Met on the Internet

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by txquis, Jul 22, 2004.

1. txquis

Gold Member

I am in my midthirties.
    By now, I have had
    my share of long term and short term
    "relationships".

A few of these I have met online.

While i have never met a longterm person
    this way, some of my pals have.
    What i have done is met a few weirdos,
    a few hotties who had really downplayed themselves...
    and a couple of really good friends.

I have never had anyone meet me and
    think i didnt look like my pic,
    or that i had lied about my age, or weight....
    But,
    i understand that this is a problem
    Many people will meet the person for coffee
    and cant find that person...
    they find someone much older,
    or a different size or shape altogether.

that only happened to me once.
    A guy said he was 36, and he was 52
    i asked him why in the world he would
    try to pass himself off as 16 years younger, knowing
    that he was going to have to face that person.
    I explained that although i am nice,
    some people might be quite angry.

Judging from my friends tales,
    these situations are not that rare...
    What is your experience
    with meeting people in person that you met online?

2. Imported

Gold Member

bih20: I use to think it was strange and just not cool, but you know what? online dating is the thing of today. Pretty much everyone is now using online dating.

Its hard to meet people these days, we are all so busy, there is so much going on, and so on. And then of course there is just the comfort level, where you are able to slowly get to know the person and not feel nervous about it and so on.

3. KinkGuy

Gold Member

I met my S.O., B.F., Lover, Other Half....in a chat room. Seven and a half years ago. AOL proved to be good for something! It used to embarrass us when people asked "how did you two meet"....now it just seems kinda' average. B)

4. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I've had mixed results. Every guy I've met through LPSG was just how he said he was. I think that speaks volumes for the question of the honesty of the posters here. If anything, they downplayed themselves online. Some of them were hotter than hell in real life. (Note: I've only had sex with two of the LPSG members that I've met IRL. The others have turned out as good friends.) Others IRL meetings with people I originally encountered online have varied. Some have obviously lied about their ages, height, etc., and some obviously didn't match the pictures they sent. I figure that if they can't be trusted to tell the truth about such basic stuff, how much can I trust them with things that matter? To the curb.

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

My 24-year-old daughter scared the life out of me when she called to say she was going to North Carolina to meet a Marine she'd been chatting with online. I was sure I'd never see her again.

She came back the next week engaged to be married. :eek:

Three years later they have a two-year-old son, a happy marriage and a bright future.

Who would a thunk it?

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

Aww, that's sweet, Pecker.

I've had mixed results with it, but I've learned to meet for coffee in a well lit place. When the person who shows up doesn't match the pic or general info is wrong, I get out fast! I have met some who have downplayed themselves, which is always a treat, underpromise and overdeliver. I've also made some decent friends, so overall it's been a positive experience.

Never met any lpsgers yet irl, but already have some great friends I wouldn't know what to do without.

7. naughty

Gold Member

Jana,

Girl, you are getting better looking and younger in each picture! I do not know what we are going to do with you! Love you, I guess! LOL!

Naughty

8. madame_zora

Gold Member

Younger looking? I took that this afternoon, I LOVE you, Naughty! (blows big fat kisses to the Naughty one). Can I buy you something expensive?

9. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

*Ahem*
    (Before naughty thoughts about Naughty and Jana crosses his mind)...

Well I have met several people online, mainly as part of discussion groups. I'd never go for online relationships though, been there, done that...it's awkward.

10. naughty

Gold Member

Orca,

I am surprised at you! I think you would find it refreshing that two fully evolved and secure hetero females can not only speak civily to one another, but can express admiration without anything else going on. Honey, my inclinations are strictly Dickly! LOL! But Ms.Zora still looks good.

As for meeting on the internet, well I was signed up for an online service, but I started freaking out every time I saw new matches in my box.I am ashamed to say that I did not answer any of them just for the very reason most folks have listed. I was sure there would not be truth in advertising. I have however enjoyed making a number of platonic friendshiips in my online groups. ( this one included)..

I have had two strange experiences. One behaved much like ( TW, H, MS,etc) so I could share Jana's pain. The other... well from the beginning though I enjoyed that banter eventually found that the game playing involved in dealing with the individual became increasingly more exhausting. Too little important info devulged and perhaps that was a good thing.

Naughty

11. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

My experience in meeting people online has been mixed. On the one hand, it's good that you can get to know people from outside your immediate area and who might not be the physical "type" that you would normally go for. This removes some of the shallow biases that might cause you to ignore an otherwise worthy friend/lover. On the other hand, cyberspace doesn't really let you test that personal chemistry that you really want to have with someone. You can't measure that until you seem him/her face-to-face, at which point you might discover that all the work that went into getting to them and building a rapport was all for naught. Meeting someone initially in person is always preferable in that way.

12. Duo187

Duo187 New Member

Albums:
    18/f/where ever
    36F-28-38
    Blonde
    Bi

=

72/tranny/outside your window
    depends on which sex they are that day
    bald
    wanting you in the woods...

Least thats how I was taught.

13. feared

feared New Member

i've had a few online relationships, and while i've never had someone mislead me with a picture (never met any transexuals or old men, thank christ), i've still had my share of hurt from it.

currently i've been talking to a girl from canada, and she's just amazing. smart, funny, beautiful, never ceases to make me laugh, you know that sort of thing. might even be forced to uproot myself from my current lodgings in order to find happiness. never know, really.

14. Imported

Gold Member

joe22xxx: I met one woman online & she really was sweet & open-minded,so we thought we'd meet in person since we both lived in NYC. She was actually a really unhappy mother of two living with a husband on Long Island. We had a lot in common, but the age difference was really hard for me. I didn't understand all her problems. I just kept on telling her to get out of that relationship,but she wasn't able to. I wasn't disappointed meeting her, just sad that she had so much negative stuff to deal with.

15. B_Carolina

B_Carolina New Member

I've never met someone from the Internet - not even if our chat began as entirely non-sexual. I'm not sure what that says about me. All I know is that in real life, I'm insanely introverted.

I think what I love about lpsg is that I can live utterly free of constraints...something about that eye to eye chat about the stuff we chat about on here makes me slightly nervous. I grew up in a military-supported family that, while not conservative persay, was definitely hush hush on certain topics.

So chatting online or phone is something I don't fumble with...whereas actually meeting might be.

16. philberttrw

philberttrw New Member

Albums:
    Just so you know, I'd be perfectly willing to meet up with you in Roanoke or something, I am in Charlottesville, VA.

You'd BETTER get online again, lol.

17. jonb

Gold Member

I didn't know you were on AOL's dating service.

18. madame_zora

Gold Member

Duo is a non-stop riot! Shame on you getting all those old farts horny over you! If only they knew....

Carolina, I promise to be gentle, lol.

19. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Naughty, I know, I know...doesn't stop me trying though. :p

I just feel that online relationships are "gold from dirt" sort of things, the whole anonyminity of the net means it's easy to fool with people, discussion boards are a tad harder because EVERYTHING you say can be referred back to you.

20. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

I have never met anyone from the net, but was close - really close. The guy is a member of this site. I was traveling overseas and we discussed arranging to meet there.

Of course, I think we both were frightened, but I think we over thought the idea to much. I would have really loved to have met him - who knows what could have ended up. We still chat and remain friends - I do love him dearly and he knows way to much about me. HINT HINT HINT

There are a couple of people I would like to meet still, including the person whom I send messages to daily. Oh well... time has a way of making or breaking situations...

Draft saved Draft deleted