Michael Hancock elected as Denver's Next Mayor

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ColoradoGuy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I realize Denver doesn't rank up there with Chicago and New York in terms of important US metropolitan cities, but I wanted to note Michael Hancock's election as the next mayor of Denver.

Mayor-elect Hancock follows the very successful John Hickenlooper (now Colorado's Governor) into office. The reason why this is significant? Hancock didn't run a negative campaign and didn't spend as much money as his opponent, Chris Romer. He is a Denver native from very humble circumstances who survived poverty, homelessness, and a single parent family as a child to emerge as a leader. There's a lot of lessons to be gleaned from his success.

To Romer's credit, rather than make the obligatory concession phone call, both he and his wife personally visited Hancock at his election night 'watch' party to concede the election.

I didn't agree with Romer's campaign strategy, but he is a quality guy and his actions on election night prove it.

2. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Denver is a fairly important city, actually- probably on the second tier of cities, below NYC, Chicago, L.A.

3. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yeah... I've never really understood the 'hierarchy' that is ascribed to US cities nor the criteria used to rank them. I know it's not as important as the ones you mention and I might even add another CA city to that list: San Francisco.

I just liked Michael Hancock's story and thought it might be a Thread that people could comment on without getting so partisan. I was glad to see your post -- up until now it was just crickets in here. :wink:

4. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    San Francisco (well, Bay Area) is probably not on that same tier as NYC, etc. That tier, from other countries, would include Tokyo, London, Paris, Rome, etc. My San Diego is second tier, but probably more mid to lower :(

5. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Having lived in the area and worked in San Diego, I gotta' say... it offers things you can't find anywhere else: short commutes to downtown and the airport, unbelievably great weather, and a pretty vibrant business community that (I think) tends to support small business.

6. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I saw the title of this thread and assumed that it was posted here because the mayor-elect's name sounds like "hand cock."

You can read all about how cities are ranked in global importance here. Denver is in the class "gamma plus," i.e., the top tier of the third rank.* San Francisco is in beta plus. San Diego is in gamma minus.

*Edited to add: Maybe that should be top rank of the third tier?

#6 Calboner, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Interesting... I didn't think to look at the Wikipedia to see what was written there. Thanks for the link. I've lived in a couple of the cities on the "top 10" list and based on housing prices, I am sort of glad we're merely a 'gamma class' city.

As to our new mayor's name... you only needed to see I started the Thread to rule that assumption out. :wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted