Men don`t cry.

D

deleted556573

I have a bit of a different perspective on this, from my own life experiences.

In the last 20 years, I've cried twice. In February 2008, I promptly threw out my boyfriend when I found out he cheated on me while I was out of town. The dissolution of my relationship wasn't the catalyst for the cry...it was when I finally finished moving out of our one bedroom apartment and had to walk away for the last time, where I lost it. I still haven't figured out why. It was only for a minute or so, and I never had the urge to shed another tear about him, us, or what once was. Which is good, because he's really shown his true colors since our split up as to who he really is.

Later that year (May 2008) when my brother suddenly died, I cried HEAVILY at his funeral. I haven't cried since.

Having said that, I've never viewed males crying as a sign of weakness; to me it was more of a sign of strength. For many years, I actually envied guys that actually cried, or could cry, because I was so emotionally detached from everything that I couldn't, even though there were many times I wished I could have, or SHOULD have. It's only been within the last few years that I can actually feel myself getting a little emotional when watching a sad movie, or talking about tragedies that have struck in my life. It's nice to be able to actually feel emotions and be able to purge the poisons from my system that have been bottled up for so many years.

Zayne

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Crying about someone's dying and crying over a break-up are two different things. Stuffing or expressing feelings about death is the way a person copes with death. Sobbing because the relationship does not work or because the girl wants out is weak.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Crying about someone's dying and crying over a break-up are two different things. Stuffing or expressing feelings about death is the way a person copes with death. Sobbing because the relationship does not work or because the girl wants out is weak.
That is patently ridiculous. The end of a relationship is often the death of something cherished. It is a loss and possibly even a failure. Feelings of bereavement at the termination of a relationship are normal, as is crying as a brief salve for the ache of loss.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
There's nothing sexy about emotional constipation.

I don't believe in emotional constipation, I believe in mutually unintelligible emotional languages which can make it appear as though someone is emotionally constipated because if you don't understand their emotional vocabulary then you're unlikely to read their behaviour for the right emotional cues.

Bullshit and more bullshit.

First piece of bullshit: the jargon of "being in touch with one's feelings"--as if feelings were persons distinct from oneself with whom one is in communication. "Been in touch with your feelings lately?" "Yes, I got a nice postcard from one of them the other day."

Second piece of bullshit: the assumption that a man who does not cry lacks self-awareness or self-knowledge. Nobody is readier to give vent to his feelings than a child: I would hardly consider a child a model of self-awareness; quite the contrary. In fact it takes self-awareness to control one's feelings.

Third piece of bullshit: the idea that not crying in front of other people shows a lack of concern for them. I would say that it is just as common for people who cry in front of others to be self-absorbed manipulators, even--or perhaps especially--if they are unaware of what they are doing. The worst manipulators of other people are the ones who do it by instinct and without self-awareness, through the display of emotions of distress and hurt.

Fourth piece of bullshit: "It doesn't matter when a person cries. If a guy is integrated as a human being, he cries when his feelings arise in him." Every socially competent adult, male or female, knows better than this. There are plenty of situations in which crying will have very bad consequences for you and perhaps for others who depend on you. E.g., if you hold a position of responsibility and go boo-hooing when the going gets tough for you, you are not going to hold that position for very long.

I agree with you completely in this Cal. To be a grown up is to be in charge of how you behave and how you react to the feelings you have. There are of course extreme situations in which no one could be expected to have control of themselves but in general terms emotional responsibility and being aware of the effect emotional expression has on those around you is one of the key attributes of an adult personality.

Your attitude is exactly what is fundamentally wrong with American males. As long as men and women like you have these backward and unaware ideas, we as a people will be the continual laughing stock of the planet. Manipulation has nothing to do with emotions unless the person is unconscious...like a child or a dissociative adult. Being in touch with one's feelings doesn't mean acting out. It means knowing what is arising in your mental and emotional states in order to integrate yourself as a full human being.

Now maybe you're used to telling people to their face that their ideas are bullshit, to use your compassionate language, but that's not what I'm used to in intelligent conversation. To me you just proved your barbarian status, which seems to be more and more common on this site of late.

TBH Jon, if someone using the word "bullshit" makes you consider them a barbarian then you must live in some seriously cotton-candy, unicorns and carebears world. What Calboner was saying to you was incredibly sage and insightful even if you don't like that he used a swear.

This notion of being an emotionally disintegrated person because you don't turn into the equivalent of a screaming toddler in a supermarket everytime life throws you a curve ball is nonsense, and went out with primal screaming and astral projection in terms of how emotional wellbeing is commonly framed these days.

Is refusal to cry necessarily a denial of a range of emotion? I would argue that crying is merely one optional way to respond to an emotion or emotional situation. I would further insist that crying is never one's only option. I would also say that it is incredibly difficult to accomplish something useful and cry at the same time considering the degree to which crying can inhibit eyesight. This isn't to say that crying is or is not appropriate. However, isn't it sometimes appropriate to choose some other response and get things done?

See I don't cry very often, I can count the number of times I've cried in the last 15 years on one hand. It's most definitely not because I supress it, if I felt I needed to I would do so, but I'm just not someone who is on a constant emotional rollercoaster ride, and despite some of the awful things that have happened over the years I've never felt the strong urge to weep about them.

I almost never cry about stuff that's happened to me in fact, I'm more liable to mope and get moody if something horrible happens to me (which thankfully these days is rare enough) but even then my approach to misfortune or pain is normally to try and find a practical or problem-solving solution to whatever's happening rather than have a meltdown. I get emotional catharsis from having at least tried to do something concrete even if it was futile.

I cry (on those rare occassions I do so) about terrible things which have happened to other people, normally because I feel like I have no practical way of helping them, for me crying is an expression of helplessness and despair. Something I almost never feel about my own life, even if I do sometimes feel it about what's happening to someone else.

I don't think less of anyone for dealing with their emotions in whatever way is most authentic to them, but like Calboner I'm suspicious of people who use certain kinds of emotional display to manipulate the feelings of others.

If a guy cries it's not likely to make me think less of him unless I think it's inauthentic and an attempt to control the outcome of a given situation.

Do I think men should not cry? No I do not think that, but then I don't think women have carte blanche to cry at the drop of a hat either. I think both sexes should in adulthood be emotionally self aware enough to be able to calibrate and moderate how they express authentic emotion according to the effect doing so will have on those around them, which of course includes a huge range of behaviours not restricted to crying.

D_Fizzy Cola Bottles

Experimental Member
Media

I have to agree with you here, my friend. I don't think men should ever cry over break ups. I used to when I was a teenager but have now seen the light.

Men don't ever fall head over heels in love. Whatever attachment you feel for a girl, you should be able to release with some level of composure if she were to betray you or the relationship were to come to a close.

I know that's probably an unpopular opinion. But... Boys Don't Let Girls Make Them Cry.

MrToolhung

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't cry often because generally there is nothing to cry about. But when I do have something to cry about I will. Sometimes I good cry is necessary because it makes you feel better about life in general. However, that is just my opinion.

august86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
true, but emotional constipation is sexier than emotional diarrhea
Self-control is a great quality too.

Knowing when and where to open up if you have to is part of maturing, nobody likes to see someone crying in public, especially a grown man. However yes everybody cries.
Practising discretion as well.

Men can cry but they shouldn't cry a lot, like too frequently. And they should have a good reason to cry. Tears are like money, don't spend frivolously. Men don't get swept up in emotion...

And they should cry alone. Not as a group thing and if possible not in front of a lot of people.

And they should wipe their eyes with their sleeves or fingers, not a hanky because that's kind of pathetic and making the whole thing too prim. And they should not cry over a lady no matter how deep they feel the love because that's kind of pathetic too.

And you know, men don't ride emotional roller coasters. They can shed tears over one solid emotion or perhaps be torn by two, but men don't get frazzled by a whole complex of feelings.

And real men shouldn't talk too much while they are crying--don't explain the whole thing, just cry silently and valiantly. Like a soldier in the chaos of the battlefield who can't see through all the gun smoke and has one leg bent and broken.

You know--men of glory have the right to cry.
This killed me! I like the way you list them like legislation from the 1920s. :cool:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have to agree with you here, my friend. I don't think men should ever cry over break ups. I used to when I was a teenager but have now seen the light.

Men don't ever fall head over heels in love. Whatever attachment you feel for a girl, you should be able to release with some level of composure if she were to betray you or the relationship were to come to a close.

I know that's probably an unpopular opinion. But... Boys Don't Let Girls Make Them Cry.
This seems weird to me, especially the claim "Men don't ever fall head over heels in love." They don't?

B_doogie888

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't even understand how this thread is still going. Men have emotions. Men can be upset. Men should not express those feelings through crying unless they want to be seen as a vagina. End of story.

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't even understand how this thread is still going. Men have emotions. Men can be upset. Men should not express those feelings through crying unless they want to be seen as a vagina. End of story.

Glad you could clear that up for the whole male population.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I said nothing about "your" vagina. It is unbecoming of a man to act like a woman, hence I'll call him a fucking pussy or a crying vagina if he's going to act like one.

This is most likely the most sexist thing I've ever heard on this site. What planet are you on and what sort of women hang out with you? Referring to another man as a vagina or pussy is demeaning to all women. Are you saying that a man who is sensitive is feminine and of no value in your macho world? And if he is, is there something wrong with women?

Last edited:

D_JuanAFock

Experimental Member
Media
This is most likely the most sexist thing I've ever heard on this site. What planet are you on and what sort of women hang out with you? Referring to another man as a vagina or pussy is demeaning to all women. Are you saying that a man who is sensitive is feminine and of no value in your macho world? And if he is, is there something wrong with women?
I think you are taking the term a little too literally. If somebody calls you a dick are you offended or think it is a sexist remark? Do you get offended if somebody calls you an asshole?

Being called a pussy is just a pop culture slang term that means you are weak willed/cowardly. It is nothing against women.

I disagree with doogie on pretty much everything, but come on... gimme a break about the term pussy.

PS:
Pusillanimous has the same meaning as being called a pussy. Just a fun fact.

lafever

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Real men don't eat quiche, but they do shed a tear now and again.
I love quiche, but then again I'm not normal to begin with.

Men can cry, but pimps don't cry, they don't shed a tear
True ;)

IT does NOT show that you're weak. It shows that you are human! :mad:
I'm glad someone said it, by the way your gallery photo's are smokin hot!

I cry on a fairly regular basis. I'm kind of emotional.

Real men don't cry though when slicing onions.
Spoken like a true man, I'm so glad there's still men like you in the world.

I think that the important difference between men and women in the matter of crying is that many women, perhaps most, but few men, will use tears, with or without conscious design, as a means of coercing or manipulating others, especially men.
I hate it when someone uses tears to con others.

I am one who keeps emotions bottled up inside me. Not good i know. I always had a hard time crying. No matter how bad things were or upset i would get i couldn't cry. On October 30th 2010 my mother was killed in a car accident. I cried for days and even weeks. I still cry as it hits me out of the blue. It will take a very long time for me to get over this. To be frank i don't think i ever will. I shall never be the same. So please treasure your loved ones and give them a big hug and tell them you love them.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, my heart goes out to you.
I have a bit of a different perspective on this, from my own life experiences.

In the last 20 years, I've cried twice. In February 2008, I promptly threw out my boyfriend when I found out he cheated on me while I was out of town. The dissolution of my relationship wasn't the catalyst for the cry...it was when I finally finished moving out of our one bedroom apartment and had to walk away for the last time, where I lost it. I still haven't figured out why. It was only for a minute or so, and I never had the urge to shed another tear about him, us, or what once was. Which is good, because he's really shown his true colors since our split up as to who he really is.

Later that year (May 2008) when my brother suddenly died, I cried HEAVILY at his funeral. I haven't cried since.

Having said that, I've never viewed males crying as a sign of weakness; to me it was more of a sign of strength. For many years, I actually envied guys that actually cried, or could cry, because I was so emotionally detached from everything that I couldn't, even though there were many times I wished I could have, or SHOULD have. It's only been within the last few years that I can actually feel myself getting a little emotional when watching a sad movie, or talking about tragedies that have struck in my life. It's nice to be able to actually feel emotions and be able to purge the poisons from my system that have been bottled up for so many years.
I cried when my first girlfried left me for an older guy.
Sorry to hear about your brother, it's a nice thing to have real emotions.

One night I was watching this commercial about a guy who lost alot of weight, it was a life changer for him. I had tears in my eyes, I guess I'm human. To make a long story short, my first wife was comming down the stairs and caught me with tears in my eyes and laughed, I knew at that moment that our marriage would never last.

B_doogie888

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I'm saying a man that acts like a woman (in this case, cries) is a fucking pussy. This is not a sexist statement.

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm saying a man that acts like a woman (in this case, cries) is a fucking pussy. This is not a sexist statement.

I know I'm probably feeding the beast here but how is that not sexist? Your saying that any man who shows emotion through tears is acting like a woman. And that this action makes him a "insert derogatory female body part". And that isn't sexist? You might want to have your engine checked, I don't think its firing on all cylinders.