Michael Vick facing prison for animal cruelty?

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Osiris:

Osiris, don't add fuel to a fire set by the detractors who say these artists aren't willing to give back to their communities. 50 Cent and Ludacris had foundations set up to help youngsters in need. You hear about them setting up these organizations and raising money because their pinhead investors (the record companies) and the media would rather focus on the beefs and scandal that occur in hiphop.

OK, I will admit there maybe more who do, but you would be hard pressed to say that it is a majority that do. And I also wonder about the ones that do. Ludacris and 50 Cent have not been involved directly in any criminal activity and that does speak some to their motives.

Osiris:

I gave up on the NAACP a long time ago. They come out of the woodwork whenever a black athlete is in trouble, did they come out to defend Michael Jackson during his legal woes? No, because they know what we all know. How about Isaiah Washington? No, becasue they know he's an arrogant asshole.

It's true the NAACP has been pressing more to make black athletes the new role models. But sports have been the pass for black americans for years; a ticket to get out of the ghettos. Sports is big money and the NAACP knows it so I don't see the NAACP changing their approach. They should've listened to what Charles Barkley said back in the 1990s. He got alot of flack for what he said but he was too honest and made too much sense to folks, parents need to do more to become role models to their own children. I'd rather the NAACP focus on making teachers, scientists and other professionals the role models children should aspire to become not some dickhead who can move a ball, almost anyone can do that. Now, if someone could cure disease...

You are preaching to the choir on this one. Thank you for mentioning Barkley. His exact quote was in a Nike ad:

"I am paid to wage battle on the court. I am not a role model. Teachers and parents should be role models."

The NAACP in it's current form is an entity without a cause so they jump on any cause they can. The NAACP has had some excellent leadership in the last few decade, but that hasn't stopped the regoinal offices from stirring up bad press by jumping on bad causes. This is why Reverend Al Sharpton enjoys the position he does. He is more on the pulse as an individual than the NAACP is as an organization. That is sad.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sure, he may have made bad choices but who hasn't? We all know that he had federal state racketeering charges danging over his head like a sword along with the cruelty and deaths of the dogs but we all know 25 years is along time..

Didn't learn from the first mistake did he?
Yes, 25 is a long time. More incentive not to get involved with illegal harmful activities.
These photos of "It was only a mstake" disgust me.
He knew damn well what he was doing.

He realized his role in society and his color and he knew for certain what our justice system holds for our black men.

His role in society is to be a role model, and a positive contributor to his community.
All he realized is how to make a fast buck.
Our Justice system holds the same for White men as it does Black.
The rules are the same. That's why the lady holding the scale is blindfolded.

The disparity seems to ring true for people of color who fall victim to crime. Four black college students were executed in Newark, NJ with one left for dead but it seems their deaths are no longer front page news because they are of color and their possible killers caught.

Four were executed, one left for dead?
o_0 so...what happened to the other 3?
It's probably because it's OLD NEWS.
I'ts no different than any other event in the news.
"Family of 5 were killed today in a car crash. No survivors - Now onto the Weather! We here that we are going to have a Gorgeous weekend"
News stations are supposed to be Non-biased. The reasoning is to let people make their own emotional grasp of what they hear, not biased one way or another.

Mind you, last week before Vick even entered the courtroom there were protesters carrying signs actually calling for him to be lynched and castrated. What is this the 1960s? Was there a murder commited? A rape? No. It was probably then he realized that he had no chance in the eyes of these people. Even on the Today show the head of PETA couldn't even admit that herself and her organization had made a snap decision before the guilty plea was set in motion. In short, she came to a premature decision with her cronies and set her dogs upon him. Which makes one wonder had Vick been a white professional pro-athlete instead would she have done the same with such ferocity?

