MI & OH Dems...Time for Primary Mischief!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MichiganRico, Feb 13, 2012.

1. MichiganRico

Gold Member

Michigan holds its Presidential Primary vote on February 28 and Ohio has its on March 6. These are two critical states for Romney. May I suggest that those of us who are Democrats consider voting in the Republican primary....and hold our collective noses and control our gag reflexes as we color in the bubble for Rick Santorum. (And please don't bother with Newt, he's not polling well in either state.) We Dems really need to take advantage of having an uncontested primary and help our Republican brothers and sisters nominate a real loser (in all senses of the word), Rick (Google him) Santorum.

And if you're thinking this isn't ethical, just recall what Gov. Romney said about having voted for MA Democrat Paul Tsongas in the 1992 Democratic Presidential Primary when he was a registered Independent. He explained his vote as helping to creat "a little mischief" for the Dems in their primary--a big old lie, but I'll accept it. And to quote Mitt again, "What's good for the goose is also good for the gander."

Santorum wins in Michigan and Ohio would put the Romney campaign into a real tailspin--and wouldn't that be interesting?

2. D_Judith K Rantz

D_Judith K Rantz New Member

Oh how nice: blatantly lying and rigging a primary for your own (opposite) political benefit... why don't you play mature and fair like grownups do and vote when your own party has a vote?

In conclusion: be the bigger person and don't stoop to such levels as others, even if they make it sound okay. Vote for the eligible individual, regardless of party affiliation, who you think is the best one for the job.

Just FYI - I'm a registered Independent.

#2 D_Judith K Rantz, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. houtx48

Gold Member

I wish you well on you endeavor............ But don't get any Santorum on you I hear it hell to get the stain out.

4. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    Are you sure that in Michigan & Ohio you can vote in the opposite party's primary?? In Pennsylvania and where I live in Kansas -- you can only vote in the primary of the party to which you are registered AND Independents cannot vote in primaries. Now you COULD re-register AS a Republican to vote in their primary, but there are date limits prior to that primary and I would suspect at this point that time limit has expired (it's usually a month to 60 days prior to any election). Anyway --- this kind of thing happens in States like Missouri where you simply register to vote and do not have to declare a party affiliation. LOTS AND LOTS of people go to the polls to nominate the weaker primary candidate to oppose the person you plan to vote for in the general election!

But..............a little different thought. If you look at the Republican Party right now, the dynamic you see is rather disconcerting. At the CPAC meeting and if you listen to the candidates battling one another, the question might as well be, "Will the REAL, true blood, consistent conservative please stand up!"

MY personal thought is that for 2012 they've already shot themselves in the foot. Obama WILL be re-elected. BUT...........once the Conservative movement in the land DOES find a spokesperson they will become one of the most dangerous movements this nation has seen since the rise of the KKK in the 1920's. Listen to the VISION of the nation they spell out (right now it's in bits and pieces -- but not too hard to put the puzzle together).

The "unrest" and anger in America only needs a focus. All it takes is to make "someone" some minority or "label" that identifies a minority to rally the troops to "save" America. Attacks on Planned Parenthood, de-funding Medicare and Social Security, Scrap the Department of Education, demonize those who are jobless, lift up "personhood" to the level of "every sperm is sacred" (love the Monty Python/Oklahoma take on this one). It may SOUND ludicrous, but the vision they represent would fractionalize and divide America for decades to come.

How "slick" to run in 2010 on "jobs, jobs, jobs" and then have all the Republican Governors and Republican Legislatures elected unilaterally in their individual states propose attacks on "collective bargaining," doing away with Child Labor Laws, and revamping voter laws to prevent supposed fraud!! As I've said before -- "Always the hidden agenda! Always the hidden agenda!"

Obama re-elected?? They could CARE LESS. They're going to pump their energies and Koch Brothers money into the House and Senate races! Go ahead and re-elect Obama -- we'll make sure his agenda is crippled by a Congress that thinks & votes "our" way!

5. D_Miranda_Wrights

D_Miranda_Wrights Account Disabled

Pennsylvania is a closed (Republicans-only) primary. Ohio allows Republicans and independents but not Democrats.

6. MichiganRico

Gold Member

Michigan voters do NOT register by party affiliation. ANYONE, who is a registered voter, can go to the polls on February 28 and request a Republican primary ballot....PERIOD.

Ohio, I believe, has already begun "early voting." It is my understanding that you can change your declared party affiliation at the polls--although you may be requested to sign a party affiliation statement. Ohio is considered to be a "semi-closed" primary so anyone who is registered Republican or Independent may vote in the Primary AND if you don't mind the hassle of changing party affiliation--Democrats as well.

Republican voter turn-out in all the primaries thus far has been very low...so a significant "crossover" vote for Santorum in Michigan (Santorum is already slightly leading Romney in polling) and Ohio could be devasting to the Romney campaign. And wouldn't that just give Mitt a fit?

#6 MichiganRico, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. ThickMeatJacker

ThickMeatJacker New Member

Albums:
  8. D_Miranda_Wrights

D_Miranda_Wrights Account Disabled

Yeah...you're right about Michigan. I just misread "Michigan" as "Pennsylvania" for who knows what reason

9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  10. Channelwood

Channelwood New Member

I am a registered member of the Republican Party, yet I do not consider myself ideologically a Republican.

Why? Because elections are a game, and to win a game does not always mean playing offense, it sometimes means playing defense, especially in a voting system as antiquated as the one in America.

Rigging a primary? Ludicrous. I'm playing by the rules. Since the rules are antiquated and don't allow you to vote by the +1, -1 system (you can only vote for a person, not against one), then I choose to use the system within the rules to achieve the outcome I want. And railing against "for your own (opposite) political benefit"? What other purpose is there to a political contest than to work for your own political benefit?

In the last Presidential caucuses, I accounted for 25% of my precinct, and was able to sway another 25% (1 person) to a candidate I believed *less* likely to win the general election.

In this caucus, I now have a position of elected authority from which I can initiate change. Probably not much, since my fellow Republican precinct members are all ignorant racists, but some.

11. MichiganRico

Gold Member

A Reminder

TODAY,TUESDAY, MARCH 28, IS PRIMARY VOTING DAY IN MICHIGAN AND ARIZONA. DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE!

12. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I so would if it were possible (but I'm in NY). :biggrin1:

13. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    A Reminder, today is only February 28.....although perhaps Arizona and mIchigan have a different calender.

14. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    CNN reports that Santorum's campaign has been making auto calls to registered Democrats for the last 24 hours urging them to vote for him in Michigan's primary to "send the Massachusetts [read liberal] governor a message". While I applaud the result, this blatant, sleazy move completely belies Ricky's self-proclaimed "integrity" and "principles". Yeah, Rick. You're the Christian morality candidate all right. :rolleyes:

15. MichiganRico

Gold Member

Ooops, I'm always ahead of my time, lol. Let's try that again!

A Reminder

TODAY, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28, IS PRIMARY VOTING DAY IN MICHIGAN AND ARIZONA. DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE!

(I'm MichiganRico and I approved this message.)

#15 MichiganRico, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  16. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah I took care of it a few hours ago.

17. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:

The results came in and Romney has a current win in Michigan.....apparently not many heard your request.

voter apathy took place in spots including Genesee County where they say a total of 14 percent turned out for the vote.

Michigan primary results in Mitt Romney winning Michigan, losing Genesee County | MLive.com

"....county results show 46,502 of 338,776 registered voters -- or 14 percent -- cast ballots here. That's down from 16 percent in the 2008 presidential primary.

Romney's loss here comes despite his winning other industrial, blue-collar counties like Wayne, Saginaw and Bay......"

18. AtomicMouse1950

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The mischief voting didn't work Mittens won.

19. MichiganRico

Gold Member

Wouldn't call a 3% win in your "home state" an impressive win, but as Mitt himself said, "A win is a win." (But as Clinton said, "That depends on what the meaning of the word is is." Michigan delegates are apportioned by the winner of each Congressional district. Not sure yet what the actual delegate totals will be.) Based on what I saw at my polling station yesterday, I thought voting was way down...but Michigan actually voted in numbers greater than in 2004. MSNBC indicated that its polling data determined that 10% of yesterday's electorate was "cross-over dems." Too bad we couldn't have doubled that. Maybe Ohio will fare better.

20. MichiganRico

Gold Member

Since it's SUPER TUESDAY, time to bump this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted