Michelle Bachmann $2 gas

snakembl14

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
"Under President Bachmann you will see gasoline come down below $2 a gallon again," Bachmann told a crowd Tuesday in South Carolina. "That will happen."

Wow...just wow. If we had 2 dollar gas, that would mean that the world economy just took a MAJOR dive to drop off demand that much. This would be the worst possible thing you could want right now...$2 gas. The only way would be for the government to subsidies gas to lower the cost to the consumer, but that would impy the government had spare money.

Besides that fact that the president can do little about gasoline supply and demand which drives prices.

So basically Bachmann, if elected President, promises to tank the world economy.

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
I suppose the idea would be to pick up where Obama leaves off!

actually tho you can do that very easily if you produce the oil from your own country instead of buying it elsewhere...
do you know what Gas costs in Venuzeala or Iraq...

snakembl14

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

actually tho you can do that very easily if you produce the oil from your own country instead of buying it elsewhere...

Well that would imply that we have huge oil reserves here in the US (compared to the world)...or that you could actually increase production here in the US enough to affect the world supply in 4 years. Most estimates place infrastrustrue for domestic drilling around 10 years before it would impact anything.

Besides, OPEC would drop production if we increased ours to keep prices constant.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
God Damn! I'm voting fer that Micheal Backman fella. I'll be able to use the Hummer as my daily driver again! yeehaw!

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So she has the oil companies in her pocket? They'll agree to lower gas prices upon her inauguration, with a slow rise in prices back up to 4 buck territory. Only to drop prices again come the next election time.

That's how it works, right?

Horrible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If anyone can remember, 3,3.5 years ago, the economy was stronger, and gas was in the 1.80$ range. Bachmann says some crazy things, but this is not one of them. And if gas prices go down, so will the cost of a lot more things in turn. Without causing a collapse in the world economy.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If anyone can remember, 3,3.5 years ago, the economy was stronger, and gas was in the 1.80$ range. Bachmann says some crazy things, but this is not one of them. And if gas prices go down, so will the cost of a lot more things in turn. Without causing a collapse in the world economy.

Gas prices plummeted to that level only after the Lehman Brothers debacle led to a worldwide financial meltdown. Don't let the facts get in your way!

Check out, say, the four year history here. And note the decline occurred after the financial crisis was well underway.

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx

Last edited:

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Except that taxing gas is an excellent way to raise money, and discouraging wastage of fuel is a brilliant way to improve economic efficiency. Fuel will inevitably become more expensive. It is only its rising value which makes exploitation of more difficult reserves profitable, which provides for the ever increasing demand. Weaning your country off cheap fuel by pushing up the price is a very good way of preparing for the inevitable. So not only is it undeliverable, its also nuts.

snakembl14

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Gas was had a high of 4.05 leading up to the crash, where it dipped down to that level sometime after the crash. The economy was NOT strong/stronger when gas was at the 1.80 range.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Which presidential candidate is promising European price levels for gas? $10 a gallon would bring the USA into line with Europe and be a way of tackling that run-away deficit. And it would demonstrate a proper committment to reducing carbon emissions.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Which presidential candidate is promising European price levels for gas? $10 a gallon would bring the USA into line with Europe and be a way of tackling that run-away deficit. And it would demonstrate a proper committment to reducing carbon emissions.

You may want to think twice before applying for that campaign advisor job. :wink:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Dumbfounded. Venezuela HEAVILY subsidizes their gas prices- and I'm not quite sure of the Iraqi situation, but I'm guessing they do too. Besides, why would you want to emulate those two hell holes?

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ha ha. Maybe she will also make pi equal to 3, in accordance with biblical principles.

By the way, Representative Bachmann's first name is spelled "Michele," not "Michelle."

Horrible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ha ha. Maybe she will also make pi equal to 3, in accordance with biblical principles.

By the way, Representative Bachmann's first name is spelled "Michele," not "Michelle."

Reminds me of a story about a governor? Passing that into law somewhere. Did not end well.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
Fuel prices dropping a la Bachmann is pure fantasy. Living proof that this one will say anything to get elected. Unless big oil is put back under price regulation there is no way that it can happen.

Many of the state governments right now are actually stating that their economic shortfalls are the result of fuel prices going down. They of course were collecting all the sales taxes on fuel at it's peak and they as bureaucrats always do count on spending every dime they always get and that is both GOP and Dems.

I want to see prices back down like everyone else. It is going to however take major legislative change to make it happen. The other thing is that tax revenue in a horribly volatile market such as fuel where prices can rise or drop substantially within hours is a really idiotic place to count one's chickens before they are hatched.

One thing that will be interesting will be the commercials that the Dems are going to be running. Never have so many created so much fodder for their opponents! The one thing we are guaranteed before this is over is a great deal of laughter when it all comes back to haunt.

Horrible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Gas prices plummeted to that level only after the Lehman Brothers debacle led to a worldwide financial meltdown. Don't let the facts get in your way!

Check out, say, the four year history here. And note the decline occurred after the financial crisis was well underway.

Gas Price Historical Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

I forgot about that peak from mid 06 to mid 07, thank you for bringing it to my attention. You see, I was still on active duty at that time, and had no reason at all to be buying gas, so at that time, I was not paying attention at all to the current fuel prices.

That being said, it does not refute the fact that gasoline was around half of what it is now, and it continues to rise.

Here is a chart for anyone who is more of a visual person.

Gasoline Price History