Might be Moving

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_boynextdoorkpt, Apr 29, 2008.

1. B_boynextdoorkpt

B_boynextdoorkpt New Member

My mom told me this morning that we might be moving this summer to Dallas. Dad has got an offer to head up a Radiologist practice there. We would be living in Highland Park, this is sort of unsettleing to me, I have never been to Dallas, any members live there and can tell me its a great place?

2. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

One good thing, bnd. Dallas is far less susceptible to tsunamis.

3. SteveHd

Gold Member

If you're 18 or over, you can stay in Greater Charleston if you so desire.

4. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

I lived in Highland Park for a few years when I was younger. If you are rich, you will fit right in. If you are not, or hate snobbish people, you might not like it. We had to move back to our old town because it was so unpleasant. But, the area is gorgeous. Also, you might check out Frisco or Southlake. They are the newer Highland Park, younger families and just as nice an area.

Highland Park is the Beverly Hills of Texas, in fact, it's home to the first outdoor shopping center in the country. Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills was modeled after it. I do work at that shopping center every Christmas. If you move there and visit the shopping center during the holidays, you will know exactly what I do.:smile:

5. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    No worries young man about moving to Dallas.
    I was raised in New York (country house upstate and five floor townhouse in the city) and went to school in Boston and L.A.
    When I got engaged and planned on moving to the DFW area, I was like "OMG. You have GOT to be kidding me."
    But once there, and getting to know the area I actually enjoyed it. There is no end of things to do and enjoy and you strike me as a perceptive and social person and will have no trouble making friends and fitting in just where you would like. But I do understand and relate to the initial distress at the thought of actually living in Dallas. lol.
    You will do very well! No worries.

6. ballsaplenty2156

ballsaplenty2156 New Member

Mr. Hardcock.....are you one of Santa's Elves? :tongue:
    My oldest brother lives in Garland. I was there for a visit about 3 years ago. It was hot and dry. The people seemed pretty nice though.

7. B_boynextdoorkpt

We are flying to Dallas this weekend to look at houses, we are keeping the beach house here in Isle of Palms. Mom loves Highland Park, her college roomate lives there. The house we are looking at is on Beverly Drive.
    Landon

8. Freddie53

Gold Member

I have never lived in Dallas. But I do live about five hours away. One thing I like about Dallas is the layout of it and the Forth Worth area. Most of the main roads are straight north and south or east and west. There aren't as many dead ins so it is easy to navigate in unfamiliar areas.

It will be cultural shock to you. The beach culture and Dallas culture will be very different from each other. From what I can tell the beach along the Texas shoreline isn't pristine like the one your are used to. OK but doesn't compare to Florida's Panama City.

You will be a long way from Uof V. The flight trip will be several hours and if layovers, could be a day's travel.

Gee, it would be great to meet you, I haven't been to Dallas in several years so I don't think our chances of meeting each other will have improved that much.

9. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Yes, LOL. And for crotchety snobs too.:mad:

Some do appreciate what we do, especially the kids. But I'd bet most of the adults don't give a fuck.

Oh well, the pay for doing that is un-befucking-lieveable!:biggrin1:

I know where that is.

10. MH07

MH07 Member

Albums:

Beverly Drive is one of the nicest streets in TEXAS, not just Dallas. Highland Park is lovely. It is very snobbish, mainly because it's by far the richest and nicest area in Dallas. (With respect to the prior poster, there IS also River Oaks Blvd. in Houston!).

I lived in Dallas for 20 years. If you can't find something to do in Dallas, you're not trying. It's a GREAT place to live and grow up.

11. tvilleguy70

tvilleguy70 New Member

Albums:
    i grew up in West Texas....Dalls was always a GREAT escape for me.....have fun!

12. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hey, if you are in college and plan to switch, my suggestion is to apply to UT Austin. Now that is a cool town. A lot of my family live there and like it a lot.
    Dave

13. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Well the West End has gone to shit, pretty much deserted, and Deep Ellum and lower Greenville are good placed to get mugged, shot, or your ass kicked these days.

We do have The House Of Blues now which is turning into a HUGE attraction. Apparently it's the best one yet.

14. camchain

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Just Like To Say, Have a Pleasent Flight, And Stay Safe.
    Good Luck With Everything, Hope it Goes Well, And Have a Nice Time.

15. B_boynextdoorkpt

Thank God above, we are not moving to Dallas. Staying in SC!!!!!!!!!!
    Landon

16. PWRSTRK

PWRSTRK Member

Landon -- what happened to the move?

17. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

dude - are you in college and dependent on your parents for tuition, etc? Do you have to move w/ them?

18. D_somebodyswatchingme

D_somebodyswatchingme Account Disabled

Dallas is great for school and with property tax and housing been really afforable these days,you can't miss out.

Also plenty things to do.Plenty places to chill and have fun at. Girls and guys your age group are really overdeveloped(no Pedo):eek:

You'll have a blast :biggrin1:

19. transformer_99

Gold Member

Only downside to the move that I see is that you may have to convert and cheer for the Cowboys. There's even an upside to that, they hoave good looking cheerleaders.

Draft saved Draft deleted