Mental Health

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Hmmm... possibly... speaking as one who has worked with people with severe and enduring mental health problems there's a couple of things going on here.

1/ that yes, as you say, some people do conflate a general disappointment that their life has not turned out as they wish with mental health problems, particularly depression. I have seen that.

2/ there's also quite a lot of really rather fucked up people around. The group above pale into insignificance when compared to the disturbed, lonely and forgotten MH sufferers who struggle to access basic services and a level of respect from fellow human beings. And that's not just people with formal MH diagnoses, I have seen it ever more prominently since I entered my 5th decade that people who were a bit odd or maladaptive in their youth fully bloom into properly fucked up people in their 40s with depression, anxiety disorders, OCD and the like. It is real. It's just the previously these issues or personal peculiarities were swept under the carpet.

3/ there has also been a major change in the way in which society views mental health problems. Time was that MH suffers were shunned, made fun of and left to rot. I for one think it is important and good to have discussions about mental health - it's not something to be ashamed of, or to repress and hide in a mental cupboard. Mental health is better discussed, confronted.

I am a firm believer that the majority of mental health problems do stem from trauma and people attempt to cope with it. I also think that how society - friends, family, wider community - treats the individual has a large impact on the progression of that person's mental health. If you are treated with love, tolerance and respect, you will respond in a positive fashion. If you are ridiculed, marginalised and told you are a freak, you will slip beyond "normal society".

We are used to discussing good physical health - the need to exercise, eat well and so-on - but we rarely talk about ways of achieving and maintaining good mental health.

As I woman I used to know once said, "We all have a touch of mental health - just depends on how in touch your are with it."

There for the grace of god go I.

I agree with all your points. Though I do believe talking about mental illness is much more wide spread than at any other point in time. It only takes a scan of twitter to see that. We need a balance between talking about mental HEALTH (good mental wellbeing) and mental ILLNESS. Especially as it can turn people into emotional haemophiliacs if not done w nuance..

creek47

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This is so complex because mental health is important however I also believe that we have a belief especially in western society that you always have to be happy. No, happiness takes moments of sadness. Can’t have a peak without a valley.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
it is/can be a happenstance of human health,that no amount of thought./opinions on what 'should happen' means a damn thing

its one of those human illness that remain beyond humankind understanding
unfortunately,those with genuine afflictions,often appear to have minimal chance of working thru it

total support,with hopefully appropriate medication,could be of assistance

not gon lie this pandemic got me thinking thoughts that aint healthy.
Well that and on top of I had a certain kind of stressin' before the pandemic and then on top pf that an add'l serving of a different kind of stressalator happened during the pandemic.
Thats a trio of stress.
A fn 3 layer trifle of stress.

It aint healthy and this fn pandemic is making it 100x worse.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
not gon lie this pandemic got me thinking thoughts that aint healthy.
Well that and on top of I had a certain kind of stressin' before the pandemic and then on top pf that an add'l serving of a different kind of stressalator happened during the pandemic.
Thats a trio of stress.
A fn 3 layer trifle of stress.

It aint healthy and this fn pandemic is making it 100x worse.

Stresscalator. That's perfect.

Sums the year up thoroughly.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
farmers,since time memorial
returned veterans
CV affected/or otherwise,currently
many many others,reasons,never really pursued by govts/authorities that cry 'concerned'
another of humanities major failings
whats important huh
DISGUSTING

as mentioned earlier QM
feel for you
theres a lot more to MH,than the odd few who intimate
'this/that should happen'

its much deeper than that

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Today I took a sick day and stayed home from work. I'm not ill with anything communicable... But I had a significant set-back last night. There was just no way I could go to work and deal with people and not break down. So I took the day to be with myself, meditate, center my thoughts and emotions. I cried.

I'm lucky enough to be able to do that. Just making a note of it. If you need to take care of you sometimes, make sure you do it.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Today I took a sick day and stayed home from work. I'm not ill with anything communicable... But I had a significant set-back last night. There was just no way I could go to work and deal with people and not break down. So I took the day to be with myself, meditate, center my thoughts and emotions. I cried.

I'm lucky enough to be able to do that. Just making a note of it. If you need to take care of you sometimes, make sure you do it.

all the best,keep well everyone'
have an especially soft spot for our Military Veterans WW,as well
cant say enough/offer enough well wishes,for all concerned

superglad my brother has dedicated his remaining working life to offer as much as he can within the MH sufferers all the expertise he can offer/help with

very wise/sensible move tnj
i hope others in that situation do so as well
dont be ashamed or think,'you will/may cope'
i am sure there are things that can unknowingly even, 'creep up on some'

interestingly
i once worked in a sheltered workshop,it was called,,for a total of 5 years
It was for the teaching work skills/but as much as offering an environment to keep varying degrees of intellectual disability persons occupied

the 2nd in command so to speak was a young dedicated physiologist
who traveled to the USA for the latest of anything in that field

he immediately saw the need for his staff,us workers,30 strong,to have x3 paid mental health days,per year,on top of ordinary sick days
being M/M of 4,we helped push it thru with him

can you believe that was 35 plus years ago,without a word of a lie

i bet many dont offer that,even now
i believe some dont offer sick days

Reactions: T_Lurch

ewartlace

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I think mental health is one of the most important subjects people need to be aware of. At the end of the day, if you are not feeling happy with your own self, if you are depressed and if you don’t have this desire to live life at its fullest potential, then you need to find help for improving your mental health. I am truly saddened by the society we live in. People can be so cruel without even realising it. Some years ago, I was feeling so bad due to some unfortune events in my life. My mental health was at risk. After some time. I was getting better mainly because of this platform https://lifestance.com/services/cognitive-behavioral-therapy/, that completely changed my way of thinking.

T

T_Lurch

Raise your hand if you have ever or currently are seeking counseling/therapy for a mental health issue.

*Raises hand high as fuck*
Tried counselors in the past. I'm not much of a believer in them personally; how can you pay someone to care and have it be sincere? However, if someone needs to simply have someone listen and get things off their chest in a catharsis, then I think they have some value. I definitely don't want to piss all over anyone who might have counseling as their only solace, and there's no shame in it.

Living in a world that is essentially like climbing a mountain made of knives, the chances of someone not needing mental help at some point in life is pretty much nil.

Last edited by a moderator:

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
What I have noticed in recent years is the amount of advertising in regard to counselling, psychological health, yet, an advertisement before or after said advertisement, another appears promoting gambling. Which is a main cause of family and social problems. Especially with the ease one is able to gamble online, or by mobile device.

In Australia we have had recent ads by Shaquille O'Neal, a hero to many young teenagers, a hero here of basketball as well as in the US.....promoting, advertising gambling as a good thing.

The same with Mark Wahlberg. An online and movie hero to many.

I am good friends with a well know Doctor and leader of medical practice in Australia. They have expressed to me they are seeing increasing numbers of young seeking help for depression for these reasons. Following their popular hero. The ability of our young to overcome the exposure of advertising and negativity through social media and advertising is contributing greatly to depression in OUR society. I notice all too much when working at many clients homes the "no care" attitude of teenagers. It seems to be, to them, all too much to cope with, they retreat in to their little safe zones....then it becomes all too hard to get them out when their "safe" zones of internet, games or phone is lost or threatened.

Now, once upon a time, being invaded by real life Nazis, dropping bombs an homes, self guided V2 rockets, millions burned in ovens, killed because of hate and prejudice.... is being replaced by hysteria of being cut off from the internet and losing a mobile phone and immediate connection with friends and the world.... as a major breaking point in human psychology.

How do we fix this? More importantly, how do we counteract a force which is so powerful it becomes a law unto it's own?

Last edited:

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Our young have become dependent on such a fragile foundation, and many of us (not me) are enabling them too. Information at their fingertips, satellite navigation, internet and connection 24/7.........If it were...and at anytime could, disappear tomorrow, it would wreak havoc in society.

How would many of you feel if you lost contact with LPSG? ....I know Mr. LPSG would probably go into meltdown...Love ya Shapster....but every electrical, digital device relies on power for connection.

Yep...and in Earths history....and the Universe, humankind, it deals out the Joker.

Why do you think they included the Joker in a deck of cards? Yeah, humans have a habit of dealing with the traumatic with humour...................there is the dark humour though...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: rbkwp and T_Lurch
T

T_Lurch

Why do you think they included the Joker in a deck of cards? Yeah, humans have a habit of dealing with the traumatic with humour...................there is the dark humour though...:)

And the universe always gets the last laugh in the end. Sometimes, bitter, sardonic humor is all that's left when you think about it.

Things like LPSG, when all is said and done are a luxury, and some of us do realize it. Most do not however. I think this is because most young people don't realize how tenuous a hold humanity has on things and they fail to realize the impermanence of it all. They think computers and technology will be around for eternity and we are on a meteoric rise upwards. But when all the rare earth minerals and petrol are used up, that's the end of technology. No more internet, no more computers, no more cars or electronics. No more space travel. The Malthusian tipping point is reached. We are on a precipice and any day now we will tip off into the abyss. Some, like myself, have completely given up and simply are enjoying what we have until the timer runs out.

I can only say I'm grateful I didn't have children because I'd never bring a kid into this meat grinder of a world, especially knowing what's in store in the next twenty or thirty years and beyond.

Reactions: rbkwp

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
And the universe always gets the last laugh in the end. Sometimes, bitter, sardonic humor is all that's left when you think about it.

Things like LPSG, when all is said and done are a luxury, and some of us do realize it. Most do not however. I think this is because most young people don't realize how tenuous a hold humanity has on things and they fail to realize the impermanence of it all. They think computers and technology will be around for eternity and we are on a meteoric rise upwards. But when all the rare earth minerals and petrol are used up, that's the end of technology. No more internet, no more computers, no more cars or electronics. No more space travel. The Malthusian tipping point is reached. We are on a precipice and any day now we will tip off into the abyss. Some, like myself, have completely given up and simply are enjoying what we have until the timer runs out.

I can only say I'm grateful I didn't have children because I'd never bring a kid into this meat grinder of a world, especially knowing what's in store in the next twenty or thirty years and beyond.

on that
gay,but helped my gay/bi lover of 8 years,bring up hhis sisters son ..she the type with 4 kids,4 different fathers
we were relative pioneers at the time,mid 80s,no males brought up esp a boy,so the arseholes/ass USA
anyway,very successful,he married wth a child etc
unfortunately the big nasty S at age 30 plus

no one knows why,like most everytime/thing

ps
feel,for any military veterans MH/S etc
we,humankind,have a hell of a lot to answer to
life huh

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Mental Health and the Modern Fisherman

With support from their advocates, fishermen are starting to confront the toll that dangerous working conditions, economic and environmental uncertainty, and ever-changing regulations take on their minds and bodies.

by Christina Couch • 4,000 words / 20 mins

affects us all,no doubt
wonder,if its always been there,but more prevalent now,because ...

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
phscological coping

was just thinking,of the millions affected ww
even before this dastarrrdly v

still,personally annoyed
that many of those,inheriting theposition of power/authority over others
and because they happpppppppppen to be in charge at this time
none of them seem to have been prepared to share that role
i am sure theres much ore learned people,than some of them

still not working at it globally,the selfish/ignorant persons,seeking self glory,likelt at humanities exspence
and,theyre responsible for millions more,with nhh problems
i feel