Michael Jackson has died according to TMZ..

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I played some of his music in a band during the early 80's, and though his music did not inspire me, I was amazed when I saw a video of one of his shows. A true showman, he always had his audiences spellbound. His death does not affect me, except to bring back memories of the stir he was able to create in his fans and accusers. I don't think I could ever handle all that attention, be it in the form of admiration or condemnation.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, I was calling anyone, you, a fool for defending a molester. Im not fake but Id rather be fake then condon molestation, you make me suspicious as to why you do. Do you have proof im fake? Lets see it. This from someone with no pics.

Please fraud boy, don't pretend you don't remember my gallery, you tried to pull that same trick on me you do with all the other guys that you try and get to send you pictures. * Cybermolester Alert!!!*

I make you suspicious hahaha?!?!? Wow, the most well known fraud on this website is suspicious of me how ironic is that. Projecting perhaps? Are you suspicious of your own self? Living a life behind your computer pretending to be someone else? I would be suspicious too.

You ask for proof (your gallery is enough), hmm, how much proof do you have of the things that you are accusing the great MJ of? Do you know that there are a lot of people here who pity you behind your back? Are you unaware of that? I assume it is like that in your real life too. You aren't too many steps above a child molester.

so no, the impact of his death was not so far superior to that of Cobain in terms of impact

Flashy, I kind of agree with xcuse. You are far overestimating the reach of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's music. If you take a sampling of people from around the globe from different age groups young and old, I would say a very high percentage of them would know who Michael Jackson is. I would also bet that far less than half would have any clue who Nirvana or Kurt Cobain is. I can't name one person I know who doesn't know who Michael Jackson is, and I can probably think of at least a dozen people who have no idea who Kurt Cobain is. It is not even close, particularly on a worldwide scale and when you are including people who grew up well before, or after, grunge hit the scene. Not diminishing Cobain here, just saying that Michael Jackson is in another stratosphere when talking about any type of impact.

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
you sure defend him alot, I hope you dont have children. Your not worth anymore responses

Id still like definitive proof!!! where is it?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flashy, I kind of agree with xcuse. You are far overestimating the reach of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's music. If you take a sampling of people from around the globe from different age groups young and old, I would say a very high percentage of them would know who Michael Jackson is. I would also bet that far less than half would have any clue who Nirvana or Kurt Cobain is. I can't name one person I know who doesn't know who Michael Jackson is, and I can probably think of at least a dozen people who have no idea who Kurt Cobain is. It is not even close, particularly on a worldwide scale and when you are including people who grew up well before, or after, grunge hit the scene. Not diminishing Cobain here, just saying that Michael Jackson is in another stratosphere when talking about any type of impact.

well, with all due respect, skull, you many be far overestimating MJ...most everyone knows who he is, but the majority of people are not impacted by his death at all (that is the case for most everyone when a celebrity dies except for big fans)

as for Michael Jackson and Kurt Cobain and your statistics about how many would know them, that in itself, is rather unknowable...but if that was the case, it would only be because Cobain lived in the spotlight for less than 30 months before he died. Jackson lived in the spotlight for 40 years, not to mention, entertainment value aside, was a rather outlandish outsized personality.

as for the impact we are talking about, i would say that frankly, more people today know who Beyonce is or Jay Z is than Kurt Cobain, but if they dropped dead tomorrow, there impact would not nearly be the same, because they have not created a significant enough artistic impact.

in terms of outsized personality, Jackson is definitely more "global" than Cobain, but the impact of Cobain's death was far greater, because he was at his peak...there was no much more...Jackson, has been irrelevant as an artist for over 15 years now even though he is not irrelevant as a celebrity.

nobody was expecting some great new album from Jackson, wheras Cobain had helped to usher in a new era and people were riding the crest of a wave, then he was gone. there was more of a longing and a sense of unfulfilled potential with Cobain...with Jackson, you just wondered what bizarre thing would happen next, or if his nose would fall off, and that is a sad ending for any icon.

the death of an icon when they are still relevant artistically is always of more impact, because of what is taken when they go.

as much as i enjoy certain Michael Jackson tunes, in terms of artistic musical impact alone, he does not compare at all to Lennon, Elvis or Cobain...

in terms of *entertainer* impact, as i said earlier, he trails only Elvis IMO.

and as i said before, the trauma of the Cobain and Lennon deaths and the impact they left was massive. there were kids committing suicide for god sake when Cobain died...now i am not saying that is something to be proud of or anything, but i do not know how many people will be ending it all over the 2009 version of Jacko. Maybe if he'd passed away right after Thriller i could see it...but now?

anyway, we can debate whether Cobain's death was on the level of impact with Jackson's death and probably not agree.

but there is absolutely no doubt that his untimely death does not compare to Lennon's and Elvis' death in terms of impact on both an artistic and cultural impact level.

that is just my opinion. probably because he was someone that was not really relatable because of his bizarre nature.

also, like it or not, Pop music, even when enjoyable, has never meant as much artistically as rock.

In terms of influence,

Without Elvis, The Beatles, The Who, LEd Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones et. al would never have existed...

without Michael Jackson, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Kanye West and Britney Speares wouldn't have existed.

no contest.

as for Cobain...1000 people a day might pick up a guitar and want to learn it because of him

as for Jackson...1000 people a day might...i don't know...try to do the moonwalk and dance around...but none will pick up a guitar, or a bass or the drums and actually create.

that is just my opinion.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Flashy, Kurt Cobains death only had a big impact on Nirvana fans. It was more concentrated.

MJs death has touched all kinds of demographs because so many have grown up with his music, or just his mere presence in the media. I really don't understand how you do not grasp this obvious point.

In short, Cobains death means jackshit outside of the Rock world.
He is infamous.

MJ is FAMOUS!!!

hung_me

1st Like
Media
Monster you're obviously a product of media bullshit if you can't see an assassination of character for what it is.

You think someone WHOSE CHILD WAS MOLESTED would take 20 million dollars to shut up? Or do you think it's more likely that it was just an attempt to weasel that money out of him?

hung_me

1st Like
Media
And may Michael RIP. He touched a lot of people, broke many barriers and glass ceilings, transcended race and class. He lived and breathed music, and was inarguably the icon of a generation. Just like there will never be another Sinatra, Elvis or Beatles, they'll never be another Michael fucking Jackson.

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media
(Crescendo69 lets out a long Family Guy type sigh)
Hahahaha, wow. I did the family guy sigh about ten seconds before I got to your post. Same wavelength man. Kudos.

Arguably THE most famous man on the planet, quite a shocker. He was, as is often the case, a troubled genius. You can be sure he'll live on in memory and then myth with people like Elvis for a looooooong time.

Honestly, all three of these dead celebrities had great talents which made major contributions to the art of music. I can't tell you how preferences impact which of them is more important than any other, but I can tell you that the art history and musicology world will remember all of them for their unique contributions. It takes only one masterpiece to be considered a master and earn a place in the pantheon of great art. Each of the men being discussed here has accomplished that. Orson Welles was only able to make one great film and yet he's still widely considered one of the most important directors to have ever lived. Stanley Kubrick made numerous films and he's considered just as important. A director you've never heard of is frequently credited with making the greatest film ever made.

Impact and longevity come with time and perspective once all of an artist's influences have been assessed and while Cobain's career was quite short compared to the likes of Lennon and Jackson, he was (and still is) enormously influential by reviving and reworking a genre into something new and different.

The only (non-Diana) death that I have lived through which remotely compares to this is when Elvis passed away. That was very similar and before the internet age yet it was all anyone talked about where ever you went. Signs were out, flags lowered, bumper stickers, T-shirts, and huge crowds of people gathered in Memphis to pay their respects. Lennon's death was more subdued though it did help to make Double Fantasy one of the top-selling records of all time. The streets of New York just do not make for a good place for large crowds to gather and The Dakota is a private building directly on the street with many tenants, not set-back for any kind of privacy. Strawberry Fields is a much better venue for gathering and was a wise idea to keep fans away from The Dakota while allowing them a place to pay their respects, which they still do.

I wouldn't worry about legacy at this point.

hung_me

1st Like
Media
as for Cobain...1000 people a day might pick up a guitar and want to learn it because of him

as for Jackson...1000 people a day might...i don't know...try to do the moonwalk and dance around...but none will pick up a guitar, or a bass or the drums and actually create.

that is just my opinion.

Very well said. Except I disagree with the last part. Just because a 4-octave range and dancing isn't your idea of artistic expression, it doesn't mean it won't inspire somebody to learn music, and do their own thing. And Michael was a well-versed musician of many instruments. I think you grossly underestimate him, and although I agree with the sentiment that perhaps Nirvana or Beatles fans were more personally attached to the music, or the music was of a more destructive persuasion, you present the same logical fallacy that a lot of rock fans do: that pop music inherently lacks artistic integrity and impact.

Michael Jackson has had as big a social impact as The Beatles or Elvis ever did, whether you consider it trends, sales, or music regarding humanity and the human condition. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Yellow Submarine don't have very much artistry to them, but those aren't the songs I look for in the Beatles. If you only cite Billie Jean and Thriller to characterize Michael Jackson's artistry, you're missing out on a very musically and vocally-talented artist.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Honestly I felt no sadness when I heard that Michael died, I felt more sad when I heard that Anna Nicole Smith died.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just heard on the radio that police are looking for MJ's doctor for questioning. They've already searched his car and he supposedly is the only one at the house who can't be found right now.

Looking for the mystery doctor, just like with Elvis. The circus hasn't even started yet. Between the debts, assets, child custody battles, the hidden catalog of 100 songs MJ has left his kids, and this doctor who may have had something to do with MJ's death, we're in for years of aftermath.

Will they misspell his grave marker? Will he be sighted hanging out with Elvis, Princess Diana, Bigfoot, and Cobain? Maybe he's still alive and this was all a staged event and he's winging his way to Dubai right now.

This is going to go on for a long time.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Monster you're obviously a product of media bullshit if you can't see an assassination of character for what it is.

You think someone WHOSE CHILD WAS MOLESTED would take 20 million dollars to shut up? Or do you think it's more likely that it was just an attempt to weasel that money out of him?

It doesn't have to be either or. It could be both parties were guilty. With his top notch lawyers I seriously doubt that they would pay out that kind of dosh if there wasn't strong evidence to be dished up. The allegations were out there anyway so they didn't actually have all that much to lose by going to court.

It's not the only allegations either. I really don't understand why you struggle to grasp the prospect of him having inappropriate feelings towards boys. Seriously, how many clues do you need?
He even built the biggest pedo lair in the world with Neverland!

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Honestly I felt no sadness when I heard that Michael died, I felt more sad when I heard that Anna Nicole Smith died.

With me it was the death of Frances Bavier (Aunt Bee) of the Andy Griffith Show. I still think of her. Maybe it was that she was a perfect icon of a grandmother all these years.