Meteor Shower

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Tonight is supposed to be a great night for spotting meteors. It's a bit cloudy here on the coast so earlier we drove up into the Teide National park to about 8000 feet where there is no light pollution whatsoever.

Was saw only about half a dozen meteors but the stars were amazing. I've never been anywhere where you can see the sky as clearly as you could up there. The Milky Way spanned the whole sky. We were in awe of it all and just wanted to share it on here.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Tonight is supposed to be a great night for spotting meteors. It's a bit cloudy here on the coast so earlier we drove up into the Teide National park to about 8000 feet where there is no light pollution whatsoever.

Was saw only about half a dozen meteors but the stars were amazing. I've never been anywhere where you can see the sky as clearly as you could up there. The Milky Way spanned the whole sky. We were in awe of it all and just wanted to share it on here.

Thank you for reminding me.. I completely forgot. I hope the sky is clear enough to see it.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can't see shit where I am due to light pollution. I about 15 miles ouside of NYC. I'm lucky if I can see more than 4 stars.

One time on Vacation in Key West Fla, you could see Mars with the naked eye. It looked like a very bright star but with a slight orange color.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We were easily able to spot Jupiter tonight from up there. You could see at least 2 of Jupiter's moons using my pal's Astronomical binoculars. It was great being there with someone who could point out and name so many of the stars and planets.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The best time is supposed to be from 11.00pm until dawn.

I just looked up Tenerife in Google to see where it was.

My Great-Grandfather was from the Canary Islands.:redface:

And I never met anyone who was form there.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't see shit where I am due to light pollution. I about 15 miles ouside of NYC. I'm lucky if I can see more than 4 stars.

One time on Vacation in Key West Fla, you could see Mars with the naked eye. It looked like a very bright star but with a slight orange color.

You can always see Mars with the naked eye. In fact, if you feel like staying up late tonight or any night this month you can see it very bright and very orange colored rising in the east. Just above it will be the Pleaides an open star cluster that looks like a really small little dipper (not the actual 'little dipper' which is actualy part of a larger constellation Ursa Minor), you can see this with the naked eye as well. Below it will be Taurus the Bull (marked by another redish star and open cluster) and Orion the Hunter (marked by the 3 stars aligned in his belt).

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Jupiter is the easiest planet to spot at the moment as it is by far the brightest. It is near Scorpio to the south east of the sky.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You can always see Mars with the naked eye. In fact, if you feel like staying up late tonight or any night this month you can see it very bright and very orange colored rising in the east. Just above it will be the Pleaides an open star cluster that looks like a really small little dipper (not the actual 'little dipper' which is actualy part of a larger constellation Ursa Minor), you can see this with the naked eye as well. Below it will be Taurus the Bull (marked by another redish star and open cluster) and Orion the Hunter (marked by the 3 stars aligned in his belt).

I'm not too far from Newark Airport. I can't see shit from where I am. I didn't even know that anyone could see any planet with the naked eye until that time on vacation.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah man you can see Jupiter right now and Mars in a little while. You can tell something is a planet because its light does not blink. Jupiter and Venus are brighter than any stars you will see, and venus is almost always visible after the sun sets or before the sun rises (because it is closer to the sun than earth it also follows the sun in the sky). Jupiter is king in the sky to the south of us now and Mars will rise in the east over the city soon.