Michelangelo: Lover of the Male Body

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Michelangelo was born over 500 years ago, 1475. Renaissance painter, sculptor, architect, poet.

He was a homosexually-inclined man who loved the male form which is apparent in so many of his frescoes.

Here's the "Creation of Adam". Click the link below, give it a second to load, then click onto the picture -- then expand the painting to full screen:

Web Gallery of Art, image collection, virtual museum, searchable database of European fine arts (1000-1850)

Notice the beautiful musculature of this Adam. Yes, the dick is small, but that's only because it was considered in bad taste to show a large, gawky penis on religious figures.

This next is the "Fall of Man": Adam and Eve, on the left, are being tempted by the serpent in the Garden, and then, on the right, they are being expelled from Paradise:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Michelangelo_S%C3%BCndenfall.jpg

Eve looks a bit chunky to me; that's probably due to our modern attitudes toward and perceptions of the female body. But Adam looks just right (he, in fact, looks like a great lay).

And, of course, Michelangelo's sculpture "David", another image you can click and supersize (you may have to click twice). Notice the dangling hand and the feet if you enlarge -- the tendons in the hand and individual toes -- they are perfection. Sculpted in marble:

File:Michelangelos David.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Michelangelo was born over 500 years ago, 1475. Renaissance painter, sculptor, architect, poet.

He was a homosexually-inclined man who loved the male form which is apparent in so many of his frescoes.

Here's the "Creation of Adam". Click the link below, give it a second to load, then click onto the picture -- then expand the painting to full screen:

Web Gallery of Art, image collection, virtual museum, searchable database of European fine arts (1000-1850)

Notice the beautiful musculature of this Adam. Yes, the dick is small, but that's only because it was considered in bad taste to show a large, gawky penis on religious figures.

This next is the "Fall of Man": Adam and Eve, on the left, are being tempted by the serpent in the Garden, and then, on the right, they are being expelled from Paradise:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Michelangelo_Sündenfall.jpg

Eve looks a bit chunky to me; that's probably due to our modern attitudes toward and perceptions of the female body. But Adam looks just right (he, in fact, looks like a great lay).

And, of course, Michelangelo's sculpture "David", another image you can click and supersize (you may have to click twice). Notice the dangling hand and the feet if you enlarge -- the tendons in the hand and individual toes -- they are perfection. Sculpted in marble:

File:Michelangelos David.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pearls before swine. Their only value is monetary. May as well demolish them and put in a pop-up store.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
I'm already veering off topic here.

Here are a few other male nudes, not Michelangelo's.

Jacques-Louis David: "Petroclus", 1780 (click on to all images for fuller size):

St. Sebastian, like Adam and Jesus, always presented an oppoortunity to display a male nude:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/ff/SaraceniSebastian.jpg

reniSebastian.jpg (image)

Here's a modern St. Sebastian: karalla.jpg (image)

Last edited:

Pieta is my personal fave M'angelo. I find David rather ugly.

David ugly? Which David? David the sculpture of Michelangelo's or (the style of) David the painter? I love David the painter. He's up there with Gericault and Delacroix in my esteem.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Michaelangelo portrayed women shaped just like men, but with breasts, as did the ancient Greeks. The faces were also indistinguishable.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
I remember seeing it in Firenze, very nice, great artist. Especially his sculptures.

And funny fact for who is always busy with things that could show that a man is well endowed. If you watch at the hands of David, you see they are big... but then look at his dick :wink: :rolleyes:

There's a statue of David (naked) outside Lewis' store in Liverpool, affectionately known as 'Dicky Lewis'. :wink:

Just saying. :tongue:

Psst, it was a joke :wink:
Why do you think they chopped off so many sculptures their penises and put a leaf in the place

Pope Paul IV banned genitalia in art and debates over fig leafs and drapery continued for ages. It's horrible. If you want to blame one guy though, go after Cardinal Carafa. As you can read, Michelangelo got the last laugh.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Pope Paul IV banned genitalia in art and debates over fig leafs and drapery continued for ages. It's horrible. If you want to blame one guy though, go after Cardinal Carafa. As you can read, Michelangelo got the last laugh.

Are you sure?
Carafa's rage did not diminish and, following the death of both Michelangelo and Pope Julius II, ordered the genitalia in the fresco to be covered by the artist Daniele da Volterra, one of Michelangelo's lesser pupils, whom history remembers by the derogatory nickname "Il Braghettone" ("the breeches-painter").

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
David ugly? Which David? David the sculpture of Michelangelo's or (the style of) David the painter? I love David the painter. He's up there with Gericault and Delacroix in my esteem.

Pretentious! Moi? :biggrin1:

Now, your painter David. Remarkably technically accomplished, striking and dramatic, but a little overly romantic politically. No wonder you like him :tongue:.

Are you sure?
Carafa's rage did not diminish and, following the death of both Michelangelo and Pope Julius II, ordered the genitalia in the fresco to be covered by the artist Daniele da Volterra, one of Michelangelo's lesser pupils, whom history remembers by the derogatory nickname "Il Braghettone" ("the breeches-painter").

Yup. Carafa's gone and forgotten but Michelangelo is still a household name. And while many of the fig leaves and drapery have been removed from where they shouldn't have been in the first place, Michelangelo's portrait of Carafa is visible for all the world to see and by a quarter million people every year. See the guy in this picture with the ears of an ass and getting bitten in the 'nads by a snake? That's a portrait of Cardinal Carafa portraying Minos, the judge of Hell.

Pretentious! Moi? :biggrin1:

Now, your painter David. Remarkably technically accomplished, striking and dramatic, but a little overly romantic politically. No wonder you like him :tongue:.

I didn't say you are. I said your stove is.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
See the guy in this picture with the ears of an ass and getting bitten in the 'nads by a snake? That's a portrait of Cardinal Carafa portraying Minos, the judge of Hell.

And in the first recorded fine-art depiction of man-boobs, to boot.