Mickey Mouse Manages Mass Media

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And now for something that isn’t your usual foaming of the mouths between the Hatfields & the McCoys on the Politics Forums.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the sudden increase of entertainment media influence from Walt Disney Productions lately? The amount of movies, advertising and music acts they’ve been pushing to the public these last few years are a lot higher than usual. Just recently I came from the Quad Theater in New York where they only show independent films. Before the feature came on (which by the way was an excellent drama called ‘Gospel Hill’ if you find yourself looking for a movie to watch one day), a trailer for a new film surrounding World War II came up. Could be interesting, right?

Then I heard in the monologue about how it was a movie based on Walt Disney and his trip to South America to try and win allies for the war. OK, a rather interesting “independent film” about one of our media giants. I guess it could be intriguing to see a different take on this moment of history.

The title appeared… it was called “Walt & El Grupo”. The credits appeared and you saw that the movie was actually produced, created and distributed by the Walt Disney Family Corporation. WTF? That almost made me a little sick to my stomach.

It’s not enough that we’ve been bombarded with so much Disney product in music, television & film during a time when we’re supposed to be having a recession. But have we come full circle when media corporations as influential and powerful as Walt Disney start to promote and position themselves as independent filmmakers to bring forth some kind of politically charged message? Does anyone else find this latest move a bit peculiar?

Also, for today's tongue twister say the thread title 10 times really fast. :biggrin:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
just a minor aside: The Walt Disney Family Corporation is independent of the Disney media giant.

Point taken, and I did consider that. But seeing the trailer of this new flick just didn't settle with me too well.

I mean, it's not as if Disney is ineligible of making documentaries. They did an interesting one with James Cameron in regards to the Titanic called "Ghosts Of The Abyss" in 2003. This new one is rather politically charged, and I always tend to get skeptical when one of the most well known media entities tries to venture into that territory. Yeah, I know it's a bit silly to be talking about this but we needed SOMETHING on this board that was different than the usual "lib vs. conservative" rants of the last few months.