Michael Jackson - going for broke

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Kaye Throttlebottom, Mar 25, 2008.

1. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

I stumbled across this article this morning...aside of Michael Jackson's weird behavior...and questionable views on what is considered "nurturing" for children...it amazes me when people, like Michael Jackson, make enormous sums of money only to fritter it away on frivolous investments. It's sad.

March 25, 2008 12:00am

THE once mighty Jackson family is just scaping by, with broke family members even resorting to stacking supermarket shelves to earn a crust.
    The glory days of sequin-studded seven figure performances are over, with the cash strapped family now paying for decades of poor financial decisions.

Here is a rundown of their current state of affairs.

Joseph Jackson, 79
    The Jackson dad hustles various girl groups in Las Vegas. He has previously filed for bankruptcy.

Katherine Jackson, 77
    The Jackson matriarch is still a stay-at-home mum and believed to be the only family member in contact with Michael. She has also previously filed for bankruptcy.

Janet Jackson, 41
    The current family breadwinner. She bought her mom a Vegas home in anticipation of losing the family's mansion, Hayvenhurst, to foreclosure. Like their Neverland colleagues, workers at Hayvenhurst have not been paid for months.

La Toya Jackson, 52
    Has little contact with the family after she declared Michael guilty during the 1993 molestation case. She lives with her rich boyfriend in Beverly Hills and earns extra cash judging beauty and singing contests.

Rebbie Jackson, 57
    The oldest, she's married to successful businessman Nathaniel Brown.

Tito Jackson, 55
    Formed a blues band several years ago and plays at small venues for $500 to $1,500 a gig.

Michael Jackson, 49
    On the verge of losing Neverland ranch as well as the family's Encino, Calif., home. He's hiding out in Las Vegas and repeatedly makes promises to his brothers while sabotaging any attempts by them to ply their musical trade.

Gallery: Why they call him Wacko Jacko

Randy Jackson, 46
    Does odd jobs like changing tires to support himself. He was Michael's business manager during the 2005 molestation trial but ran into serious problems with friends after he persuaded three people to take out lines of credits against their homes to help Michael pay his attorney fees and Michael stiffed them.

Marlon Jackson, 51
    Lives in San Diego, where he works stocking groceries at a Vons supermarket. He fell on hard times three years ago when he was forced to leave his foreclosed home and move into an Extended Stay America hotel with his wife, Carol.

Jackie Jackson, 56
    The oldest son started an Internet clothing business and is trying to produce records by his sons. Nothing has panned out.

Jermaine Jackson, 54
    Splits time between the parents' Hayvenhurst mansion and his girlfriend's home in the San Fernando Valley. With more than $5 million in federal, state and other liens against him and a 1995 bankruptcy filing, he doesn't work or have a regular income.

2. naughty

Gold Member

How sad. IT really isnt anything to gloat about. But this is the story of many entertainers. THough they may have had talent it doesnt mean they had the business sense to keep their earnings.

3. mindseye

Gold Member

The original source for this story (even down to the phrasing "sequin-studded" and "seven figure") is this article in the New York Post.

The New York Post is a tabloid that's well-known for its tendency to publish unverified stories (a famous recent example is its 2004 "scoop" that John Kerry had selected Dick Gephardt as his running mate.)

I'd take the article with a grain of salt until it's confirmed in more reputable media.

4. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I have no sympathy for him. Them? Maybe.

5. simcha

Gold Member

OK, so I do kind of feel bad for this family. First, they're from scary Gary, Indiana. It's the Armpit of the Universe. The city is so polluted from its big steel past. When "big steel" went belly up, the town became a haven for gangs and drugs. So, the Jacksons grew up in this toxic stew.

Dad's a real charmer who subjected his children to regular beatings. He's never changed and remains a perpetrator of abuse. Also every member of the clan has all the markers of childhood sexual abuse survivors. These children had anything but a "normal" childhood. They were also subjected to the limelight of the 70's and 80's and that tends to warp personalities.

Now as adults the kids have to take responsibility for their own lives. Some have done better than others. Michael has gone off the deep end and has become a freakishly disfigured child molester who can't manage his life. Janet is doing well musically but she's also doing the plastic surgery thing and looking more and more like her brother every day. The rest of them are dealing with the effects of the abuse in various ways. Some of them are more functional than their more famous siblings. All of them as adults still have the responsibility to take charge of their lives in a way that doesn't harm others and that allows them to develop into actualized individuals.

This is a tall task for people whose childhoods were as crazy as their childhoods were. They simply don't have the resources to do it alone. And few of them will admit that they need professional help in order to develop resources that will allow them to heal because that would force them to deal with the actual pain they have experienced in their lives. So, it's sad and at the same time they don't really deserve pity because they have the same chances as anyone else to take charge of their own lives and to get help.

6. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Michael Jackson is like OJ Simpson. There's no interest here for me, only news about people who have fallen and can't correct themselves or their behaviors and bring other people down with them.

7. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Hopeing I won't be classified as a racist.....I totally agree!

8. naughty

Gold Member

When you have that fear there may be a need to check one's self. I dont think what you are saying makes you a racist. I just think that we all have differing opinions about both of those cases. THere are plenty of black people who think both of the men in question are guilty of what they were being accused of doing.

9. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

unfortunately the racist accusation has shown up here on LPSG when a comparison is made about any two people of color. Annoyingly so without any indication as to who the person is that they are making that accusation. (no I'm not in the Jackson family).

10. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

I have sympathy for them being raised as Jehovah's witnesses and having an abusive father, because I don't know how both parents can co-exist. Witnesses insulate themselves from society and abstain from everything from holidays, the pledge of allegiance, birthdays, school sports, donating blood, etc. For a long time, even college was considered a worldly pursuit. It's a miserable childhood as a Jehovah's witness, couple that with a demanding father pedaling his kids for a meal ticket, you come out a little warped, having a hard time navigating social circles as an adult. Though they were famous, so they already had that hurdle to overcome. I think it's not just the former child star curse thing that is at work - that they were a family of famous children makes it more of a magnet I guess.

Talk about throwing away what you are blessed with though.

11. Chick&2DicksUK

Chick&2DicksUK New Member

The whole list is complete and utter bullshit.

Michael has finally realized that, given his lifestyle and his preference for "young company", it's best not to go around proclaiming your billionaire status.

Are YOU gonna pay a lawyer to pursue, financially, someone that you believe to be in debt?

The same goes for the rest of the family to a lesser degree.

Any could open a supermarket, pose for a magazine, tell their story to a newspaper, have a book or TV mini-series ghost-written.

Hardly what many would consider "normal" employment.

The name, alone, of "Jackson" if one of THE Jacksons is a meal-ticket for many years to come.

Wake up, guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted