Mexico City starts grope-free buses for women

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Will they have another car and bus reserved FOR groping?

Interesting that the last car on the BART trains here are frequently known as places where gay men, how shall we say... "connect".

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hallelujah. I've spent time in Mexico and many other countries, and the liberties that males sometimes take is unnerving.

- - - - - -

LOL, Earllogham, but in that case it's consensual. :rolleyes:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hallelujah. I've spent time in Mexico and many other countries, and the liberties that males sometimes take is unnerving.

- - - - - -

LOL, Earllogham, but in that case it's consensual. :rolleyes:

You should wear a baggy old trench coat to cover your figure on the subway, Hotmilf. :smile:

I have been back of the hand nudged against one time by a well dressed professional WOMAN in a rush hour crowded NYC subway car. It was odd at first as I thought it an accident but after the 3rd time her hand nudged me down there I indulged her with a cheap thrill by getting a chubby. I found her business card in my suit pocket the next day.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good one, earllogjam! :tongue22:

- - -- - - -

Actually, I've been thinking about it, and I don't know whether this is a good thing at all.

When transportation doesn't keep pace with population increases, too many people get jammed into tight spaces. For example, LA and Orange Country freeways in So California.

So in Mexico City, where population is like KABOOM and traffic is frigging AWFUL!, I hope that they are ADDING bus service -- not converting existing service.

Personally, I think that the invisibility granted by tight quarters allowed some men to be nasty... and more and more people started to grope just because they could. Guys were probably being groped too.

There's no way people could get away with this if they weren't packed like sardines.

So, I think they're tackling the wrong problem.

D_golden parachute

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good one, earllogjam! :tongue22:

- - -- - - -

Actually, I've been thinking about it, and I don't know whether this is a good thing at all.

When transportation doesn't keep pace with population increases, too many people get jammed into tight spaces. For example, LA and Orange Country freeways in So California.

So in Mexico City, where population is like KABOOM and traffic is frigging AWFUL!, I hope that they are ADDING bus service -- not converting existing service.

Personally, I think that the transportation problem just became an excuse for some men to be nasty.

There's no way people could get away with this if they weren't packed like sardines.

I'm sure that would do wonders for global warming.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, people don't do anything good for global warming, so let's just take votes, figure out who gets to live, and polish everyone else off. :eek::tongue:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I think gropers take advantage of the anonimity of a crowd. It's bad enough that women live in fear of being raped every single day but may subway riders just have no option but to endure this. I think some cities already have subway cars reserved for women and children. Maybe Tokyo? Istanbul?

I remember being in the famous rush hour Tokyo subway where white gloved station agents regularly push people into the packed trains. The train lurched then a woman screamed out "Sawaruna". I really had no idea what it meant and when I asked a Japanese collegue he laughed and said it translated to - "Don't feel me up."

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I remember being in the famous rush hour Tokyo subway where white gloved station agents regularly push people into the packed trains. The train lurched then a woman screamed out "Sawaruna". I really had no idea what it meant and when I asked a Japanese collegue he laughed and said it translated to - "Don't feel me up."

I stayed away from the Tokyo trains at rush hours. I wasn't worried about being groped I was worried I'd get stuck inside and not notice my stop ending up miles away from where I wanted to go and spending ages figuring out a way back! I liked the subway, but I never saw it at it's most 'popular'.

If you want crowded buses, take the camel buses in Havana!!!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Personally, I think that the invisibility granted by tight quarters allowed some men to be nasty... and more and more people started to grope just because they could. Guys were probably being groped too.

I agree. If the entire country improved and supplemented their mass transit systems more people would use it. This would cut down on the auto emissions released and hopefully slow down Global Warming.

Also, Japan has been doing the 'grope free bus for women' for a few years now. I think it's a good idea actually. I used to be groped regularly on the PATH trains between NYC and New Jersey.:mad:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good point.

You know, some lawyers could get rich (and do some good for once), if they started some class actions suits on transportation.

Not the usual train wreck kind of case, but...

A) Suing the MTA, for example, for groping -- in other words, crowded conditions that create public unsafety.

B) Suing the DOT for personal damages, such as the expense of having to maintain two or three cars to a family because the public transportation sucks, or perhaps loss of a loved one on a busy road because there were too many cars.

C) Suing the state (pick a state, any state except perhaps Dakota :tongue: but especially California) for misappropriation of transportation funds. (The infrastructure is AWFUL in the metropolitan areas of CA, and despite the extra taxes we pay specifically for roads, the money always goes elsewhere, like to pay for private jets and pensions for sycophants.)

Hate to say it, but it sometimes it takes law suits to make corporations and governments change.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I stayed away from the Tokyo trains at rush hours. I wasn't worried about being groped I was worried I'd get stuck inside and not notice my stop ending up miles away from where I wanted to go and spending ages figuring out a way back! I liked the subway, but I never saw it at it's most 'popular'.

If you want crowded buses, take the camel buses in Havana!!!

The Tokyo Subway wasn't that bad actually since I towered over practically everyone - you'll find most Tokyo subways idiot proof as most Japanese hate suprises and rather anal about things - trains painted the same color as the system map line, ultra polite recorded announcements of the next station in addition to muliple route maps with lights indicating what the next station will be...in English. Hard to get lost on them.

Never been to Havana as it is verboten territory for most Americans but have seen the "buses" I think you are taking about - a truck pulling a wheeled cab of sorts. Bet they're not air conditioned either. lol

You haven't seen crowded until you've been to Mumbai. It's something that you can't imagine coming from the west. I suspect you've been there Dong - you've been everywhere else in the world.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Tokyo Subway wasn't that bad actually since I towered over practically everyone - you'll find most Tokyo subways idiot proof as most Japanese hate suprises and rather anal about things - trains painted the same color as the system map line, ultra polite recorded announcements of the next station in addition to muliple route maps with lights indicating what the next station will be...in English. Hard to get lost on them.

Yes, I never once got lost on the Tokyo subway.

Never been to Havana as it is verboten territory for most Americans but have seen the "buses" I think you are taking about - a truck pulling a wheeled cab of sorts. Bet they're not air conditioned either. lol

I keep forgetting that little nugget of foreign policy foolishness. Shame, it was great back in the mid '90s when I went and no doubt better before that, but I think it's become a bit tawdry now. Still, Havana is probably still Havana so long as you avoid the tourist spots. As for A/C, well they have windows! Also they all seemed to be pink but I think there were some blue ones too. It seems they're being phased out in favour of Chinese buses.

I found a photo.

You haven't seen crowded until you've been to Mumbai. It's something that you can't imagine coming from the west. I suspect you've been there Dong - you've been everywhere else in the world.

No, I've not been to Mumbai (yet) but I did drive round Delhi (where the buses are similarly packed) which was a hoot - literally. A little like Beirut only with more random cows. Both cities are great fun to drive round, so long as you don't mind being nanoseconds from horrific carnage the entire time. Ok, maybe not the entire time.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No, I've not been to Mumbai (yet) but I did drive round Delhi (where the buses are similarly packed) which was a hoot - literally. A little like Beirut only with more random cows. Both cities are great fun to drive round, so long as you don't mind being nanoseconds from horrific carnage the entire time. Ok, maybe not the entire time.

Ahh, yes the cows in the middle of the road. Isn't India amazing... how it all seems to work. Never had your courage to drive in India.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good point.

You know, some lawyers could get rich (and do some good for once), if they started some class actions suits on transportation.

Not the usual train wreck kind of case, but...

A) Suing the MTA, for example, for groping -- in other words, crowded conditions that create public unsafety.

B) Suing the DOT for personal damages, such as the expense of having to maintain two or three cars to a family because the public transportation sucks, or perhaps loss of a loved one on a busy road because there were too many cars.

How would these two not get laughed out of court?

A) Groping happens all over the place including offices with plenty of space. The MTA can't regulate or be held accountable for what other people do. At best the judge would look over the rims of his glasses at you and say, "I see..."

You might have an argument for safety. All public spaces and means of transport have a maximum capacity allowed. Overcrowding creates evacuation problems in cases of emergency. I believe these are basic fire safety guidelines.

B) Oh, honey, no. You'd just be told that if more people used the public transit system instead of buying additional cars then the PTS would have more funding for increased coverage.

Rarely is a family forced to buy a second vehicle. It's generally done for convenience so that there is less hassle of carpooling.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ahh, yes the cows in the middle of the road. Isn't India amazing... how it all seems to work. Never had your courage to drive in India.

Yes, I loved it, especially the time I spent in Ladakh and later Kashmir - until the Ayodyah Mosque incident in Dec 1992 when it turned pretty ugly for a while and I got stuck in Srinagar. I snuck out by bus to Jammu eventually. I'd love to go back one day.

After learning to ride a motorbike in Cambodia earlier that same year (while the UN were winding up UNAMIC and setting up UNTAC), nothing really fazes me when it comes to traffic. Other things, sure, but not traffic.

It was a bit better when I was last there in 1999. Most notably the absence of stir crazy blind drunk UN truck drivers driving down the middle of the road at night without lights!