Migraine Misery - Any other sufferers

bbristow

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i once wore my sunglasses indoors (while i was at work) coz of a migraine.. it did work a little, although i got weird looks from others.. it was a weekend, so there weren't too many people to make fun of me.

i think i'm getting more and more sensitive to light, coz of all those nights cramming (and also doing some stress relieving activity :smile:), surrounded by darkness, with my laptop as my only source of light.. that's what i get from procrastinating, i guess..

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i once wore my sunglasses indoors (while i was at work) coz of a migraine.. it did work a little, although i got weird looks from others.. it was a weekend, so there weren't too many people to make fun of me.

i think i'm getting more and more sensitive to light, coz of all those nights cramming (and also doing some stress relieving activity :smile:), surrounded by darkness, with my laptop as my only source of light.. that's what i get from procrastinating, i guess..

Ive done the shades of shame as well but for some reason they didnt help to alleviate the pain really but then that could be because I have two big windows in my office.

bbristow

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ive done the shades of shame as well but for some reason they didnt help to alleviate the pain really but then that could be because I have two big windows in my office.

i didn't know it had a name.. "shades of shame".. hehe

yeah, the windows could be a factor.. but i work in the evenings too, so there's not much sunlight at all...

so it's gotta be weird working at night with sunglasses on.

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Last night I had a migraine. It's not the first, but it was the worst one in about 3 years. After tearing my apartment apart, I realized I was out of Relpax. :mad: :eek:

There are many types of migraines. Last night I had the worst kind for me, the one that hits you right between the eyes like a baseball bat, then throbs, and pulsates; and like a spidery hand reaches back over your skull.
The other type of migraine, the kind I can sometimes ride out with home remedies or prescription meds is the one that feels like my brain stem is throbbing.

When I was in grad school a friend gave me a great home remedy for migraines Coca~Cola and aspirin. Not Pepsi not Advil, don't know why it works but it does. I think it has something to do with the vasoconstrictors.

Anyway, from about 8:30 PM until maybe 2 AM I was in absolute abject misery complete with intense nausea. Finally vomited around 2 :15 AM and it was so horrifically intense I woke my upstairs neighbor. I know it's gross but I swear I threw up food from last week, I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head and almost 12 hours later I still have a sore throat from wretching. I feel better now but am still kinda weak.

So I'm curious, who else has migraines, what do you take and how do you manage them?
all are vestibular related so I am essentually unable to function on any basis.
I get 3-5 migraines a week of varying pain levels. My doctor has me on topamax, relpax, effexor, vicoden, and if my b/p returns to a higher lever again it will be verapamil to try to help through the calcium channel blocker ways.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i didn't know it had a name.. "shades of shame".. hehe

yeah, the windows could be a factor.. but i work in the evenings too, so there's not much sunlight at all...

so it's gotta be weird working at night with sunglasses on.

Well, I work from 11 to 8 so I do work into the evening but the natural light combined with the artificial light deliver a serious blow to the senses.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Try organic chemistry with a hell of a migraine. It's a bitch. BIGTIME. But I had to go soo... my doc put me on vicoden a while back but has switched me to 150mg Tramadol. It's a synthetic opioid analgesic for moderate to severe pain that is remarkably similar to vicoden but doesn't have the drowsy side affects. It's mainly used in maxillofacial surgery patients or patients with trigeminal neuralgia (or neuralgia in general). It's amazing, it does it's job everytime usually in about 45mins. Heres a quote from the WIKI article...

"It has been suggested that tramadol could be effective for alleviating symptoms of depression and anxiety because of its action on GABAergic, noradrenergic and specifically serotonergic systems, the involvement of which appear to play a part in its ability to alleviate the perception of pain."

joybunny

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have suffered from migraines for about 4 years. I sometimes have to take off from work because of the pain. Advil and Diet Coke is my choice but it's not 100 percent. I also get this foggy, drained feeling afterwards.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have suffered from migraines for about 4 years. I sometimes have to take off from work because of the pain. Advil and Diet Coke is my choice but it's not 100 percent. I also get this foggy, drained feeling afterwards.

That is very intriguing. SO basically the caffeine dilates your capilaries and it serves to lessen the nausea while the Advil works on the pain. I may have to try that.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

That is very intriguing. SO basically the caffeine dilates your capilaries and it serves to lessen the nausea while the Advil works on the pain. I may have to try that.

When I was in grad school a friend gave me a great home remedy for migraines Coca~Cola and aspirin. Not Pepsi not Advil, don't know why it works but it does. I think it has something to do with the vasoconstrictors.

Check out Goody's Headache Powders as they contain caffeine and acetaminophen, and aspirin. My cousin Clem swears by it. :cool:

joybunny

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Check out Goody's Headache Powders as they contain caffeine and acetaminophen, and aspirin. My cousin Clem swears by it. :cool:
One of my uncles swears by Goody's Headache Powder. It works but the taste is awful. Reminds me of Dr. Tichenor's Antiseptic Mouthwash . I remember it being so strong you had to mix it with water.

I think I'm going to invest in an old fashioned bottle of aspirin and see if that works a little better than the Advil.

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I suffer from migraines.
I take imitrex.
I have no health insurance and find it extremely hard to afford.

In a nut shell, I lock myself in my room and try to sleep it off.
It never works though.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
I suffer from migraines.
I take imitrex.
I have no health insurance and find it extremely hard to afford.

In a nut shell, I lock myself in my room and try to sleep it off.
It never works though.

I'm sorry :frown1:. I know it takes countless millions to come up with a new medicine and market it, but they need to find a way to subsidize it for people without insurance. Like the cell phone industry.... maybe commit to a 1 year or 2 year supply then they give it to you at a cheaper price. But many things can change within a year or 2.

XGX

Ionto

Sexy Member
Media
When the Claritin-D didn't clear up the pain; and the pain moved from the bridge of my nose to right behind my eyes I knew what the problem was.

I only started getting migraines in recent years, and always after taking certain anti-histamines, such as Claritin-D.

At least if you know what causes these attacks, you can avoid them. I try to avoid anti-histamines as much as I can, in spite of recurrent allergy problems.

Anyone else experience the same ?

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got one just by seeing this thread revived...

Just kidding... it is no laughing matter... unless you are a masochist.

One serious theory of their cause is a reaction to suddenly changing environment...
Flashing lights, odors... etc... or food/beverages... such as sharp cheeses, dark chocolate and red wines... (all of which I would rather die than live without!)

Have you tried "Bio-feedback" methods? Give this a try:

Lay down... Squeeze your hands (form a fist) and feet (curl your toes)... and really squeeze then together with all your might... while breathing as deep as you can, but with slow intake and outtake... Do this counting your breathes... say, to 100, or hopefully until you fall asleep...

You are then drawing blood to your outer extremities.

That is another reason why jacking/jilling-off is supposedly helpful...

You want to draw the sudden increase in blood flow to the brain that started the headache, away from it, and back out into your body mass.

Shut up about it being "New Age" and try it.

Of course, if you can take it... a big dose of caffeine might do the trick, as well.

"Dr. Onan"

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
one of the worst things you can do is run around your apt. going thru drawers looking for meds and getting additionally worked up. If you feel one coming on have your meds handy, lay down in a completely dark room and avoid all communications with others especially confrontational ones. I've often got relief from headaches by soaking in cool water even running water over my head helps to some extent.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oops... Thank you, Dr. Deno... I should have mentioned this as well... While you try to relax with those simple exercises... turn out all lights and cover your eyes, so that no light is leaking in... it will help greatly for relief of the pain.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey Deno,

Yes, I remember you, and have wondered if you are they same Deno, wanted to ask, but you don't accept PMs. You were really helpful with tech probs in the cam room! And a gentleman.

Alphacocks was hacked and ruined by a Syrian Muslim anti-sex fanatic... Talk about a headache! The owner didn't feel like rebuilding it from scratch.

Hope you are doing great!

Onan

Last edited:

jack65

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi NJ, i think it really depends what sets them of as to what will work, mine are from a disc in between my shoulder blades, from the age of 14 to the age of 38 no doctor could work out why i got these, even though i told them that i could feel them coming on and where it started, then one doctor that my wife used to go to had a look in my file (the wife and i went to the same med center) and said i know why you have a bad disc between you shoulder blades and you will never get rid of the migraines that come from it playing up.

apparently the disc does something then the muscles go into overdrive trying to compensate and it goes on and on until after several hours the migraines starts.
these are all ways 2 day events with up to a week for recovery, for me the treatment is now daily, i have 1 10mg tramal, this relaxes the muscles but does not make me sleepy so i still can get about quite good, i started this 4 years ago and have had 3 migraines only. I'm not to scared of much in this life but i do fear them coming back.

Perhaps it may be worth going to the doc and find a preventive plan instead of trying to ride it out when they come, hope it helps.