Metal Heads unite

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
Atreyu used to be MUCH heavier. I used to love this band, they were really good.

This is some of their old stuff, it's awesome...

YouTube - Atreyu - Ain't Love Grand
YouTube - Atreyu - Right Side Of The Bed
YouTube - Atreyu - Lipgloss And Black
YouTube - Atreyu - The Crimson

As far as drummers singing, check out UnderOath. They're putting out a new CD in September and have already said it's going to be the heaviest they've ever done.

Here's a sample of what they've got...
YouTube - "When The Sun Sleeps"

Sweet, thanks!

Broken5150

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
:wave2: Love metal (all but King Diamond and Slayer - I need funk, dammit) and hard rock... even power ballads *blush* :redface:

I still occasionally give Ride The Lightning a listen and Appetite for Destruction was never shelved in my music collection ( *tears* they had sooo much potential).

I was actually listening to Don't Cry from Use Your Illusion and Silent Lucidity (a song no one ever remembers!) earlier today on the train, good stuff.

And this is what happens to Black people who grow up in the 'burbs... :biggrin1:

A girl after my own heart. Rock girls are so hot. I saw Queensryche on their final show for the Operation Mindcrime tour. It was one of the most amazing shows I have ever been lucky enough to witness.

Never got to see Guns live but you are right they did have so much potential. Freaking Axl messed that up.

Oh and you are gorgeous btw.:biggrin1:

Broken:biggrin1:

Broken5150

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Awesome posts everyone. Some of those bands I have never heard of. I will have to check them out.

I am a huge Van Halen fan but prior to 1992 I had an itch for something else. Well I got tickets to a show with Skid Row and this band called PANTERA. My life changed that night. I have never been so beat up musically as I did that night. The sound I had been looking for was blasted into my head at 300Mph. The next day I went out and bought both their albums and have been a hardcore fan ever sense. When Dime got killed I was livid. One of the greatest guitarist's ever and some asshole blows him away. Life just isnt fair. I also loved Damageplan as well. Life just doesnt make sense sometimes.

Here are some more of my fav bands

Godsmack
Fight
Korn
Metallica
Prong
Black label society
Sevendust
White Zombie
Van Halen
SRV
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai

Ok thats enough.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Not to split hairs, but a lot of the bands named in here are just hard rock. You want metal, come with In Flames, Hanzel und Gretyl, Turmion Katilot, Megaherz, Dimmu Borgir, Rammstein, Weissglut and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Kidney Thieves. I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen/noticed any of them mentioned.

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i used to play guitar in a metal band,
metal is what made me love music.

some of my favorite bands were
carcass
cradle of filth (older stuff)
deicide
gehenna
dimmu borgir
pestilence
suffocation
darkthrone
dark funeral
immortal
my dying bride
anathema
dark tranquility
old mans child
disincarnate

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
At this point you have to mention "eras"... 70's, 80's, 90's and after 2000... ?

Get over your favorites or you will soon end up sounding like "old Uncle Bob" who will only listen to the Beatles! ... Be open to the new metal surge of the young rockers.

Especially from the Pacific Northwest!... OK. I'm prejudiced... lol.

Broken5150

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
At this point you have to mention "eras"... 70's, 80's, 90's and after 2000... ?

Get over your favorites or you will soon end up sounding like "old Uncle Bob" who will only listen to the Beatles! ... Be open to the new metal surge of the young rockers.

Especially from the Pacific Northwest!... OK. I'm prejudiced... lol.

Nice remark man but unfortunately I cant "get over" my favorites just yet.

Rock, Metal, call it what you will and from whatever decade it comes from its all good. Im into really good guitar players (eddie, dimebag, SRV, etc.) and havent heard many these days that compare but there are some good bands out now that are bringing back guitars and virtuosity. Its nice to know that rock, metal isnt dead. If its good music I will listen to it.

Rock on.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My only issue with a lot of metal is the cheese and pretention element. Usually they cross over, but they're not mutually inclusive.

Tool is HORRIBLY pretentious, but rarely cheesy, as their music is relatively simple and so harmonically repetitive and basic compared to other bands thrown in the "progressive" bin that it rarely, if ever, falls into the cheese trap. Porcupine Tree is another good example of an aesthetically good band that suffers from a preachy, superior attitude on the part of its lyrics and message.

A lot of 80s hair metal is cheesy as all hell, but, apart from the guitar solos, not pretentious, just fun.

A lot of progressive metal, my favorite when done well, is both, unfortunately. Much as I love Operation: Mindcrime and am extremely jealous of you for seeing that tour (!) That album and band are a perfect marraige of pretention and 80s melodramatic cheese. At least it doesn't have pervasive theatric keyboards. Power and symphonic metal like Rhapsody, Kamelot and such are the pinnacles of both, taking on subject matter beyond their ability to render well and bathing it in anything but subtlelty. Dream Theater is archetypal in the use of both, but does it to great effect, and has the musical chops to back it up if you don't discount metal and it's faults as aesthetically void.

Opeth manages to avoid them both and sound remarkably genuine for a metal artist, if you can accept death metal growling as an aesthetically valid vocal style. However, he has a remarkably emotional and intelligible growl, and he has a wonderfully warm and soulful clean voice, another rarity in metal, where the trend goes operatic pomposity or cheesy "manly" rasp (Maynard being a notable exception, though lacking depth and ). None of the preachy haughtiness of Tool, Porcupine Tree and Queensryche nor the pomp and cheese of Dream Theater, Dimmu Borgir, Symphony X and the like. Believe me, as a die hard musician and metalhead, when I say they are one of the most unique and inspired bands I've ever heard, and one of the most aesthetically and musically flawless bands I've encountered in the metal genre. Not only do the performances capture this, but the notes on the page do as well.

YouTube - Opeth - The Drapery Falls
YouTube - Opeth - Bleak

^I highly recommend this album; one of the best releases of the decade in this genre. I'd pit it against Lateralus. Simultaneously incredibly emotional and heavy. The title track is one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard short of Meshuggah. But you will get nothing out of it if you can't handle death metal growling and see it's contribution to the atmosphere and mood of the music, with the exception of the 2 tracks above and maybe 1 or two others.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
I never understand the "selling out" argument. Are artists not allowed to grow? Are artists forbidden from wanting to make more popular music? Are artists prohibited from trying to make money for their craft? I mean, I just don't get it...

The band I've been listening to most lately is Every Time I Die.
I've also been digging on The Cavalera Consipiracy. (There's your "Sepultura with their act together," Chocokitty!)

Some others in my collection...and FUCK all the labels...
Bury Your Dead
Brownstar
Crowbar
Death
Death From Above 1979
Dillinger Escape Plan
Down
Fredrik Thordendal
Helmet
Meshuggah
Morbid Angel
Pantera (of course)
Pig Destroyer
Rebel Meets Rebel
Sevendust
Slipknot
Soulfly
Stompbox
Stressball
Testament
Superjoint Ritual
Tomahawk
Tool
Transport League
White Zombie

.lml

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My views on what is metal and what is crap are pretty tight, so I will not start fights on here. I love metal, and have been listening to it since the 70's when I was a kid. Had a cool aunt and uncle who introduced me to it at a young age and it stuck. Had a few mishaps along the way where I let other music creep in (military kid, had to try to fit in everywhere I moved). I always came back to metal eventually.

My new thing is doom/stoner metal. I think that these guys are a definite throwback to the roots of metal. Lots of good stuff coming out of the southern US, and well, the whole country for that matter.

I am more partial to the older metal. Hell, in my 30's and I still rock a Venom t-shirt (the band, not the Spiderman character).

If you dig metal on an esoteric level you may want to check-out, "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" which is an awesome documentary by Sam Dunn.

Up The Irons!!!

Reactions: BigdongSE

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
^Oooh, I see Lemmy!

Oh and you are gorgeous btw.:biggrin1:

I like to call it "internet pretty", but thank you! :smile:

The band I've been listening to most lately is Every Time I Die.
I've also been digging on The Cavalera Consipiracy. (There's your "Sepultura with their act together," Chocokitty!)
Thanks for the link, now I can stop mourning Sepultura's decline. :) YouTube - Cavalera Conspiracy Inflikted

I forgot about Testament, Slipknot, and Soulfly. There's another band I really loved that worre makeup with holes in their forehead... annoying, yes, but good music. Sevendust was never a fave, just never liked Lajon Witherspoon's voice.

How is it no one has mentioned Judas Priest? I do not lovvveee them, but C'mon...

D_Bozhidar_Boogerpicquer

Experimental Member
Media
I like metal a lot. Here's my list of favourites:

!T.O.O.H.!, Agalloch, Ahab, Alcest, Angra Apotheosis, Arcturus, Arghoslent, Atheist, Augury, Ayreon, Bak De Syv Fjell, Bathory, Blind Guardian, Boris, Burzum, Carcass, Celtic Frost, Cynic, Dark Angel, Darkthrone, Darkspace, Dawn, Daylight Dies, Death, Deathspell Omega, Demilich, Deströyer 666, Diabolical Masquerade, Dissection, Drudkh, Edge Of Sanity, Eluveitie, Emperor, Empyrium, Ensiferum, Enslaved, Entombed, Equilibrium, Esoteric, Estatic Fear, Evile, Evoken, Falkenbach, Graveland, Green Carnation, Gorguts, Hel, Hellveto, Hollenthon, Immolation, Immortal, In The Woods…, Intestine Baalism, Iron Maiden, Katatonia, Kronos, Limbonic Art, Lost Horizon, Lunar Aurora, Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice, Lykathea Aflame, Manticora, maudlin of the Well, Mayhem, Menhir, Megadeth, Mercyful Fate, Moonsorrow, Myrkgrav, Nazgul, Negura Bunget, Nokturnal Mortum, Nyktalgia, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, Paysage d'Hiver, Primordial, Psycroptic, Quo Vadis, Reverend Bizarre, The Ruins Of Beverast, Sabbat, Sacramentum, Shining, Sigh, Silencer, Solitude Aeturnus, Solefald, Spawn Of Possession, Suffocation, Suidakra, Summoning, Testament, Thronar, Týr, Ulver, Ved Buens Ende, Vinterland, Vio-Lence, Watain, Weakling, Windir, Wintersun, Wolves In The Throne Room

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmm, I see a lot of purists in here. I'm far from. I prefer crossover/metalcore myself. Not that I have a problem with pure metal, just that there's only so much you can do within the bounds of that genre.

Let me throw some more bands out there..

All Shall Perish
Anterrabae
Alove for Enemies
Bleeding Through
Bridge to Solace
Catherine
Darkest Hour
The Devil Wears Prada
Emmure
Elysia
Evergreen Terrace
Everytime I Die
IT DIES TODAY!!!!!!!!
Job for a Cowboy
Killwhitneydead
Ligeia
Martyr AD
Molotov Solution
Nodes of Ranvier
Norma Jean
ON BROKEN WINGS!!!!!!!
PARKWAY DRIVE!!!
Poison the Well
Still Remains
Suicide Silence
Throwdown
Trigger Point
Winds of Plague

bbw72

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My biggest problem with newer metal is... When did Metal become labeled. When I listened to Metal (This was b4 Pantera) Metal was just Metal. Now you have Sludge,Black,Hardcore,Grunge, Techno, Industrial, ETC. I mean Venom was Metal, Celtic Frost was Metal, Anthrax Metal, Metallica w/ Cliff Metal... Now I am just lost

Reactions: BigdongSE