Men In Flip Flops...Wrong?

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Its an updated, contemporary look, and perfect for summer in the hot city. If you dont like it, just dont wear it. Its about freedom of choice, just like everything else in life. I am NOT into feet, but still think its kinda sexy

MH07

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know what happened in NYC @ 3 years ago when all of a sudden everywhere you went men were wearing flip flops. To me it looks ridiculous if you're not on the beach or at some sauna.
All over the city men must be getting hammertoes from gnarling their hideous toes towards the pavement trying to keep the ugly footwear on. 90% of the guys are practically falling out of them.
The the hideous day that I knew would arrive arrived.....I saw some trendster in a buisness suit and flip flps walking down the street, midtown 5th avenue, w/o even the faintest smirk on his face. Does it get any uglier?
When will this ugly trend ever end? Dear God tell me.

Reading the responses, I think this aversion to flip flops is a northeastern thing. Here in Texas (Houston), we don't wear them with suits (I do think that's weird), but everybody (including me), wears them at practically all other times. I mean, if you go to the Galleria on any given Saturday, you're going to see more flip flops than anything else. Male/female, gay/straight, black/white/hispanic/asian, you name it.

I don't get the "emasculating" part. Huge swath of the straight population here wears them and doesn't even give it a second thought. Same for the rest of the southern tier of cities (Atlanta/Miami/NOLA/Dallas/San Antonio/Phoenix/LA/San Diego).

prism

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
i don't get the issue here. when it's hot, whats wrong with flip flops? wear sneakers? those ugly "sport sandals"? the real issue on hand are the men who wear sandals with socks on. yes, SANDALS WITH SOCKS.

in summer it's really either flip flops, slip ons or moccasins.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
These are my "dress up" rubber slippers for festive occasions, Paul Smith was clever enough to find the perfect combination of leather and rubber!

Attachments

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Most of the time, the temperature is too cool to wear sandals here by the coast and your feet get cold. For that reason alone, I only wear flips at the beach. South Florida and Hawaii would be a different story.

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i don't get the issue here. when it's hot, whats wrong with flip flops? wear sneakers? those ugly "sport sandals"? the real issue on hand are the men who wear sandals with socks on. yes, SANDALS WITH SOCKS.

in summer it's really either flip flops, slip ons or moccasins.

Sock and sandals ONLY should be worn with a hawaian shirt, straw hat and fanny pack. Otherwise its just WRONG

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Flipflops -- yuck. But lately I've been slowly developing this foot appreciation thing, may be drifting toward foot fetish. Started when I met my hubby, who has gorgeous, sexy feet and as a native Californian thinks nothing of running around in nice sandals.

The flipflop thing seems to really be about some reverse-snob idea of "Yeah, I spent $120 on this haircut and it's all the more obvious because you're staring at my $1.99 footwear and trying to figure it out." Sorry; unimpressed.

I have more respect for my body, thus my attire. Actually, I spend on footwear like Carrie Bradshaw, but that's a completely different thread. After years of closed-toe footwear, the attached photos are what I'm sporting this summer.

My pet peeve (since I fly every week): jerks who take off their shoes and stick their bare feet in the air against the bulkhead. Actually, even people in shoes who do that. Feet on floor, please.

Attachments

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The flipflop thing seems to really be about some reverse-snob idea of "Yeah, I spent $120 on this haircut and it's all the more obvious because you're staring at my $1.99 footwear and trying to figure it out." Sorry; unimpressed.
Or maybe people just like them.

I like those Thai sandals. Very nice.

But the Crocs.. yuck. I hate Crocs. They look like shit and they make your feet smell.

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So just to clarify the point of this post, is the aversion to flipflops, OR to sandals in general ???? On men ONLY huh ???l.... why are they accepatable on women ? I have seen some chicks with some pretty gnarly feet.....

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So just to clarify the point of this post, is the aversion to flipflops, OR to sandals in general ???? On men ONLY huh ???l.... why are they accepatable on women ? I have seen some chicks with some pretty gnarly feet.....

Well as I've said in (I think) 2 previous posts....I....ME....expect to see that kind of footwear on women as i have seen since I was a child. This trend in men in flip flops is relatively new the last few years. I also expect to see men in sandals. Have you read anything I've posted or are you being contrary to be contrary? Yes some chicks have gnarly feet but I don't look at them. I've noticed this because of the way men walk in flip flops.
I honestly really don't care what folks wear...this has just grossed me out the last few seasons. Esp. hipster buisness men in suits wearing them b/c they think they're being hip and cool.

