Michele Bachmann

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bachmann was surprisingly articulate and polished during tonight's debate. I have no idea what the deal is with her campaign staff, but kudos! She obviously has a David Axelrod-esque "kingmaker" in the mix, because the whole presentation - speech pattern, hand gestures, and language - made for quite a palatable figure.

B_jdunhill

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was floored, as an outsider looking in and really hoping for some fun trainwreck action, other than Obamneycare there was nothing. I was happy to see at least finally, there is SOMEONE that can render mizz palin irrelevant, however Dana Lash was on CNN and she used the term 'Kingmaker' as palins new monicker. Scary all the same. Michelle did better than I have ever seen. She's Nobama though :)

grumpyguy

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
She said she would let the states do what they want in terms of gay marriage. Right after that, she said she would support a constitutional ammendment to make gay marriage illegal. Articulate, maybe, but still an idiot.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was floored, as an outsider looking in and really hoping for some fun trainwreck action, other than Obamneycare there was nothing. I was happy to see at least finally, there is SOMEONE that can render mizz palin irrelevant, however Dana Lash was on CNN and she used the term 'Kingmaker' as palins new monicker. Scary all the same. Michelle did better than I have ever seen. She's Nobama though :)

So Canadians can be news/pol junkies as well, eh. :smile:

I missed most of the postmortem. Palin is certainly a personality and a newsmaker, however, I'm not sold on the "kingmaker" aspect of her political power - yet. Whether she becomes that figure or not feels years off and really hinges on jobs and economic recovery, Imo.

Agreed, I was expecting more of a train wreck myself, but must give praise when due, Bachmann made a strong showing. I think Obama will still win in 2012, but Bachmann is officially going on my political radar.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She said she would let the states do what they want in terms of gay marriage. Right after that, she said she would support a constitutional ammendment to make gay marriage illegal. Articulate, maybe, but still an idiot.
I think she clarified that she would like an amendment, but would not interfere where states had already passed legislation out of respect for state's rights. That was a pretty fast and furious period, so I could be wrong.

I'm personally looking forward to her abolition of the death penalty, as she indicated a commitment to protect the right of Americans to a "natural end of life." :smile:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
One night of speaking in complete sentences during a convention does not nullify her long record of historical and exceedingly partisan blunders. I can never see myself supporting Bachmann in any shape or form.

B_jdunhill

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
One night of speaking in complete sentences during a convention does not nullify her long record of historical and exceedingly partisan blunders. I can never see myself supporting Bachmann in any shape or form.

Of course not. You have always appeared clever and able to reason. And may I suspect probably breathing through BOTH your nose and mouth, not one exclusively...with gum and/or tobacco and/or some straw. Shouting birth certificate!! with teabags swinging vigorously from your 'town crier' hat.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
Bachmann was surprisingly articulate and polished during tonight's debate. I have no idea what the deal is with her campaign staff, but kudos! She obviously has a David Axelrod-esque "kingmaker" in the mix, because the whole presentation - speech pattern, hand gestures, and language - made for quite a palatable figure.
Bull..............................They would to have had to rip her vocal cords out.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Romney was sharp, too.

Bachmann almost seems reborn, she's completely overhauled her demeanor and raised the bar.
Agreed. Kevin Drum's take:
The winners were Mitt Romney and Michele Bachmann and the losers were Newt Gingrich and Tim Pawlenty... Bachmann, alone of the candidates, occasionally gave genuinely interesting replies that drew on specific knowledge she has from her service in Congress. Her replies were clear, easily understandable, and she avoided sounding crazy. In fact, she often seemed like the best briefed candidate on the stage. Romney, Bachmann Big Winners in GOP Debate Tonight | Mother Jones

My post was not an endorsement, rather an acknowledgement of her growth as an American political figure. Whatever your, or even my, personal view, Bachmann clearly distinguished herself as a candidate last night.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My post was not an endorsement, rather an acknowledgement of her growth as an American political figure. Whatever your, or even my, personal view, Bachmann clearly distinguished herself as a candidate last night.

I know that. My comments come off somewhat sarcastic (as usual), but despite showing her growth as a political figure or as a potential presidential candidate during one convention it looks like it's more about posturing and not substance. She's still one of the most polarizing figures in politics today whose made some grave errors when talking about our nation's history and political policies. We could easily go down the list, although for the sake of this thread I don't think it's necessary to turn this into another shrine of "Bachmann Quotes". It's good that she can go on a public stage and not look or sound crazy... but I don't think it's going to be enough to get her to the White House at all.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know that. My comments come off somewhat sarcastic (as usual), but despite showing her growth as a political figure or as a potential presidential candidate during one convention it looks like it's more about posturing and not substance. She's still one of the most polarizing figures in politics today whose made some grave errors when talking about our nation's history and political policies. We could easily go down the list, although for the sake of this thread I don't think it's necessary to turn this into another shrine of "Bachmann Quotes". It's good that she can go on a public stage and not look or sound crazy... but I don't think it's going to be enough to get her to the White House at all.
As someone who follows politics, I am well aware of Bachmann. Further, I agree she is a polarizing political figure who regularly engages in "us vs. them" speak that is creating an unbridgeable political gulf in the United States.

However, in terms of the debate, if she continues in this manner, I could certainly see her as a running mate - if not now, in the future.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Agreed. Kevin Drum's take:
The winners were Mitt Romney and Michele Bachmann and the losers were Newt Gingrich and Tim Pawlenty... Bachmann, alone of the candidates, occasionally gave genuinely interesting replies that drew on specific knowledge she has from her service in Congress. Her replies were clear, easily understandable, and she avoided sounding crazy. In fact, she often seemed like the best briefed candidate on the stage. Romney, Bachmann Big Winners in GOP Debate Tonight | Mother Jones

This was Pawlenty's grand entrance to the american public; I think his strategy was simply not to make waves or be controversial.

He will get MUCH more impressive as time moves on in this campaign; the guy has a helluva track record and he's very intelligent. IMO it will either be he or Romney that ultimately gets the nomination. Pawlenty is pretty moderate too, I'm just afraid he will get labeled as somebody that panders to the ultra wealthy due to his tax plan (no estate tax, lower tax rates) but if you actually take time to learn his tax plan - it is compelling with relation to new jobs and eliminating debt long term for the U.S.