Mental Illness on LPSG

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by naughty, Jul 16, 2004.

1. naughty

Gold Member

Hi,

Don't get me wrong. I really like LPSG for so many reasons. One of which is the diversity of experiences and opinions expressed here. I usually do not get into the fray of flame wars, identity theft, stalking, etc, here on LPSG, but frankly it is really getting tired .If I am tired, I can not even imagine what it feels like for Mark, Dee and Mindseye who constantly have to be on patrol for divisive "off the hook behavior ". Unfortunately, those who are most often guilty of this type of behavior have the opinion that it is not them but everyone else who is wrong. Please people, can we all think before we type. Because you know it is said those most in need of therapy are the ones that think they dont need it. Something to think about.

Naughty

2. B_Carolina

B_Carolina New Member

Who exactly are you referencing? It isn't juicy til we have names.

3. naughty

Gold Member

OK Carolina,

I am not mentioning names to protect the not so innocent ( I think that applies to everyone on this board! LOL! ) But also because that would just start another episode of uncouth behavior. Why fan the flames or get myself flamed in the process.Those who are guilty know who they are. You are a naughty one, Mr. Carolina! Maybe I will tell you in our Carolina chat if you get it up and going! ;)

Naughty

4. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Thanks for your concern, Naughty. Quite honestly, when people start flaming each other and getting out of control, I just turn a blind eye to it. It's almost a reflex. When a thread starts degenerating, I let people exhaust themselves. At one point, I used to be the guy who'd say, "Hey, c'mon now. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it all." Evidently, that kernel of wisdom from kindergarten doesn't matter much here...

In any case, when all that bullshit goes on, it gets easier and easier to avoid this place. LPSG is still one of my most frequently visited sites; however, I end up spending less time per visit, glossing over the new posts but not participating in anything. Perhaps that's why people lurk around here. Either it's really intimidating to post for the first time, or maybe it's because there's nothing other than BS to talk about.

5. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: The whole nature of mental illness is that you don't know your ill, so intsead of finding fault in yourself you blame others :wacko:

6. naughty

Gold Member

Dee,

That is unfortunate because it seems to be a trend that is developing .Some of the most erudite and interesting posters have either declined in their posting or have gone elsewhere altogether. It is unfortunate because They were a main reason I came to enjoy the group.

Naughty

7. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I know what Naughty means. I'm a Mod on a couple of sites that belong to a friend of mine. One is particular is very hoppin and we've recently had a "troll" come in a push a lot of our good members away b/c he felt the need to do some serious flaming on one of our other members. We have since banned the guy, but it took us a while to get all of his IP addresses in order to do so. That was a few weeks ago, but the damage is still taking place.

8. mindseye

Gold Member

There's an excellent (if somewhat heady) web page on the psychological factors behind flame wars and internet bickering at http://webpages.charter.net/stormking/mood.html (mirror).

In the article, Dr. King first explains that flame wars don't often erupt in public, because we have adequate social pressure not to 'cause a scene'. Online social norms, however, aren't well-enough ingrained that "newbies" pick up quickly on them:

Complicating the problem is that the non-verbal clues we have in social interaction -- tone of voice, posture, facial expressions, body language, eye contact, etc. -- are lacking online. Then furthermore, because posting volume increases rapidly during a flame war, with parties shooting off responses just minutes apart, it becomes harder and harder to focus on, read, and thoughtfully absorb what is being said. Once the posting volume increases past your ability to absorb it all -- well, if you're already in a bad mood, you'll probably just pick up the negative stuff in the message:

My take on the matter (and, boy do I have a hard time following my own advice!) -- is when you sense a flame war coming on, just wait a while before posting the next message. That gives the other participant(s) more time to absorb what's been said up to that point.

Dr. King is a clinical researcher at PGSP.

9. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, I know I'm responsible in part for some of this stuff, I did let my anger get the best of me. What no one on here saw was the volume and nature of the emails I have been receiving in my personal email boxes. I tried to ignore it hoping "he" would just go away, but they letters got more and more intense. I felt it necessary to post publicly what was going on, it was actually a cry for help, so help! I am actually afraid of this individual and I wanted people to know what was going on in case anything happened to me. After asking both publicly and privately for this person to sever contact, it still has not happened, I don't know what else to do. I love this site and do not wish to become a burden here, I will probably just take a respite and hope things die down. Jana

10. jdoe86

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have noticed that threads do go off on tangents a lot. I think that it is up to the poster to try to contain themselves and stay within the thread's subject.

11. txquis

Gold Member

Correct.
    People feel very powerful in an anonymous
    setting like a message board.
    They seem to take out all the frustrations
    of their daily lives there,
    in a way they would not face to face.

I have stayed out of the wars...
    but sometimes it is hard not to comment
    about constant flaming...

It finally wears even the nice sweet people out

I've learned it always blows over,
    and I take cover until it does.

12. naughty

Gold Member

Mme.Zora,

I think many of us have been in your position where we have been taken to the ultimate and have had to respond in a public fashion. There is no difference between being physically under attack in a secluded area ( your personal emails) and having to run into the public (open forum) for help and protection. IT has happened to most male and female here. I believe we are preaching more to the perpertrators than to the victims.

Naughty

13. madame_zora

Gold Member

Naughty, I just didn't want you to think I was unaware of the poor decorum of my last post to "whoever", I just felt it was a necessary step, but now it's done. I won't respond to any other posts unless I have something of value to add.

14. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I think it's time that we ask Mark if he's heard anything more about the Ignore option that he said should become available on Invision boards. That would save you from IMs and from seeing comments posted by that individual (okay, we all know who you're talking about, we might as well say maverackstud's name) in public space here. Mav has your personal e-mail address, but most e-mail services have a block option that will refuse e-mails from certain addresses. Jana, this is your home as much as anyone else's; I don't want to see you chased away ... particularly by someone that many of us find so irritating.

For what it's worth, I'm not going anywhere any time soon. I'm settled in here at LPSG.

15. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

What Jana is going through is scary. I already (in the less the than 24 hrs that I have been a member) received an email from someone. I'm normally a very friendly person, but didn't like the fact that this person was a "lurker/non-poster" so I opted to make my email address private so that I wouldn't receive any more. Now I see that it may be a good idea. (For those of you who may not know that this option is available on the board) I have no problems with anyone sending me a PM though and I'll feel free to communicate that way.

16. mindseye

Gold Member

Thanks for bringing that up, TexAssGirl:

The default option on this board is that people may e-mail you, but not view your e-mail address.

When you click on someone's profile, there's a link that allows you to e-mail that person. That link takes you to a form where you enter the message you want to send, and then the program sends the message on your behalf without ever telling you that person's e-mail address.

*But* if you reply to the e-mail you receive, then your mail program will (probably) disclose your e-mail address back to the original sender.

17. B_Carolina

B_Carolina New Member

Tex and Zora, what's "e"-mail....hehe, just kidding.

No, but really, is it somehow different from "d"-mail?

18. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

I think it's time that we ask Mark if he's heard anything more about the Ignore option that he said should become available on Invision boards. That would save you from IMs and from seeing comments posted by that individual (okay, we all know who you're talking about, we might as well say maverackstud's name) in public space here. Mav has your personal e-mail address, but most e-mail services have a block option that will refuse e-mails from certain addresses. Jana, this is your home as much as anyone else's; I don't want to see you chased away ... particularly by someone that many of us find so irritating.

For what it's worth, I'm not going anywhere any time soon. I'm settled in here at LPSG. [/b][/quote]
    I agree with you on that there, DMW. I don't want to see you scared off either, there, Jana. You deserve to be here just as much as the next person. And I think the ignore button is a good idea.

19. jonb

Gold Member

Some basic rules:
    • Use as little bandwidth as possible. Strangely most bandwidth is used by those telling others that they're wasting bandwidth.
    • Speling and grammer count, especially when the spelling's so bad you can't understand it.
    • DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS!
    • by contrast, don't use all lower-case letters either.
    • ONE PUNCTUATION MARK IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!11
    • Don't post ads. Sorry, but your scams can go to the bit bucket.
    • There are TDM TLAs.
    • Use only as many smilies as necessary. ;) :) :p ^_^
    • Double-posting is annoying, but triple-posting is insane.
    • Excessive multi-posting is spam. Excessive multi-posting is spam. Wow, deja vu.

20. Imported

Gold Member

Hapi Papi: Shhhhh naughty... you promised not to tell!

Draft saved Draft deleted