of age and mating rituals. The polynesians have a fantastic secret mating dance in which sometimes males mate with males.

But, hmm. Apart from that, I'm drawing a blank too. Do eskimos dance?

6. smoothrnb

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's all about how men are socialized and taught the traditional gender roles in American society. We are "supposed to be" tough and independent. This "macho" attitude is not compatible with dancing and handing hands with other men. I believe this gradually disappearing in society, but it is still well-rooted in parts of the USA.

7. musclebutt2

musclebutt2 New Member

Albums:
  8. Blocko

Blocko Member

My friends and I get drunk and dance together all the time... Whenever we go out actually... we have little competitions to see who can bust the best moves.

Often me :biggrin1:

9. musclebutt2

musclebutt2 New Member

Albums:

Aaaaaaaw, you're so damn cute :smile: (just you, not your friends; I can't see pics of their engorged cocks)

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

11. dreamer20

Gold Member

Only very disturbed people would get uncomfortable with this at a party or a wedding. I have never come across such persons. I have no problem with males or boys dancing together in public, especially at a wedding reception. You must have been a wallflower when everyone else was dancing to the music of the 70's, 80's and 90's. Where is this town of demented homophobes in which you live?
    Obviously it is not in Asia, Europe, Canada, Central or South America, Hawaii, Indonesia, the Caribbean or Japan.

12. NCbear

Gold Member

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

NCbear (who has a quirky sense of humor when he can't sleep and it's the middle of the night)

13. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Maybe they dream of bears in NC who wear teddies. :wink:

14. NCbear

Gold Member

All right now hootie man. You're offline again. Did you come on LPSG just to yank my chain in this thread and escape after a little laughter?

NCbear (who always enjoys hootie's posts)

15. chesz001

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well,maybe becoz people are not used seeing two men dancing together.i for myself find it ahmm...awkward..maybe sonner if we all see two guys dancing everywhere..lol.and consider the society and cultural differences.

16. 490068001

490068001 New Member

The only way to raise awareness is by educating them further. Not to put you on the spot light or anything but in definition of the word ‘Eskimo’ refers to ‘raw meat eaters’ Inuit would be the politically correct definition. I don’t hear that word anymore but that’s because I live in Canada and Inuit has just become the common use.

Now you know.

Oh and along topic lines. It is very common in other cultures for men to dance with men. Mostly because in the past fathers didn’t want their wives or daughters dancing with other men. So the women danced with women and the men danced with men. Western perceptions on this are completely skewed. Perhaps it was our ever so expandable exception for the other gender that lead to a homophobic relationship in dance? But that’s just my opinion.

17. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

I can't afford to think about you in a teddy right now. I have to get up and go to work. With the ho's already checking out my crotch, I sure don't need to add any pants fulfillment.

Draft saved Draft deleted