She was wise to rally the troops early and make a big stink.
Think about what theyre up against. Money. Lots of it.
Money buys good attorneys and lots of power.
Lots of power means less sentincing, less jail time, less effects.
Making a BIG stink was the best thing they could do, so that this wasn't yesterdays news. Its yesterdays, Todays, and tomorrows.
YES there were Murders. Countless Murders. Deaths of Dogs by Intentional endangerment.
1960? Its been nearly 50 years since the 60's. Many black people have proven themselves to be highly skilled and successful individuals. Many are millionaires, and many sadly still suck on the system, and pull out the race card whereve they deem fit as a Get out of jail free pass.
No deal. Whatever Race you are - you do the crime, you can do the time, and be an example for the next generation.
I like the idea of castrating him. That way stupidity cant reproduce.
Besides, were overdue for a Good Ol Lynching! Grab the kiddies, I'll make the Kettel Corn, and we'll have a bon fire to boot!

Has the value of human life changed on a case by case basis where the victim's/transgressor's race can mean the difference between justice being swift or delayed? It's clear to me most of you animal rights/lovers place a lower value on human life when you can bitch about a rare bird losing its nest due to nearby construction but you don't give a damn about the homeless people you pass on the street everyday. And that really sickens me. No doubt this is the same kind of thinking that allowed Katrina to happen 2 years from now next week. We really have fucked up priorities in America.

Ill agree that the priorities are fucked up in the grand ol USA.
I don't think race has anything to do with it.
I think its a fucked up judicial system that allows high dollar celebs to skate free out of crimes, which only compounds the issues we have.

Im not a NFL watcher. I didnt even know who or what Vic looked like. I heard about it on the radio, and they didnt say "He's a black NFL player".
ALl I had to hear is that somebody was intentionally engaging in an immoral activity and putting animals through hell for personal gain.
Plain and simple.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
His exact quote was in a Nike ad:

"I am paid to wage battle on the court. I am not a role model. Teachers and parents should be role models.

That attitude is part of the reason why we're in as much trouble as we are.

We're all role models, like it or not. Some are more influential than others. When multi-millionaire athletes, highly visible to impressionable young men, shuck off their responsibility to avoid thuggish behavior what they're basically saying is: "I'm too lazy and too self-absorbed to care about the impact of my actions on everyone."

BBB2.5

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well....being in Atlanta, I think Vick is a sad excuse for a man. Let's look at the whole picture. He had it ALL....He was a great quarterback, he had great looks, a fantastic body.....Not to mention money coming out his ass. The fact that he actually had dealings with something that is illegal here in the USA....did y'all get that? ....ILLEGAL. Makes him a disgrace to human race. I hope that this judge gives it to him. He is not a nice judge. While I do not believe he will get much time maybe a year. I am glad that the Falcon have let him go. I hope they are successfully at getting his signing bonus back....can you say $22,000,000. He risked all of that trying to hurt innocent animals. The sad part is that all 54 of the dog that where in his Kennels will have to be destroyed, because he paid someone to train them to be killers. I hope when he gets into prison, a huge guy that is a huge dog lover will turn him into his little bitch.....:mad:

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That attitude is part of the reason why we're in as much trouble as we are.

We're all role models, like it or not. Some are more influential than others. When multi-millionaire athletes, highly visible to impressionable young men, shuck off their responsibility to avoid thuggish behavior what they're basically saying is: "I'm too lazy and too self-absorbed to care about the impact of my actions on everyone."

I see your point, and no athlete should use that statement as an excuse to not care, but who is it that is really putting them there? I mean it seems that sports celebs moreso than any other celeb are expected to be role models. You don't near see this type of role model worsihp in movie celebs or music celebs and there are more there that stand up as role models than in sports.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I mean it seems that sports celebs moreso than any other celeb are expected to be role models. You don't near see this type of role model worsihp in movie celebs or music celebs and there are more there that stand up as role models than in sports.

I hear ya, Osiris. I'm disappointed and annoyed anytime public figures behave like boors. For example, see my thread about Ted Nugent.

I don't expect public figures to be Eagle Scouts. Instead, I ask only that they avoid participating in, celebrating or profiting from thuggish, boorish (or illegal) behavior.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I hear ya, Osiris. I'm disappointed and annoyed anytime public figures behave like boors. For example, see my thread about Ted Nugent.

I don't expect public figures to be Eagle Scouts. Instead, I ask only that they avoid participating in, celebrating or profiting from thuggish, boorish (or illegal) behavior.

The odd irony here is that these athletes that get a ton of money and feel they are above the law usually worship films like Scarface, New Jack City, etc. So film stars who aren't held to the role model standard are shaping the actions of the publicly held role models.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Have you seen his lame ass apology? :mad:

He needs a better script writer, and someone should have coached him on how to look sincere rather than smug and annoyed.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Were you watching a different apology or something? Would you rather he had some bullshit well written speach made by someone else like a lawyer saying a bunch of crap that you know didn't come from him?

That was the most real apology I have ever seen. He didn't have anything written down and went out there and spoke from the heart. When was the last time you have seen something like that? He didn't pretend to be anyone else and I thought he did a tremendous job.

Before anyone continues to judge his apology make sure you watch the entire thing and don't jump to the usual hater-conclusions (yeah right). I had chills watching it.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
HANG ON HANG ON.... everyone keeps evaluating the dogfighting charges and morality thereof....

let's be VERY VERY clear here... the Feds had a ton of other charges lined up... gambling, drugs (if anyone remembers the ORIGINAL reason why they searched the property), intra/inter-state racketeering...the list goes on.

dogfighting is the least of the charges he coulda faced in court, but the worst publicly...

exactly how the feds wanted it to be (less work for them, more pain for him)

let's keep this ALL in mind when we banter about upbringing, culture, poor, white vs black, etc... Vick got off. period end of story.

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, it's good to know he can still feel fear.

I am not a sports fan, and for politeness' sake, I'll leave it at that. It's not a part of the world I choose to settle for. I had no idea of this Michael Vick's existence until I received an email recently from a friend who has 2 beautiful Staffordshires, (one rescued from a pound and bearing the scars of his previous owners' activities with him :mad: ) ...... as with anyone involved in activities like this, be it cockfighting, dogfighting...these are among the lowest forms of human behaviour. I still have a glimmer of hope for this world, to throw in the towel is not an option....but the majority of the human race seriously challenges my serenity every freaking day.

He says he's found Jesus..... If I were Jesus, I'd move and not leave a forwarding address.

Man-thango

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Osiris:
This is why Reverend Al Sharpton enjoys the position he does. He is more on the pulse as an individual than the NAACP is as an organization. That is sad.

Shapton is just an ambulance chaser with a bad perm.

Rikter8:
His role in society is to be a role model, and a positive contributor to his community.
All he realized is how to make a fast buck.

You haven't been listening to me have you? Michael Vick is not a role model. He is an athlete, a teacher or doctor interacts with children more so than he does. You as well as anyone in this country know that. Would you say Bruce Willis is a role model? No, he's a movie star. He works in the entertainment industry. So when the script calls for him to shoot dogs even though it is just a movie would you stop to think "Gosh, what kind of role model is he trying to be to children by doing such a dispicable act?" I don't think so.

Speedoguy:

Does that make Madonna a role model too? She was there at the Live Earth trying to save the earth from further climate change, even wrote and performed a song to with shildren on stage. That should solidify her standing as a role model.

Maybe multi-million dollar athletes are like you: they're just trying to live their life like you are. When they're off the clock they are allowed to act as they would naturally, even if that behavior is erratic. A person is not their occupation. Everyone needs to realize that athletes are not government officials. They do not serve/represent you they entertain you.

Just because they throw around a ball in front of cameras doesn't mean they owe you or your children anything except what is in their job description. People expect too much out of people who are highly visible. We the people should expect more from Dubya but we don't because of his administration and track record.

Osiris:
You don't near see this type of role model worsihp in movie celebs or music celebs and there are more there that stand up as role models than in sports.

Maybe because movie/music stars are considered by the public at large to be morally ambiguous because their occupations. To be a pro athlete was/is akin to being a hero in the eyes of the american people. They are modern gladiators even though they don't risk their lives everyday like firefighters do.

Note: Earlier this month Stephon Marbury tried to be a role model by donating his shoes to a local boy's high school team here in New York but was criticize because he didn't donate shoes to the girl's team. So, the lesson here is no good deed goes unpunished.

Rikter8:
Our Justice system holds the same for White men as it does Black.
The rules are the same. That's why the lady holding the scale is blindfolded.

Where have you been for the last 15 years? You are deluding yourself if you believe the justice system holds the same for both whites and blacks. Let me cite the fact that when a white suspect is apprehended with the same amount of cocaine he faces less time than that of his black counterpart. Being a black suspect in a southern state does not help the situation. Watching Larry King last night an ESPN host made it clear that blacks do not get the same punishment by the justice system and Mark Geragos agreed with him. It is no secret that blacks face a higher incarceration rate even though we are 13% of the population! WTF?!! Maybe I should ask Rikter8 how hard it is to walk around blindfolded to these discrepencies?

Rikter8:
Four were executed, one left for dead?
o_0 so...what happened to the other 3?
It's probably because it's OLD NEWS.
I'ts no different than any other event in the news.

No, it was obvious the government fucked up and failed these 4 young people. They were killed by people who were in the U.S. illegally. The government is suppose to protect its people but allowing suspects who are a threat to the public to walk the streets the government is undermining that responsiblity. The reason why it was swept under the rug is because it is a clear example of how the immigration issue is coming front and center when it comes to law enforcement. Is having neat front lawn more important than keeping sex offenders from diddling your children?

Rikter8:
Whatever Race you are - you do the crime, you can do the time, and be an example for the next generation.
I like the idea of castrating him. That way stupidity cant reproduce.
Besides, were overdue for a Good Ol Lynching! Grab the kiddies, I'll make the Kettel Corn, and we'll have a bon fire to boot!

No problem, lets' start by castrating you first then we can use your skin to rebind the hardcover books and lampshades in my home.

Willy the Wonka:
....but the majority of the human race seriously challenges my serenity every freaking day.

He says he's found Jesus..... If I were Jesus, I'd move and not leave a forwarding address.

Well said.

Eva

Experimental Member
Media
I kept keying into Vick's use of the word "immature" in his apology. He kept saying what he did was "immature." Not that it was vile, wrong, hellish, reprehensible, horrible. Just "immature." As if a 12 year old kid would just do the same thing cos he hasn't matured enough to know not to.

Finding religion is too convenient for my tastes.

And unfortunately, I think he's going to be a giant superstar in prison, not Bubba's little bitch.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I kept keying into Vick's use of the word "immature" in his apology. He kept saying what he did was "immature." Not that it was vile, wrong, hellish, reprehensible, horrible. Just "immature." As if a 12 year old kid would just do the same thing cos he hasn't matured enough to know not to.

You've put your finger on an important point. Many of the so-called "apologies" from politicians or celebrities caught red-handed are really not apologies at all. They're just another diversion, or a veiled denial, or sometimes even a form of further self promotion. Vick's seems to be one of the diversion variety.

The timing is indeed convenient, isn't it? I can't tell what's in Vick's heart. As for anyone, only the future will tell whether a sudden religious awakening is genuine.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

This is what ppisses me off about these celebrity bad cases. Paris Hilton goes on Larry King and tries to declare I've found God. Now Michael Vick professes to have found God. As someone who has faith, this sickens me to my core. If your bad and you want forgiveness, then honestly ask for it. When my little one is bad and he is told to apologize he is also asked "What are you apologizing for?" I truly believe that they don't have any idea what they are apologizing for.

In their minds, they are apologizing for getting caught, not for what they did. I at least have to respect the mob. They are criminal, know they are criminals, and make no apologies for what they do nor do they call God into it when they get caught. Another post prior to this mentioned that we should not lose sight that Vick was charged with gambling and illegal commerce charges. Absolutely correct. He is a dog killer, but he is also an alleged gambler and a convicted felon. Someone else said this is about as sincere as it gets, that is right too, but I hardly think Vick really feels any remorse for what he did, he is trying to play to the media in hopes of getting a break on that $22 Mil he now has to fork back over to the NFL.

If you do the crime, do the time. You want to apologize? Grow a pair and do it sincerely without waving God and Jesus around like some eccumenical get out of jail free card.

OK, stepping off the box now.:soapbox:

Eva

Experimental Member
Media
That ruckus you hear is my applause, Osiris.

I've always thought faith to be a pretty personal thing. I actually wish I had more of it these days, though it tends to ebb and flow so perhaps I'm going to be inundated soon.

In any case, I kinda find it disrespectful to those who are really faithful when people suddenly "find" religion/God/faith/your-term-here. I mean, Osiris, I doubt you had to first commit a reprehensible act to kick-start your faith, right? I don't think that's a prerequisite for the faithful: First, be an asshole. THEN proclaim a newfound faith. Um, perhaps if it was done in the proper order, the assholery would have been avoided altogether. It's not rocket science.

I guess I see just about anyone proclaiming new-found faith after being a jackass as a charlatan. I'd have much more respect for someone who, after doing something wrong and finding faith, simply apologised with sincerity and then continued to live his/her life in a manner that personified the newfound faith, without the need to go tell it on the mountain, as it were. Show, don't tell.

In my opinion, to do otherwise is a disrespect both to the faithful and to the faith the person is claiming to have found.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The man said he was sorry, has found Jesus and will turn his life around for the better........ do I believe this............ HELL! NO!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

And unfortunately, I think he's going to be a giant superstar in prison, not Bubba's little bitch.
I agree. That was a carefully crafted pseudoapology; designed to appease the ignorant masses.

This is what pisses me off about these celebrity bad cases. Paris Hilton goes on Larry King and tries to declare I've found God. Now Michael Vick professes to have found God. As someone who has faith, this sickens me to my core. If your bad and you want forgiveness, then honestly ask for it. When my little one is bad and he is told to apologize he is also asked "What are you apologizing for?" I truly believe that they don't have any idea what they are apologizing for.

In their minds, they are apologizing for getting caught, not for what they did. I at least have to respect the mob. They are criminal, know they are criminals, and make no apologies for what they do nor do they call God into it when they get caught. Another post prior to this mentioned that we should not lose sight that Vick was charged with gambling and illegal commerce charges. Absolutely correct. He is a dog killer, but he is also an alleged gambler and a convicted felon. Someone else said this is about as sincere as it gets, that is right too, but I hardly think Vick really feels any remorse for what he did, he is trying to play to the media in hopes of getting a break on that $22 Mil he now has to fork back over to the NFL.

If you do the crime, do the time. You want to apologize? Grow a pair and do it sincerely without waving God and Jesus around like some eccumenical get out of jail free card.

OK, stepping off the box now.:soapbox:

Sadly, I concur. The man is a bad seed, he didn't just get that way either.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sadly, I concur. The man is a bad seed, he didn't just get that way either.

You are so right he didn't just get that way, he's a product of what he was surrounded by. Most of these young brothers get these millions and they get drunk on wealth. Will Smith I think said in an interview once that if he hadn't had his mother in his ass, he'd have turned out silly. Queen Latifah went on her drug binges and did crazy things, rather than getting on TV and professing a new found faith, she acted and repaired what was wrong. Why? Her mother got in her ass and then helped her.

Yes, Michael Vick was a man (good or bad) who did some pretty bad things, but you have to ask yourself, who helped create him? Mary Shelley's Monster would have been nothing had Dr. Frankenstein not created him. Parents, even friends and associates have a huge hand in what people become. Case in point, Cus Damato and Mike Tyson.

When Cus Damato was Tyson's manager, there were no shenanigans. Damato and his wife were mentors and parents to Tyson. The minute Cus died and Don King got his hooks into him, it all went south. You all may remember Mrs. Damato. She was the frail woman with a walker that Tyson helped down the steps everyday from court during his rape trial.

Most of these guys in pro sports come from pretty humble starts, especailly a lot of black players. Suddenly going from no pot to piss in to 8 bathrooms in your house can really mess with a person.

Me being the positive one, I would like to think Vick was a good boy gone bad man.

So NJQT, yeah, he is a bad tree, but he started a pretty good seed... I hope.

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
stick michael vick in his own Dog rape cage !!!! sines he had a Dog rape cage in his back yard and like seeing dogs being raped so he shound have the same thing happen to him and goto jail for a long time!!!