Metrosexual terminology

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Been off for a couple of days while moving and felt like posting...First for some reason I don't know why but I really do not like the term...But I guess it fits myself and my friends...All the guys I hang out with are "straight" (on any given night there about 5 to 15 of us hanging out...Pretty much all of them are really good looking guys that are really into their looks and clothes...I mean I have seen some of these guys and their girlfriends fight for the mirror and take just as long to get ready...This past weekend and a lot of weekends the first thing a girl (who doesn't know us) will come up and ask are you or is your friend gay...I always say no - they are straight, then the typical reply is good because he is really hot...Doesn't really bother us because we are use to it and all are not homophobic and really comfortable with out sexuality...My point is that gay guys most of the time do not assume we are gay but women tend too...So what do folks really think about the term because we all pretty were like before the term metrosexual even came out...

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Pene_Negro_Grande@Jul 19 2005, 06:10 AM
Been off for a couple of days while moving and felt like posting...First for some reason I don't know why but I really do not like the term...But I guess it fits myself and my friends...All the guys I hang out with are "straight" (on any given night there about 5 to 15 of us hanging out...Pretty much all of them are really good looking guys that are really into their looks and clothes...I mean I have seen some of these guys and their girlfriends fight for the mirror and take just as long to get ready...This past weekend and a lot of weekends the first thing a girl (who doesn't know us) will come up and ask are you or is your friend gay...I always say no - they are straight, then the typical reply is good because he is really hot...Doesn't really bother us because we are use to it and all are not homophobic and really comfortable with out sexuality...My point is that gay guys most of the time do not assume we are gay but women tend too...So what do folks really think about the term because we all pretty were like before the term metrosexual even came out...
[post=330217]Quoted post[/post]​

Malachi,

I believe in the past you would have been called a male peacock. It isnt a new thing. Examples? Louis IV , James Stuart, Aramis ,Porthos, Athos and D'Artagnon, Lord Byron, Beau Brummel, the list is endless. Why do you think we all appreciated the Pirates of the Carribean?Willy Wonka ? Johnny Depp is a perfect embodiment. Males strutting their stuff .The human as peacock....

blasian

Just Browsing
Media
I don't think I've ever been called "metrosexual." I often get the gay thing, because my best friend is very obviously gay and people think we are dating when we go out together. As far as the preening thing, I do care about my hair/shoes, but my overall clothes don't have a really "done up" look; nor do I use a lot of skin products, etc. I kind of think the word is more a pop-terminology category than anything else.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
It is just a pop-culture term, I get called it all the time. There's nothing wrong with "preening". In nature, most male birds are the ones with the fancy feathers and colors, so why can't we be the ones who look good? For years, men were always dressed in finery, then along came the mid 20th century and all of a sudden, it was "gay" if a man dressed well or cared about his appearance. The tide has turned, but people still seem to have remnants of that stigma if one takes care of themself, wears nice clothes, uses any kind of hair/skin product, knows proper manners, etc. In the old days, it was just being a gentleman. Our society has just become so lax in everything that it's like we've just refound some new standard and come up with a new term for something that has been around for hundreds of years. Metrosexuals unite!

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by prepstudinsc+Jul 19 2005, 10:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prepstudinsc &#064; Jul 19 2005, 10:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Our society has just become so lax in everything that it&#39;s like we&#39;ve just refound some new standard and come up with a new term for something that has been around for hundreds of years.
[post=330277]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

I&#39;d buy that. It&#39;s a desperate attempt to coin a catch phrase to toss around on E&#33; Our culture gets so bored with itself that we have to invent pointless "new" twists. Couldn&#39;t our time be better spent taking care of one another?

<!--QuoteBegin-prepstudinsc
@Jul 19 2005, 10:28 AM
It is just a pop-culture term, I get called it all the time.
[post=330277]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]
That and more, right? Admit it, Monty&#33; You get off on the name-calling. ;)

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by blasian@Jul 19 2005, 08:59 AM
I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever been called "metrosexual." I often get the gay thing, because my best friend is very obviously gay and people think we are dating when we go out together. As far as the preening thing, I do care about my hair/shoes, but my overall clothes don&#39;t have a really "done up" look; nor do I use a lot of skin products, etc. I kind of think the word is more a pop-terminology category than anything else.
[post=330257]Quoted post[/post]​

Thing is that we I guess are done up but it looks natural...Well the fellas I hang out with are into the hair, skin care products (one guy even at 24 has more chanel skin care products including eye creams)...These guys shop more than chicks...I mean if they dress down in jeans - you bet they cost about &#036;170 and up and can make jeans and t-shirts look awesome...Granted alot of these guys are current, former, aspiring models/actors, and spoiled trust fund kids so they were conditioned to take care of their looks...Yeah we get people probably think we are dating or something too but we are all straight and these guys are mostly alpha males so their is a lot of competition for the females...It is pretty funny to just hang out with guys to see how women fall for their game they put out...

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by naughty@Jul 19 2005, 06:24 AM
Malachi,

I believe in the past you would have been called a male peacock. It isnt a new thing. Examples? Louis IV , James Stuart, Aramis ,Porthos, Athos and D&#39;Artagnon, Lord Byron, Beau Brummel, the list is endless. Why do you think we all appreciated the Pirates of the Carribean?Willy Wonka ? Johnny Depp is a perfect embodiment. Males strutting their stuff .The human as peacock....
[post=330247]Quoted post[/post]​

That&#39;s funny - I thought about the peacock thing one time...

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by steve319@Jul 19 2005, 11:22 AM
That and more, right? Admit it, Monty&#33; You get off on the name-calling. ;)
[post=330298]Quoted post[/post]​

No, I don&#39;t, because I will admit that I am right off the bat. lol

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Pene_Negro_Grande@Jul 19 2005, 11:53 AM

Thing is that we I guess are done up but it looks natural...Well the fellas I hang out with are into the hair, skin care products (one guy even at 24 has more chanel skin care products including eye creams)...These guys shop more than chicks...I mean if they dress down in jeans - you bet they cost about &#036;170 and up and can make jeans and t-shirts look awesome...Granted alot of these guys are current, former, aspiring models/actors, and spoiled trust fund kids so they were conditioned to take care of their looks...Yeah we get people probably think we are dating or something too but we are all straight and these guys are mostly alpha males so their is a lot of competition for the females...It is pretty funny to just hang out with guys to see how women fall for their game they put out...
[post=330314]Quoted post[/post]​

You hit the nail on the head...it&#39;s supposed to look good, but natural, not fake. We get our brows waxed, but they don&#39;t look done. We get our hair highlighted or colored somehow, but it looks natural, etc. It&#39;s hard work looking good, that&#39;s why it takes so long to get ready, but the results are worth it.

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Originally posted by naughty@Jul 19 2005, 10:24 AM
Lord Byron
[post=330247]Quoted post[/post]​

Lord Byron was Bi - he had a fling with his best friend.

Then again Lord Byron was just about everything&#33; He had sex with his best friend, with his sister, with his sister&#39;s friend, with his sister&#39;s friend&#39;s friend...

He was probably the most sexed MP ever.

Well, bar Damien Hockney, who is allegedly "Ginormous".

A Metrosexual is specifically a strait man who seems "camp" or "gay", but isn&#39;t.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I feel that the word orignates from a stereotypical view of the male as neanderthal (that and our constant need to classify, catergorize, and label everthing). In this view--men are sloppy, don&#39;t take care of themselves or pride in their appearance. God forbid a guy iron his clothes or comb his hair or keep a clean and orderly house. Well--then he can&#39;t be a guy (hetereosexual) so he must be a metrosexual (if he&#39;s not gay).

I have been called metrosexual and dont really think about it much. I do take priode in my appearance--my clothes are always neat and clean, my face is washed, my head shaved (both heads, actually) and I like nice things and for thing to be neat.

Slovenliness is not a virtue.

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by prepstudinsc+Jul 19 2005, 01:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prepstudinsc &#064; Jul 19 2005, 01:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Pene_Negro_Grande@Jul 19 2005, 11:53 AM

[post=330314]Quoted post[/post]​

You hit the nail on the head...it&#39;s supposed to look good, but natural, not fake. We get our brows waxed, but they don&#39;t look done. We get our hair highlighted or colored somehow, but it looks natural, etc. It&#39;s hard work looking good, that&#39;s why it takes so long to get ready, but the results are worth it.
[post=330364]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah you do sound like a lot of my friends because they do the same thing and I probably never wear the same shirt in a 2 to 3 month period...I have more clothes than a store but a lot of that comes from days that I use to model full time - got to keep a lot of the clothes...Everytime I get a place like my current place I had 2 rooms renovated to one big bedroom and one giant walk in closet...I am a clothes whore - can&#39;t help to buy new clothes every week...Definitely something I need therapy about (LOL)...
[/b][/quote]

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by naughty@Jul 19 2005, 05:24 AM
I believe in the past you would have been called a male peacock. It isnt a new thing. Examples? Louis IV , James Stuart, Aramis ,Porthos, Athos and D&#39;Artagnon, Lord Byron, Beau Brummel,  the list is endless.

We really can&#39;t consider Lord Byron and James Stuart (if you&#39;re referring to James I) as straight men who dressed flamboyantly. Lord Byron was bisexual, more gay than straight, and James I was gayer than a pound of pink feathers. (Attention, fundies and members of the Religious Right: the man who authorised the translation of the Bible that you use was referred to by his subjects as &#39;Queen James&#39;&#33;) Now the Musketeers: Aramis was no peacock. He was studying to be a priest and always wore plain black. Clean and well cared for, but plain. Athos was a count (unbeknownst to his companions) and a man of means, but he always wore understated doublets of subdued colours. The fabric was probably costly and well-made, but not flashy. D&#39;artagnan was a country bumpkin who tried to look like he belonged in the big city. The result is that he looked and dressed like a country bumpkin who tried to look like he belonged in the big city. His saving grace was that he was devilishly goodlooking and courteous. Porthos was a peacock: he spent a good portion of his money on fine clothing and even provided rich livery for his servants. Of course, much that we read about the Musketeers was fictionalised.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Jul 19 2005, 08:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Jul 19 2005, 08:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-naughty@Jul 19 2005, 05:24 AM
I believe in the past you would have been called a male peacock. It isnt a new thing. Examples? Louis IV , James Stuart, Aramis ,Porthos, Athos and D&#39;Artagnon, Lord Byron, Beau Brummel,  the list is endless.

We really can&#39;t consider Lord Byron and James Stuart (if you&#39;re referring to James I) as straight men who dressed flamboyantly. Lord Byron was bisexual, more gay than straight, and James I was gayer than a pound of pink feathers. (Attention, fundies and members of the Religious Right: the man who authorised the translation of the Bible that you use was referred to by his subjects as &#39;Queen James&#39;&#33;) Now the Musketeers: Aramis was no peacock. He was studying to be a priest and always wore plain black. Clean and well cared for, but plain. Athos was a count (unbeknownst to his companions) and a man of means, but he always wore understated doublets of subdued colours. The fabric was probably costly and well-made, but not flashy. D&#39;artagnan was a country bumpkin who tried to look like he belonged in the big city. The result is that he looked and dressed like a country bumpkin who tried to look like he belonged in the big city. His saving grace was that he was devilishly goodlooking and courteous. Athos was a peacock: he spent a good portion of his money on fine clothing and even provided rich livery for his servants. Of course, much that we read about the Musketeers was fictionalised.
[post=330433]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Thank you. After I posted I did think about a number of the men I mentioned but this was great opportunity to be further enlightened on the subject.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Pene_Negro_Grande@Jul 19 2005, 04:18 PM
Yeah you do sound like a lot of my friends because they do the same thing and I probably never wear the same shirt in a 2 to 3 month period...I have more clothes than a store but a lot of that comes from days that I use to model full time - got to keep a lot of the clothes...Everytime I get a place like my current place I had 2 rooms renovated to one big bedroom and one giant walk in closet...I am a clothes whore - can&#39;t help to buy new clothes every week...Definitely something I need therapy about (LOL)...
[post=330429]Quoted post[/post]​

We&#39;d hit it off well...I&#39;ve got three closets in my bedroom, all of them full of clothes. I&#39;ve got shoes everywhere I can fit them, too. It&#39;s tough being well put together. I haven&#39;t done any shopping this week yet, but it&#39;s still early...

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by prepstudinsc@Jul 19 2005, 08:35 PM
We&#39;d hit it off well...I&#39;ve got three closets in my bedroom, all of them full of clothes. I&#39;ve got shoes everywhere I can fit them, too. It&#39;s tough being well put together. I haven&#39;t done any shopping this week yet, but it&#39;s still early...
[post=330487]Quoted post[/post]​

Get to it...I already have went shopping today...Bought 3 more shirts that I probably didn&#39;t need...

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
:shrug: I don&#39;t see the point in putting a bunch of crap on your skin / hair / whatever. just seems like insecurity to me - why bother unless you don&#39;t feel you look "good enough" already?

society glorifies superficiality in all things, most of all appearance - and moreso now than at any point in history. predictably, people now are more obsessed with the details of their appearance than ever before. for too many people, the cosmetic fetish isn&#39;t even so much about how one appears to other people as how one appears to ONESSELF - hence the obvious insecurity issue.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
A "metrosexual" is a straight guy who&#39;s into fashion.

The opposite&#39;s a "retrosexual", better known as a real man.

mavedick

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by SomeGuyOverThere@Jul 19 2005, 01:04 PM
A Metrosexual is specifically a strait man who seems "camp" or "gay", but isn&#39;t.
[post=330369]Quoted post[/post]​

That&#39;s a correct definition by my understanding. No offense intended to anyone, but I think they&#39;re kinda funny&#33; They don&#39;t seem very masculine to me, and I wonder what women see in them.

I&#39;m just the opposite of a metrosexual. (See my signature below in red.)

This doesn&#39;t mean that I&#39;m a slob. Most people would say that I look pretty good. I shower regularly, shave, brush my teeth, use deodorant, clip my nails, and dress clean and appropriately. Beyond that, who cares? I don&#39;t own any shampoos, conidtioners, or skin lotions. I wash my hair with the same bar soap with which I shower, and I cut it myself with Wahl clippers. I feel dressed up when I&#39;m in twill slacks and a tweed jacket or blazer. I&#39;ve never been in a tuxedo in my life, and hope I never am&#33;