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well as I've said in (I think) 2 previous posts....I....ME....expect to see that kind of footwear on women as i have seen since I was a child. This trend in men in flip flops is relatively new the last few years. I also expect to see men in sandals. Have you read anything I've posted or are you being contrary to be contrary? Yes some chicks have gnarly feet but I don't look at them. I've noticed this because of the way men walk in flip flops.
I honestly really don't care what folks wear...this has just grossed me out the last few seasons. Esp. hipster buisness men in suits wearing them b/c they think they're being hip and cool.

OK, OK, i get your personal issues with it. No need to be bent out of shape. Some people just dont STUDY posts the way others do. Sorry i sorta read em in between my FULL time work....

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK, OK, i get your personal issues with it. No need to be bent out of shape. Some people just dont STUDY posts the way others do. Sorry i sorta read em in between my FULL time work....

I'm not bent JJ. I just thot I had explained what I meant in a few posts already. I work full time too!:wink:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So you heard about that unfortunate incident in Berlin. It was not my fault...really! Nail polish, I could slap you right now and not even feel it!:eek:
hahaha you do have a way with words dahlink. :kiss:

I'm wearing at work flip-flops today. With cream coloured capri pants and a black tanktop. Too hot for anything else. (don't worry, I have nice feet!)
*SNIP* Uhmm, my issue isn't your flip-flops it's the capri pants! :eek: Dude! Don't they have glamour dont's in Turkey? :confused: I know drag queens that wouldn't be caught dead in capri pants cause they think they are too girly. :tongue:

I see tourists riding around here on scooters wearing shorts and flip-flops. Now that's insane!
Why is that insane? :confused:
Barefoot on scooter
Flip-flops on scooter

Sock and sandals ONLY should be worn with a hawaian shirt, straw hat and fanny pack. Otherwise its just WRONG
Sounds like German or Japanese tourist attire. :yuck: Why would that combo be acceptable as compared to all the rest? :confused:

After years of closed-toe footwear, the attached photos are what I'm sporting this summer.
Love the Thai Sandal very elegant and simple.

My pet peeve (since I fly every week): jerks who take off their shoes and stick their bare feet in the air against the bulkhead. Actually, even people in shoes who do that. Feet on floor, please.
LOL My pet peeve is that the TSA still makes people take off flip-flops and sandals, when there is clearly no room for an incendiary device in their seasonal $1.99 or even $200 footwear. :irked: :angryfire:

So just to clarify the point of this post, is the aversion to flipflops, OR to sandals in general ???? On men ONLY huh ???l.... why are they accepatable on women ? I have seen some chicks with some pretty gnarly feet.....[/QUOTE]
The problem as I understood it, is men. Yes, that is true but let's face it. The women with nasty looking feet aren't much to look at from the ankle up either. :tongue: So, if they look like a hot mess from head to ankle, are you really surprised when their feet look like dirty, calloused tree roots? :confused:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I think this subject was discussed in a previous thread. Anyway, I've been wearing flip flops (otherwise known as thongs) for well over a decade... well before they became fashionable. I wear them in summer with jeans, balloony pants (those things weightlifters used to wear) or with nothing at all.

As always I've never given a "two-penny fuck" what anyone thought of it.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Socks and sandals are bizarre, but I've grown numb to seeing them on Germans and Seattleites. Both groups are equally clueless about how strange they look.

Media
Do what feels good.

Here in n. cali. EVERYONE wears flip-flps.

Thank you!

I bought 6 pairs at 1.00 a pair in different colors. The only downside is the flip-flop tan line. I also have a pair of Ocean Pacific flip-flops that are a bit thicker than regular ones.

It's too hot for sneakers most days. When I go to the beach, it's easier to hold my flip-flops while walking in the salty water.

I don't think they are digusting at all, however, all things within reason. I would not wear them with a suit of all things. Jeans yes, a suit NO!

London_Calling

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't have a problem with guys wearing flip flops, even in the city, although personally I can't wear them. I can never seem to keep the buggers on! If I ever have to run for a bus they always end up ten yards ahead of me! I like to wear my beat up old birkenstocks in the summer but even those can have a bloody mind of their own sometimes! :frown1: