Men who feel uncomfortable with nudity and seeing other men's junk in locker rooms, Why?

MrMickleGary

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Man, oh man, do we like discussing this subject. I just now came back from my gym/spa, where the average age is somewhere around 40, and literally everyone under 40 was wearing swimsuits in the sauna/steam/whirlpool, and not a single guy over 50 had so much as a towel wrapped around them. The 30-ish year old guy changing beside me did the towel dance, pulling his boxers onto his WET BODY under the towel with a huge degree of difficulty. Like, dude: Drop your towel, dry off for 10 seconds, then get dressed.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Man, oh man, do we like discussing this subject. I just now came back from my gym/spa, where the average age is somewhere around 40, and literally everyone under 40 was wearing swimsuits in the sauna/steam/whirlpool, and not a single guy over 50 had so much as a towel wrapped around them. The 30-ish year old guy changing beside me did the towel dance, pulling his boxers onto his WET BODY under the towel with a huge degree of difficulty. Like, dude: Drop your towel, dry off for 10 seconds, then get dressed.
I do agree there is a generational thing at play...but it still begs the question: unless the 30ish yr Olds are complaining about the excess effort they take to avoid nudity, why is it a thing to complain about amongst those that don't actively avoid communal nudity? If a man wants to put himself through the "towel dance", what other reason besides wanting to observe his nudity could you have for mounting a complaint?

MrMickleGary

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I do agree there is a generational thing at play...but it still begs the question: unless the 30ish yr Olds are complaining about the excess effort they take to avoid nudity, why is it a thing to complain about amongst those that don't actively avoid communal nudity? If a man wants to put himself through the "towel dance", what other reason besides wanting to observe his nudity could you have for mounting a complaint?
Please don't take my observation and conjecture as a complaint; I'm merely interested in the difference in attitude, and noticing that it's generational at my gym.

Reactions: kev2001 and JayPR

Jjdov27_2

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Further evidence why many straight men aren't trying to be communal with their nudity.
This is a thing, found within the very same forum... Some guys are trying to peacock and and window shop, others are trying to get dressed and mind their own business.
This is also my take, which I’ve expressed here before.

those bother by modesty often frame it as caring for the mental health of the modest. “He should be comfortably enough with his body….. to show it to me.”

it seems to me more of a plea that men they seem as sex object accommodate their desire to look at them…..

which is exactly why many men are modest in the first place.

Kade94

Expert Member
Media
Washington (Washington, D.C., United States)
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Further evidence why many straight men aren't trying to be communal with their nudity.
This is a thing, found within the very same forum... Some guys are trying to peacock and and window shop, others are trying to get dressed and mind their own business.
Yes, but as long as is just looking and not touching or harassing me, I couldn't care less if someone checks me out or think I have a nice dick. Personally, I am not gonna stop undressing at the locker room. I'll keep minding my business and if someone wants to look, so be it.

fusey_oct22

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual

And there's a third; guys who are trying to get dressed and mind their own business, but don't feel the need to make things more difficult for themselves by covering up all the time. I don't flaunt myself in there - and I can't recall anyone doing so in the thirty or so years since I first used communal changing rooms as a kid - but I also don't treat it any differently to how I'd get changed at home.

So I'll shower naked. I'll not care if I'm briefly exposed while drying my back with the towel. I'm not going to go around bouncing my dick in the faces of others, but equally I'm not going to go out of my way pretending it's the crown jewels and needs to be protected from view.

I also have no problem with others doing whatever they feel comfortable with, as long as they don't make others uncomfortable. I guess that goes for both of your examples. I'm entitled to think it's a bit odd though, as with anything else. Plus, I've never understood why anyone feels the need to get changed publicly and do a towel dance, when there are cubicles where they could change privately.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And there's a third; guys who are trying to get dressed and mind their own business, but don't feel the need to make things more difficult for themselves by covering up all the time. I don't flaunt myself in there - and I can't recall anyone doing so in the thirty or so years since I first used communal changing rooms as a kid - but I also don't treat it any differently to how I'd get changed at home.

So I'll shower naked. I'll not care if I'm briefly exposed while drying my back with the towel. I'm not going to go around bouncing my dick in the faces of others, but equally I'm not going to go out of my way pretending it's the crown jewels and needs to be protected from view.

I also have no problem with others doing whatever they feel comfortable with, as long as they don't make others uncomfortable. I guess that goes for both of your examples. I'm entitled to think it's a bit odd though, as with anything else. Plus, I've never understood why anyone feels the need to get changed publicly and do a towel dance, when there are cubicles where they could change privately.
It's not really a separate category, because my guess is that third group isn't making threads complaining about the lack of mutual nudity the 1st group can't help but bring up, and the 2nd group are actively/subconciously trying to avoid.
The elephant in the room the "why not nude" guys seem to avoid is evidenced by several threads within this very forum, where gay, bisexual, and exhibitionist men make it a point to exchange information about various locker rooms and spas and the amount of visibility they allow/encourage. Good on you for being above it all, but many of us aren't looking to be complacent wank fodder or shock value if we can help it.

cofrader

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This scene in the movie Crazy, Stupid, Love is a perfect example of this.

I guess they were trying humor and placing the character as a duche, he doesn’t even cover when his friend tells him, I would just walk away from this full of himself jerk leaving him talking alone.
Each can have different reasons for it, I guess an abuse would be the worse so just respect people to be respected

Reactions: kev2001

JayPR

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's not really a separate category, because my guess is that third group isn't making threads complaining about the lack of mutual nudity the 1st group can't help but bring up, and the 2nd group are actively/subconciously trying to avoid.
The elephant in the room the "why not nude" guys seem to avoid is evidenced by several threads within this very forum, where gay, bisexual, and exhibitionist men make it a point to exchange information about various locker rooms and spas and the amount of visibility they allow/encourage. Good on you for being above it all, but many of us aren't looking to be complacent wank fodder or shock value if we can help it.
It's a shame that you got the wrong impression of my question. I didn't post this question to complain about the lack of nudity in the locker rooms. I am not judging others people's behaviors or beliefs. I am genuinely curious about the reasons most men in North America feel uncomfortable around other naked men in these spaces. I wanted to see their point of view and see what is in their mind when they feel uncomfortable in those spaces because I don't feel the same way, so I can have a better understanding.

I feel very comfortable with being naked, but that doesn't have anything to do with me being gay or an exhibitionist. Maybe has to do more with me growing up in a non-religious household and being in sports since I was young. BTW, I am not an exhibitionist.

When I go to a gym/pool locker room, I just go to change, take a shower, and dress again. That's all about it. Yes, I am gay and will be lying if I say that I don't check out someone who I find attractive there, just a quick look, but that is not my main motivation to go there. It's the same as straight nudist guys going to a nude beach and saying that they don't check out attractive naked women there. It's not their main reason to go there, but they are not blind either. And that's totally different from being a perv.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It sometimes seems there is no shortage of threads within this forum when it comes to members both debating and lamenting why there is a shortage of men who feel secure enough to be more nude in gym locker rooms or showers. In fact, from observing the various repetition of topics over the years, this particular one almost seems neck and neck with ones where dudes are banking on sightings of ween at urinals and are disappointed when opportunities are few and far between.

So, one has to really turn the question around in order to possibly give a reason why and ask, why does it bother some so much?

Personally, I choose not to strut around naked in the gym locker room for the simple reason that there is no need to. I can count on one finger the number of times I used the gym to shower (when the water was off at home due to a hot water heater leak) and thus was completely nude. Even if I sweated enough (I hardly ever sweat) to feel the need to be clean right after a workout, I can wait till I get home as my house not only comes with sanitation facilities, but one where I am much less likely to catch athlete's foot or worse than the grungy ones in my gym. In fact, given the fact 99.99% of dwellings have indoor plumbing, I often wonder why so many guys even take showers at the gym, especially given the potential for bacterial, viral and fungal surprises.

As far as changing, I also rarely need to as the clothes I wear to the gym are the same I go home with and sometimes even wear the rest of the day (again, I am not an avid perspirer). The few exceptions have been when going to the gym after work or if I have to go somewhere else afterward that required a change of clothes. And even then, my exposure has been limited to a shirt and pants switch, there being no need to get completely naked.

Personally, I couldn't care less if other guys are naked in the locker room as long as it's consistent with the necessity of changing and they are not making it sexual or even prolonging it by strutting around like they are on the fashion runway in Paris. Though given I've very rarely witnessed it, most of them follow the same discretion I would if I had a legitimate reason to. To me, whether more or less men are nude in the locker room simply doesn't register on a conscience level.

So, it again begs the question of why it bothers so many others here that the majority of the men at gyms chose to be discrete? This is obviously an obsession for some given the number of threads on the topic and the almost emotional let-down some have, especially in pining for the "good old days" when same-sex group nudity was more common. Of course, given the demographics of the site, that answer is obvious and thus when the subject of why some straight men are not comfortable with group nudity comes up, the question kind of answers itself.

To expound on the "wet t-shirt" analogy someone used upthread, this lament by guys over not seeing enough other men nude would be kind of like if straight dudes, who after going to the beach, constantly complained that not enough women wore thongs or other minimalistic bathing attire and endlessly debated why that was so on a public forum. That would certainly not aspire more women to wear more revealing outfits, having definite proof men are just wanting to perv on them (not that most didn't likely figure it out already).

As a side note for anyone bothering to read this before they post: it should be noted that this thread is in "Ask a straight man", which means unless you identify as such, you should not be adding to it. I realize given this topic is popular with gay and bi men (again, given the number of threads on it) it has a tendency to drawl out those who might only pay attention to a thread title and not what section it is in. This is witnessed by the fact almost half the responses here has been from non-straight men or those suspected of being so, but who have no statistics listed.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
No Response
Technically speaking, you're right. It shouldn't bother us just as being naked shouldn't bother them. Plus, the guy might have a good reason (physical deformity, psychic locker room scarring from bullying, etc.) I think it just makes many of us sad and then impatient that a guy should be so apologetic. Plus, courage is a supposedly manly trait (share by women, obviously) so we don't like cowardice.
Speaking of technical, this doesn't "beg the question." It RAISES the question. To "beg the question" is a logical term that means to illegitimately use the conclusion of your argument as the basis of argument itself.

Beg The Question // Get it right.

Just so's ya know... and yeah, I know so many people use it to mean "raise a question" that its meaning has changed, but still... ; )

fusey_oct22

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual

I've just re-read the original question from JayPR and it doesn't come across as a complaint at all, just a curiosity to get a different perspective on it. It says more about you than anyone else that you seem to equate nudity and sex so readily, and assume anyone asking about behaviour they've witnessed is a pervert desperate to get off on seeing you naked.

fusey_oct22

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
It sometimes seems there is no shortage of threads within this forum when it comes to members both debating and lamenting why there is a shortage of men who feel secure enough to be more nude in gym locker rooms or showers. In fact, from observing the various repetition of topics over the years, this particular one almost seems neck and neck with ones where dudes are banking on sightings of ween at urinals and are disappointed when opportunities are few and far between.

So, one has to really turn the question around in order to possibly give a reason why and ask, why does it bother some so much?

I've not been on here long, but I did come here from Reddit because someone mentioned this topic was also being discussed here, and this is the second such thread I've seen in the few months since. So yes, it does seem to be raised a lot.

I'm not sure everyone who asks about it is particularly bothered by it, as just interested in why other people behave differently to themselves. Personally, it doesn't upset me so much as I just find it a bit weird, especially when a guy goes to the length of nearly falling over, because they're trying to put their boxers on while also holding on to their towel.

Personally, I choose not to strut around naked in the gym locker room for the simple reason that there is no need to. I can count on one finger the number of times I used the gym to shower (when the water was off at home due to a hot water heater leak) and thus was completely nude. Even if I sweated enough (I hardly ever sweat) to feel the need to be clean right after a workout, I can wait till I get home as my house not only comes with sanitation facilities, but one where I am much less likely to catch athlete's foot or worse than the grungy ones in my gym. In fact, given the fact 99.99% of dwellings have indoor plumbing, I often wonder why so many guys even take showers at the gym, especially given the potential for bacterial, viral and fungal surprises.

As far as changing, I also rarely need to as the clothes I wear to the gym are the same I go home with and sometimes even wear the rest of the day (again, I am not an avid perspirer). The few exceptions have been when going to the gym after work or if I have to go somewhere else afterward that required a change of clothes. And even then, my exposure has been limited to a shirt and pants switch, there being no need to get completely naked.

I've never seen anyone strutting around naked. There is a middle ground between being terrified of anyone seeing your penis and modelling your naked body.

I don't know about the state of the gym you go to, but the idea of throwing clothes back on without a shower after a gym session turns my stomach more. I just hope you travel there and back alone in your car, rather than someone having to whiff your body odour on public transport.

In my case, most of the people changing are coming from the pool, where they've been swimming in chlorine for the best part of an hour. So, yeah, my concern is less about wanting to see them naked and more about hygiene. I'd expect someone to shower before and after swimming, and certainly a full naked shower afterwards.

That's not just me. There are countries where you would be very much frowned up for not showering properly.

Personally, I couldn't care less if other guys are naked in the locker room as long as it's consistent with the necessity of changing and they are not making it sexual or even prolonging it by strutting around like they are on the fashion runway in Paris. Though given I've very rarely witnessed it, most of them follow the same discretion I would if I had a legitimate reason to. To me, whether more or less men are nude in the locker room simply doesn't register on a conscience level.

So, it again begs the question of why it bothers so many others here that the majority of the men at gyms chose to be discrete? This is obviously an obsession for some given the number of threads on the topic and the almost emotional let-down some have, especially in pining for the "good old days" when same-sex group nudity was more common. Of course, given the demographics of the site, that answer is obvious and thus when the subject of why some straight men are not comfortable with group nudity comes up, the question kind of answers itself.

To expound on the "wet t-shirt" analogy someone used upthread, this lament by guys over not seeing enough other men nude would be kind of like if straight dudes, who after going to the beach, constantly complained that not enough women wore thongs or other minimalistic bathing attire and endlessly debated why that was so on a public forum. That would certainly not aspire more women to wear more revealing outfits, having definite proof men are just wanting to perv on them (not that most didn't likely figure it out already).

I don't see a sexuality split on this, in all honesty. It tends to be more age-based, in my experience. The group I regularly see not being remotely bothered about nudity are the retired guys who are usually leaving as I come in of a morning. From their discussion of their wives, I'm pretty sure they're straight to some degree.

I have no idea of the sexuality of most others in there, but it's definitely the younger, the more likely to be nervous. That's not guaranteed though. There are plenty of times I've seen different behaviour within peer groups of about the same age. Some people are just more comfortable than others, I guess partly dependent on upbringing.

The lack of a simple answer is likely one reason it keeps coming up as a topic. Another is peer pressure; it's much easier to be relaxed about being naked in semi-public surroundings if it's the normal behaviour there. If you start to feel like everyone around you is covering up, then you start to feel that maybe you should be too, even though it goes against your own nature. I have no problem being naked in changing rooms - it's something I've been doing since long before I was even aware of my sexuality - but it still feels a bit awkward when you go into open showers where everyone else is covered up.

As a side note for anyone bothering to read this before they post: it should be noted that this thread is in "Ask a straight man", which means unless you identify as such, you should not be adding to it. I realize given this topic is popular with gay and bi men (again, given the number of threads on it) it has a tendency to drawl out those who might only pay attention to a thread title and not what section it is in. This is witnessed by the fact almost half the responses here has been from non-straight men or those suspected of being so, but who have no statistics listed.

I think that's maybe taking the category a little too literally. I'd agree if there were lots of guys identifying as gay trying to answer the question, but that's not what I see. The premise was fulfilled; a question was asked and a number of guys identifying as straight have attempted answers. It would be a very dull thread if there was then no follow-on dialogue debating the responses. Besides, if I'm going to be indirectly accused of being a dirty perv simply because I'm not ashamed of being naked, then I feel I have a right to reply on that.

Reactions: kev2001 and JayPR

Jon1971

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I miss the male bonding/comradery aspect of it. Just guys being guys. No flaunting, no gay play, just guys sharing a moment being guys.

I was uneasy at first when I started going to the gym years ago, but it was something I worked through so I could go in, change and shower just like everyone else.

Also, if you go to the gym with a friend, there's something about the shower... You'll most definitely come out of the shower being better friends.

While I never did the towel dance, I would open my locker door, and face the locker door to change at first. I find that not having to hide is far more comfortable and liberating than covering up, scared someone might see your dick or crack. I got some news. Everyone in that locker room intimately knows what a dick and a crack looks like.

The way I see it, if you can't be naked in front of members of the same sex, then you're not an adult.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's a shame that you got the wrong impression of my question. I didn't post this question to complain about the lack of nudity in the locker rooms. I am not judging others people's behaviors or beliefs. I am genuinely curious about the reasons most men in North America feel uncomfortable around other naked men in these spaces. I wanted to see their point of view and see what is in their mind when they feel uncomfortable in those spaces because I don't feel the same way, so I can have a better understanding.

I feel very comfortable with being naked, but that doesn't have anything to do with me being gay or an exhibitionist. Maybe has to do more with me growing up in a non-religious household and being in sports since I was young. BTW, I am not an exhibitionist.

When I go to a gym/pool locker room, I just go to change, take a shower, and dress again. That's all about it. Yes, I am gay and will be lying if I say that I don't check out someone who I find attractive there, just a quick look, but that is not my main motivation to go there. It's the same as straight nudist guys going to a nude beach and saying that they don't check out attractive naked women there. It's not their main reason to go there, but they are not blind either. And that's totally different from being a perv.
I get your point...but as someone who grew up in dance and gymnastics, I too grew up quite comfortable with scantily clad, leotarded, and basically naked girls on a non sexual basis....doesn't prevent me from understanding why girls and women not raised in that cloth don't share the same comfortability, and I think it would be totally justified if amongst groups of those women I was consistently bringing up the fact of how normal their nudity should be in front of me and other men, they decided to brand me a bit of a perv for consistently bringing it up.
Different folks different strokes, if it's not that big of a deal, it really shouldn't come up as often as it does.

dbd1830

Mythical Member
Media
I miss the male bonding/comradery aspect of it. Just guys being guys. No flaunting, no gay play, just guys sharing a moment being guys.

I was uneasy at first when I started going to the gym years ago, but it was something I worked through so I could go in, change and shower just like everyone else.

Also, if you go to the gym with a friend, there's something about the shower... You'll most definitely come out of the shower being better friends.

While I never did the towel dance, I would open my locker door, and face the locker door to change at first. I find that not having to hide is far more comfortable and liberating than covering up, scared someone might see your dick or crack. I got some news. Everyone in that locker room intimately knows what a dick and a crack looks like.

The way I see it, if you can't be naked in front of members of the same sex, then you're not an adult.
<<I miss the male bonding/comradery aspect of it. Just guys being guys. No flaunting, no gay play, just guys sharing a moment being guys.>>

Yes, thank you Jon1971!

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Also, if you notice "Ask a Straight Man" questions are almost entirely devoid of female queries; so forgive the straight men that answer for being a bit pessimistic as it seems every gay or bisexual man that poses a question does so from an intention of proving or reinforcing their opinion of straight men's homophobia, or latent homosexual desire.