Mental Illness?

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is not something that I have suffered from nor has anyone close to me - to my knowledge. I appreciate the thread as reading it has given me a much greater understanding of mental illness. To me knowledge about a topic equals greater tolerance. Not that I am saying I was intolerant before - just ignorant of the subject.

Thanks to all you guys for educating me a little.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
alex8 said:
I hope you will forgive me, JBT, for a somewhat tangential and rambling post, but this thread is the closest one, thematically, to the subject I feel like posting about today; namely, phobias. There is common currency here insofar as, being outwardly invisible to others, they tend to be met with a look of blank-faced incomprehension, or else 'laughed off' as some kind of quirky thing that has no impact on one's life. Furthermore, in my experience, the feeling of having 'good days' and 'bad days' is very real.

Sorry i chopped off most of your post Alex. I did want to post a reply, but didn't want to have people reading through your whole post again. Phobias are a very real form of MI. I happen to be arachnophobic (severely [how cliche]), and on some days agoraphobic. Telephone phobia is no more silly than either of those. It is a phobia, an irrational fear. And, if it helps you feel any better, many phobias do start out as a rational fear. I hope you many more "good days" and also hope people get a fucking clue when you don't answer the phone! (GARGH, one of my pet peves...)

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
joyboytoy79 said:
Sorry i chopped off most of your post Alex. I did want to post a reply, but didn't want to have people reading through your whole post again. Phobias are a very real form of MI. I happen to be arachnophobic (severely [how cliche]), and on some days agoraphobic. Telephone phobia is no more silly than either of those. It is a phobia, an irrational fear. And, if it helps you feel any better, many phobias do start out as a rational fear. I hope you many more "good days" and also hope people get a fucking clue when you don't answer the phone! (GARGH, one of my pet peves...)

You know, one shouldn't be TOO hard on the people making those comments. Not everyone has had experience with that particular phobia. It takes patience and understanding to be ok with something.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
jeff black said:
You know, one shouldn't be TOO hard on the people making those comments. Not everyone has had experience with that particular phobia. It takes patience and understanding to be ok with something.
I don't think JTB was being hard on them, per se, just giving voice to the very real sense of absolute frustration and annoyance that overwhelms one as an immediate response to their comments/actions, no matter how aware one is that they don't mean anything bad by them intentionally. I don't hate people who phone me incessantly, but I do launch into a string of expletives in the direction of the phone when they keep ringing... that's no reflection on the caller whatsoever, just a 'gut reaction' to the situation at that precise moment.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
alex8 said:
I don't think JTB was being hard on them, per se, just giving voice to the very real sense of absolute frustration and annoyance that overwhelms one as an immediate response to their comments/actions, no matter how aware one is that they don't mean anything bad by them intentionally. I don't hate people who phone me incessantly, but I do launch into a string of expletives in the direction of the phone when they keep ringing... that's no reflection on the caller whatsoever, just a 'gut reaction' to the situation at that precise moment.

And that makes sense.

AS a person who understands what you are going through (as he has his own deep dark phobia) I can assure you, I would NEVER call and let teh phone ring and ring, or try to FORCE you to talk on a bad day. Especially now that I know you have an issue with phones...

Of course, First, I would need to get to know you better, and get your phone number.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
jeff black said:
I didn't mean he should be hard on anyone. Not at all. It's just annoying, i think for anyone, much moreso for him, when one doesn't answer his/her phone only for the caller to call again, and again, and again. I think it's generally common that if someone doesn't answer his/her phone it's because he/she is either unable to, or doesn't want to talk with whomever is calling. Why then, be rude and keep calling?

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
joyboytoy79 said:
I didn't mean he should be hard on anyone. Not at all. It's just annoying, i think for anyone, much moreso for him, when one doesn't answer his/her phone only for the caller to call again, and again, and again. I think it's generally common that if someone doesn't answer his/her phone it's be cause he/she is either unable to, or doesn't want to talk with whomever is calling. Why then, be rude and keep calling?

You are also correct, to keep calling when you know the person is VERY hesitant of a phone.. is rude.

I was just thinking of all the people who knew, but didn't realize the extent..

BTW, ALEX, I am embarassed for you.. You are usually so good at this..

http://www.lpsg.org/et-cetera-et-cetera/29545-what-is-your-greatest-fear.html

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
you and tallpnsguy are to be commended for raising this issue. i think it's healthy for it to be talked about.

i have not read through all the posts in this thread, so hope this is not a repeat.

mental illness is an *illness*. it's not a matter of "oh, he/she is just fucked up."

during alcohol treatment, i remember a counselor asking me if i thought i was responsible for my condition. response - "absolutely". she then asked if i thought someone with leukemia was responsible for their condition. response - "of course not". over time, evidence was presented that things in the brain are happening that are different versus someone who is not an alcoholic. i think the same is true with mental illness sufferers. am not a professional, so someone else with more knowledge will have to confirm or refute that.

it's treatable, though it's harder than popping aspirin to get rid of a headache. you have to be persistent.

my oldest sister is somewhat messed up. her doctors, for years, basically gave her pills and sent her on her way. it can't be solved like that in severe cases.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
alex8 said:

While certainly not prompted by the same experience, I hold little love for the phone myself. One thing I remember, that may or may not be useful for you to remember, is that I pay for the phone, therefore, it exists for MY benefit--nobody else's. I long ago got over the programmed Pavlovian response of HAVING to answer the phone no matter what. I'm in control of it, and it does NOT rule me. I also have had many people tell me I never answer the phone. Well, I have voicemail, which I may even check once in awhile...:rolleyes:. If it is THAT important, then they will call back. It's a tool---like those who are a slave to it.:biggrin1: