Men's Cologne

AreaMan

Just Browsing
Media
I want people to say I smell good, not that they love <insert designer X's licensed fragrance here>. If I've smelled it on someone else I know, I'm disinclined to wear it.

For this very reason I wear Tommy Bahama for men. It's a little-known scent but people always ask about it - it's tobacco/spicy and good for work and special occasions. Not too expensive either.

B_willy5904

Sexy Member
Media
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Home in the States visiti
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I would suggest trying Halston Z1, I had great success with it. Use very little. I would put my index finger over the bottle opening and turn it over once, then take that small dot and rub it behind my ear lobe. Repeat for the other lobe.

The emphasis here is very little. The wearer is not suppose to be the one that needs to smell the fragrance. In fact as you use a fragrance you gradually lose your ability to smell it. Thats how we end up with men and women that wear so much cologne and perfume that if you encountered them in a small closed room you would be over come and pass out. Ok, slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

You want to wear very little fragrance so that the person you are talking with at the party can barely smell it. If it is a good fragrance, that is not worn by everyone, you will find that people will want to get closer and closer until they can get a good wiff of the cologne. When you have someone nuzzling your ear to smell your fragrance you are almost for sure going to get laid that evening.

When I was at University, a little Z14 got me laid nearly every time I wore it.

Artzyguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Anything by Hermes, Aqua Di Parma, Creed, Tiffany & Co. Sport, Bulgari or Chanel allure or Chanel sport. A lot of these are well over $100 per ounce, but it is well worth the money as they all reak of class.

D

deleted1447

This is an amazing fragrance and it is the only one I wear now.

Salvatore Ferragamo introduced Salvatore Ferragamo in 1998. It is the result of the following top fragrance Notes: mint, citrus and musk. The middle notes are: amber, moss and cedar and the base of the fragrance is: oakwood, sandalwood and oak. Salvatore Ferragamo is recommended for formal use

Do not confuse it with the 2002 product Salvatore Ferragamo Subtil

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Personally, I think most men's colognes smell like industrial-strength chemicals. Or they smell soapy. I also think that most men who wear cologne either use too much, or have picked a fragrance that doesn't work on them--both of which are worse than no cologne at all.

Nevertheless, every now and then I'll meet a guy who smells intoxicating. But I'm not the kind of guy who will ask a stranger what cologne he's wearing, and I figure it wouldn't work on me anyway.

Back in the early-mid 90s I went in search of a "signature scent" but didn't have much luck finding anything that worked with my body chemistry.

I also experimented with aromatherapy in the 90s. I wasn't very good at blending scents, so I don't attempt it very often, but I did find a couple of blends that work fairly well on me, and which seem to have the desired effect on people. Below are a few recipes (add to 1/8 cup of base oil). Anything marked as "optional" is my modification to the recipe I started with.

Aphrodite Oil
5 drops Cypress
2 drops Cinnamon
5 drops Orris root

Venus Oil
3 drops Ylang-Ylang
2 drops Geranium
1 drop Cardamon
1 drop Camomile
2 drops Lilac (optional)
4-5 drops Orris root (optional)
4 drops Ginger (optional)

Taurus Oil
4 drops Oakmoss (I increased this considerably, up to 24 drops.)
2 drops Cardamon
1 drop Ylang-Ylang (I increased this to 6-8 drops.)
2 drops Patchouli (optional)
3 drops Lilac (optional)

I also made a really nice "Lavender Spice" oil, but I neglected to write down the recipe. I believe I used some combination of lavender, cinnamon, clove, and possibly black pepper and/or ginger.

I apply the oils to my wrists, inner elbow, the notch below the Adam's apple, the nape of the neck, and the notch below the sternum. In general, cologne's are best applied to the pulse points and anywhere along the midline.

http://www.projectfreedom.us/PulsePoints/PulsePointMale.jpg

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I must have an odd body chemistry because things that will smell wonderful on some people, like my bf, will smell like rancid limes on me. I wear Vetiver by Guerlain in the summer which apparently works because people compliment me on it a lot. During the winter months I wear something a little heavier like Abercrombie's Woods.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Bleh, no colognes. I'm very sensitive to smell and most colognes give me horrible headaches.

Ladies get so turn on when I wear CURVE green bottle, brown writing know now the scent name. Whenever I stand beside them or walk by they get so turn on I was tempting to asking, Are you WET? But Its my co-worker so I can't because of sexual harassment policy. Also I wear a nice bulge for their looking pleasure.

sena

Experimental Member
Media
For the summer I think that the best one for smaller build guys could be "Lacoste". It's a very light scent that reminds me of being outside. Kind of gives a tennis/soccer vibe to it. If you are a bigger/pudgier person. Lose ten pounds immediately :) Or simply try Dolce & Gabanna's "the one" or "Light Blue"....Preferrably light blue.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I have a HUGE collection of colognes...best place to smell what you like is Nordstrom..they have coffee beans to sniff in between fragrances so you aren't overwhelmed...when you find something you like spray it on your wrist and try another scent on the other wrist and walk around for an hour-- something that smells good at first might become cloying or disappear with your body chemistry....when you find a scent you like buy it from beautyencounters.com or fragrancex.com (both offer highly discounted prices and not fake stuff)

Classy scents:
BVLGARI line
Givenchy line
Armani line
Dolce&Gabbana line
Issey Miyake line

one of the websites I gave you actually breaks down the tones of the cologne and gives the "notes"...it'll also tell you woodsy or musky or sporty or clean or floral or night or day or winter or summer

When you chose a cologne remember-- it'll smell different on you than on the paper you spray it on to smell it...someting that you loved at first might make you nauseous after a while and something you weren't to crazy about might make you want to spray it on your pillow to smell all night

Good luck
and sorry if I rambled on-- cologne is kind of a fetish for me

Great post Pye!
I also collect perfumes as well as jewelry!
I also like the L'eau de Issey Miyake for men or women.
Acqua di Gio by Armani,Fahrenheit by Dio,Eternity by Calvin Klein
and Z-14 by Halston are some of my favorites.
Basenotes - independent online guide to 13240 fragrances, with articles, fragrance news, 52320 fragrance reviews and more... is another great site for learning more about any perfume or cologne you like. They can give you specific information on what
the main characteristics of any scent may be and the best time to wear them and all the info you've ever wanted to know about scents.
They also have many members who sell high end scents at wholesale prices.
I buy most of my perfumes on ebay now because that is where many of basenotes members do business.
Oh the deals I have gotten!

Oh! I like cologne sprayed on or near a mans chest,neck and genitals!
C.B.:saevil:

Last edited: