Mexico city considers two year marriage contract

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by monel, Oct 3, 2011.

1. monel

Gold Member

Considering the state of Marriage throughout the world, what do people think of this proposal? Is it a needless concept? Can't 2 people just live together if they are uncertain about whether to get married. It would address the spousal rights issues, which are often lost when 2 people do not marry. However, there are private contractual ways to address many of those problems. In addition, there is a growing trend of allowing people to name the person he/she wants to get certain benefits instead of these benefits only being available to a spouse (particularly in the workplace).

Anyway, here is the link. Marriage Savior or death knell?

'Til 2013 do us part? Mexico mulls 2-year marriage - Yahoo! News

2. D_Alec_Baldtwins

D_Alec_Baldtwins Account Disabled

I don't think it's a bad idea, necessarily. The main problem I see with it is if the couple has kids. Plus, you're invariably going to have property rights issues if people break up, and now they'll have to be litigated in civil court.

3. hud01

Gold Member

You could just as easily have a pre-nup which covers the same issues. You have to remember that things change over time assets are gained and lost that were not there at the time of marriage, as well was said, the children. People can change, one partner could cheat, become mentally unstable.......

4. durbantom

durbantom Active Member

Albums:
    I personally feel that marriage should be entered into as a lifetime commitment. Basically come rain or shine the two people undertake to be there for each other from the marriage date until death. How that agreement is structured is unique to each case.

2 year marriage is likely to cause insecureties between the couple.

5. D_Alec_Baldtwins

D_Alec_Baldtwins Account Disabled

Or it could keep the partners from growing complacent...

6. minimag

minimag Active Member

Albums:
    How does "common-law" fit into the mix?

7. monel

Gold Member

Though I haven't seen the proposed bill, I think the law would spell out what is each spouse's property rights. I imagine they would be limited in comparison to those in a traditional marriage. The same would likely be similar for spousal support. I don't see that the new law would effect parental rights and obligations as the current law already covers these rights even in instances where children are born out of wedlock.

Regarding common law, it would only be an issue if common law marriage is recognized in the jurisdiction. Even if it does, the new law is unlikely to effect it as these 2 year marriages would be an actual marriage certified by the state as opposed to one that is merely recognized based on duration and the circumstances of the couple's relationship.

8. august86

august86 Member

Albums:
    I find it quite amusing that I'll be able to upgrade my wife at the same time as I would be upgrading my cellphone. New wife, new iPhone :rolleyes:

Tomfoolery aside, although the concept of marriage and what it entails is given so little consideration these days, I disagree with the idea of having 2-year marriage contracts.
    In my country, we have the option of entering into civil partnerships if the couple is not ready for the committment of Marriage/Civil Union.

9. cocktaste

Gold Member

She won't give head, so, you know...

Draft saved Draft deleted