Migraine Misery - Any other sufferers

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Last night I had a migraine. It's not the first, but it was the worst one in about 3 years. After tearing my apartment apart, I realized I was out of Relpax. :mad: :eek:

There are many types of migraines. Last night I had the worst kind for me, the one that hits you right between the eyes like a baseball bat, then throbs, and pulsates; and like a spidery hand reaches back over your skull.
The other type of migraine, the kind I can sometimes ride out with home remedies or prescription meds is the one that feels like my brain stem is throbbing.

When I was in grad school a friend gave me a great home remedy for migraines Coca~Cola and aspirin. Not Pepsi not Advil, don't know why it works but it does. I think it has something to do with the vasoconstrictors.

Anyway, from about 8:30 PM until maybe 2 AM I was in absolute abject misery complete with intense nausea. Finally vomited around 2 :15 AM and it was so horrifically intense I woke my upstairs neighbor. I know it's gross but I swear I threw up food from last week, I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head and almost 12 hours later I still have a sore throat from wretching. I feel better now but am still kinda weak.

So I'm curious, who else has migraines, what do you take and how do you manage them?

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I get exreme dizzy spells from eye strain, traveling, etc. Unable to stand, extreme pain and sensitivity to light, and constant vomiting in waves. The only way I can stop it is to take Phenergan, a muscle relaxer suppository that eventually puts me to sleep. Unfortunately it is a prescription drug, so if I run out I am in deep s--t (or deep puke). Sorry I have no home remedy for you.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Plenty of caffeine, 4 or 5 aspirin, and rest. When the migraine gets to its worst point, I get under lots of covers. Usually 30 or 45 minutes of lying there sweating will cause the pain to break.

I used to do that. Since I started taking Sam-E last year I haven't had a migraine and most of the arthritic pain I had is gone.

KYJenni

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I used to suffer with them really badly, tried cutting all kinds of foods out, cheese and red wine never used to help and neither did stress. Finally managed to work out it was down to my birth control pill. I cut them out and voila I haven't had a migraine in years.

As for managing them, I learnt relaxation techniques, took magnesium supplements as they are meant to balance levels which sometimes cause migraines (look it up on the net) and also migraine medication which I think is specific to the UK so no point in telling you which one!

Hope you manage to get them under control x

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I thought i was gonna have a migraine last night. I thought i felt an aura coming on. Turns out it was something else, and i spent most of the night (and a large portion of morning)in the bathroom, sitting on the toilet and loosing my dinner from the opposite end of things. Still got a headache, but most definitely not a migraine.

When i DO get a migraine the only thing that has ever worked for me is Compazine. That, and near-total darkness, cool temps, and near-total silence. I say near-total because if it's totally dark and totally silent i can SEE and HEAR my migraine and it just makes things worse. If there is just a wee little bit of light, and a wee little bit of white noise, i'm all good.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been through it all - home remedies, some pharmaceuticals, food challenge, stress-management classes, headache clinics, neurologists.

The latest thing they tried, about 3 months ago, was Botox injections. He did about 15 injections across my hairline in the front, and about 8 injections at the back of my head. Shit, that was an unpleasant experience, I cannot imagine anyone vain enough to go through something like that to get rid of a few wrinkles. Anyway, it didn't help.

Since 1986 when I first started getting migraines/cluster headaches, only one thing has been consistently and thoroughly effective - oxycodone. Unfortunately, the doctors really HATE prescribing it, and my doctor cut me off. He wants to go back through the veritable pharmacopia of shit I've used (to no good effect) in the past.

So, for about the last 10 months, my frequent migraines go pretty much untreated. No fun at all.

And those who have never had a migraine just simply do not understand. The only way I can describe it is "it's like an ice cream headache or brain freeze that doesn't go away for hours and hours."

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
NJ, I know your pain. I was involved in an automobile accident and suffer from migraines as a result of it. I take a number of prescriptions daily to help ensure I do not have a migraine, however, it is almost inevitable that I get one at least twice a month, if not more.

My medications include Topamax, Midrin, Zomig, Paxil, Phenergan and when they are absolutely intolerable, Oxycodone. I have also had to have shots for them. In addition to this therapy, I am still receiving shot injections in my neck (6 per visit) every month.

When I have a migraine, I find myself searching for absolute darkness and NO sound. I turn off all phones or "noise-makers" and usually do not tolerate any smells very well. I am extremely sensitive. I find, though, when I vomit (I know it sounds disgusting) I generally feel a little better. Those are signs that it is finally subsiding, somewhat. And, to be completely honest... I would say the later remedy is not for migraines but rather cluster or chonic headaches...

My migraines have lasted from 3 hours to a several days. I have been hospitalized for them and they are completely debilitating. After I have suffered from one, it takes a couple days to recouperate as I am left physically fatigued and exhausted.

Home remedies... watch your intake of caffiene, chocolate... get plenty of rest adn drink lots of water. If you do not have prescription medication, you can take 800 mg of Iburopen and an 1 Excedrin (I have done this) - you may want to consult a physician before prescribing to this remedy; however, it only works for those migraines that are not as intense.

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Last night I had a migraine. It's not the first, but it was the worst one in about 3 years. After tearing my apartment apart, I realized I was out of Relpax. :mad: :eek:

There are many types of migraines. Last night I had the worst kind for me, the one that hits you right between the eyes like a baseball bat, then throbs, and pulsates; and like a spidery hand reaches back over your skull.
The other type of migraine, the kind I can sometimes ride out with home remedies or prescription meds is the one that feels like my brain stem is throbbing.

When I was in grad school a friend gave me a great home remedy for migraines Coca~Cola and aspirin. Not Pepsi not Advil, don't know why it works but it does. I think it has something to do with the vasoconstrictors.

Argh! Fellow sufferer here - I feel for you!

Just a suggestion/explanation: The reason why Coca-Cola may help (also why it's specifically Coke and not Pepsi) is because your blood sugar levels have dropped (hypogycaemic too) and the Coke helps to elevate it. I suggest that once you feel able to eat something that you have a fruit (though not tropical as they too are fast sugars) or dairy, protein etc. which will then help stabilise your sugar levels.

Anyway, from about 8:30 PM until maybe 2 AM I was in absolute abject misery complete with intense nausea. Finally vomited around 2 :15 AM and it was so horrifically intense I woke my upstairs neighbor. I know it's gross but I swear I threw up food from last week, I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head and almost 12 hours later I still have a sore throat from wretching. I feel better now but am still kinda weak.

So I'm curious, who else has migraines, what do you take and how do you manage them?

I also suffer from the abovementioned migraine on occasion. I have found that taking a cold shower or lying naked under a cool, damp sheet as well as massaging the webs between my thumb and forefingers helps. Try to avoid strong scents - perfumes, aromatherapy oils etc as they make it worse. As much as I try to avoid taking non natural medicines, I have found that as soon as I start having "angel vision" things look blurry and I see flashing lights, taking a regular aspirin stops it in it's tracks.

I hope that you find something that helps prevent you from clawing the ceiling from pain!

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Argh! Fellow sufferer here - I feel for you!

Just a suggestion/explanation: The reason why Coca-Cola may help (also why it's specifically Coke and not Pepsi) is because your blood sugar levels have dropped (hypogycaemic too) and the Coke helps to elevate it. I suggest that once you feel able to eat something that you have a fruit (though not tropical as they too are fast sugars) or dairy, protein etc. which will then help stabilise your sugar levels.

I also suffer from the abovementioned migraine on occasion. I have found that taking a cold shower or lying naked under a cool, damp sheet as well as massaging the webs between my thumb and forefingers helps. Try to avoid strong scents - perfumes, aromatherapy oils etc as they make it worse. As much as I try to avoid taking non natural medicines, I have found that as soon as I start having "angel vision" things look blurry and I see flashing lights, taking a regular aspirin stops it in it's tracks.

I hope that you find something that helps prevent you from clawing the ceiling in pain!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>
My medications include Topamax, Midrin, Zomig, Paxil, Phenergan and when they are absolutely intolerable, Oxycodone. I have also had to have shots for them. In addition to this therapy, I am still receiving shot injections in my neck (6 per visit) every month.
One of my neurologists was big into using the anticonvulsants. Topamax gave me horrible night sweats, I mean really severe. Depakote gave me reflux so severe I had to be upright at all times. I couldn't lie down to go to sleep.

When I had some heated discussions with that doctor, he insisted that we continue with the anticonvulsants. I changed doctors. The next one was big on using antidepressants. Paxil made me grind my teeth at night. Several molars ended up broken. By the time I get them all fixed, my dental work bill for that little incident will amount to about $12,000.

Midrin worked wonders for me, for about 2 years, then it did nothing. Still, the only really effective treatment for my headaches, when I get them, is oxycodone. I've never been prescribed phenergan, demerol, or Stadol.

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
One of my neurologists was big into using the anticonvulsants. Topamax gave me horrible night sweats, I mean really severe. Depakote gave me reflux so severe I had to be upright at all times. I couldn't lie down to go to sleep.

When I had some heated discussions with that doctor, he insisted that we continue with the anticonvulsants. I changed doctors. The next one was big on using antidepressants. Paxil made me grind my teeth at night. Several molars ended up broken. By the time I get them all fixed, my dental work bill for that little incident will amount to about $12,000.

Midrin worked wonders for me, for about 2 years, then it did nothing. Still, the only really effective treatment for my headaches, when I get them, is oxycodone. I've never been prescribed phenergan, demerol, or Stadol.

I have had some discussions with my doctor (s) as well concerning the antidepressants. My neurologist seems to think it helps. I personally think not but I still take them. The Midrin has been helping quiet a bit as well as the Oxycodone, however, I am fearful that he is going to stop the prescription - SOON. I have not had some of the side effects you have mentioned, however, I have endured some effects - lack of sleep, sexual dysfunction (with the Paxil - he lowered the dose), and sometimes a little anxiety or "shakes."

I swear I thought I was one of the few (and I mean really few) men who suffer from migraines. It is rare to hear about other males who have them.

Oh, and I almost forgot... I did go to a Chicropractor for about 7 months too. Initially, he was VERY helpful, but it too subsided...

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have suffered with migraines off and on since I was about 7 years old. To my knowledge they are always either scent and/or stress related. Yet I don't recall any odd or intense smells yesterday and I was definetely not stressed. Quite the opposite actually, I had a great day.
That, and near-total darkness, cool temps, and near-total silence. AGREED! I say near-total because if it's totally dark and totally silent i can SEE and HEAR my migraine and it just makes things worse. If there is just a wee little bit of light, and a wee little bit of white noise, i'm all good.
My mom said she had a migraine back in the late 1950's where she thought she was going crazy because her head hurt so bad and she could hear the snow falling outside and it hurt.

When I have a migraine, I find myself searching for absolute darkness and NO sound. I turn off all phones or "noise-makers" and usually do not tolerate any smells very well. I am extremely sensitive. I find, though, when I vomit (I know it sounds disgusting) I generally feel a little better. YES! ALWAYS! I need cool, dark, and quiet. Once I vomit I may need a short nap; but after that I am revved and ready to go. I was living with my parents briefly in spring 2004, (my last bad migraine) my mom was scared to death when she found me asleep on the floor of the bathroom. I knew from experience I was going to be sick and that I may not have the ability to reach the bathroom. So I just balled up my robe and slept on the carpeted floor. Those are signs that it is finally subsiding, somewhat. And, to be completely honest... I would say the later remedy is not for migraines but rather cluster or chonic headaches... Okay, whats a cluster headache? My migraines have lasted from 3 hours to a several days. My last 2 day migraine was in July 2002 when I read in the Star-Ledger newspaper that my job with the New Jersey School of the Arts had been eliminated by then Governor James Mc Greevey. With the stroke of a pen he wiped the entire program off the budget. :confused: :eek: What kind of gay man abolishes a high school arts program?!? (That's a rant for another day) At least I know that migraine was stress related :tongue: I have been hospitalized for them and they are completely debilitating. After I have suffered from one, it takes a couple days to recouperate as I am left physically fatigued and exhausted. Fortunately, I have never been hospitalized for one though I considered calling 911 last night. I do find that the longer the headache, the longer the recovery period.

Home remedies... watch your intake of caffiene, chocolate... get plenty of rest ann drink lots of water. If you do not have prescription medication, you can take 800 mg of Iburopen and an 1 Excedrin (I have done this) - you may want to consult a physician before prescribing to this remedy; however, it only works for those migraines that are not as intense.
Due to thyroid, allergy, and vestibular issues my diet does not include caffeine and I am allowed 1000 mg of sodium or less per day. Also nothing in my apartment has a scent, not even my decorative candles. I tried 600 mg ibuprofen last night, but I think it was too little, too late. :redface:

I've been a part of many groups and clubs in my life. I have to say I hate the migraine club. I would be ecstatic if a cure could be found and we could abolish it.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have migraines. They ran in my family. My Dad, Grandmother, and sister all had them too. They aren't as bad or as often now since I an getting older.
I don't know what to do to relieve them, other than see your doctor about a prescription. Some of these newer drugs do help some people. I always just toughed them out. I don't like doctors or drugs.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have only had a handful of them. One made me cry, but crying made it worse. I was asking my grandmother to come back later because I knew she was talking to me, but I couldn't understand what she was saying because everything just sounded so loud, and every vibration in my ear hurt. She got louder and asked me if I even knew what a migraine was! I burst into tears and told her to shut the fuck up. The only time I've ever said anything of the sort to my grandmother. She started screaming, and I cried harder and thought I was going to die.

The first time, I thought I was coming down with the flu. I barely made it two blocks to the pharmacy, and while I was in there trying to pick a medicine for my symptoms, I asked a woman to touch my forehead and tell me if I had a fever. She recoiled as if I was a leper, and told me to ask the pharmacist to do it. It was just another 20 feet away, but it was 20 feet too far. I bought theraflu, and went back to my job. I worked at a gym. I kicked the receptionist out of her office, turned out the lights, and hid under the desk for the rest of our shift. It was when a member (who apparently wasn't content to just take a damn' towel and go about his business) leaned into the 4'x5' office and asked loudly, "Where are you girls?" that I realised it was a migraine.

I get fewer than one a year. I have no idea what to do about them but find near dark and complete silence and avoid puking or crying until it passes.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I'm a maigraineur, too. 4th generation actually, from my mother's side of the family....great grandmother, grandmother, mother, myself.

I've just been weaned off of Topamax, after taking it for a little over 3 years. So far, I've been migraine free for 4 months, so the dr. thinks that it did the trick. I have tried Relpax, Zomig, beta blockers, and several other types of drugs all to no avail, until I was put on Topamax.

Other than that, prescription painkillers were the only thing that ever brought relief.

We migraine sufferers need to stick together!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont exactly know what it is that I have but my doctor tells me they are migraines. I do know that just about the only thing that gives relief from them is vomiting. My eyesight gets blurry and there is really nothing I can do. I remember driving home one day from work like that .I had to stop along the side of the road and go for it!

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I got in a bad car accident two years ago and now suffer from pretty bad migraines multiple times a week since then. Loss of vision and sharp headache. A lot of the time I get them in my sleep and wake up with the after effects of one. Dr recently been telling me about some new medications that either just came out or are coming out. Migraines are the worst and really fuck things up, they always seem to pop up at the wrong time too.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have only had a handful of them. One made me cry, but crying made it worse. I was asking my grandmother to come back later because I knew she was talking to me, but I couldn't understand what she was saying because everything just sounded so loud, and every vibration in my ear hurt. She got louder and asked me if I even knew what a migraine was! I burst into tears and told her to shut the fuck up. The only time I've ever said anything of the sort to my grandmother. She started screaming, and I cried harder and thought I was going to die.
Ah, this is exactly the kind of thing I meant when I said "no one understands what you are going through unless they have actually had a migraine. Otherwise, they think you are just being a big whiney crybaby and making a big deal out of a little headache." They don't realize that migraine and cluster headaches are physiologically very different from other kinds of headache.

Although my migraines are the painful kind, I have had others. Anyone here besides me ever had what is described as a "stomach migraine" or an "optical migraine?" I've never had the stomach migraine but have seen it described in the literature. It's pretty much all the symptoms, especially nausea, but without the head pain.

I was driving home from work one evening and suddenly had some bizarre visual disturbances. I don't even really know how to describe it, except right at the edge of my vision, there were swirling, flashing colors... perhaps a bit like holding a CD just barely out of the direct line of vision, and moving it around. I thought I was having a stroke or something, and was terrified - I still had another 20 miles to drive and it was 1 a. m. When I called my doctor the next day, he said I had just described an optical migraine. It's happened to me twice, and to one of my sisters once. Annoying, but not as bad as the headache I usually get.