Mile High Club

Cassandra32FF

1st Like
Media
I saw a Canadian AF 707 take off and man those JT3's were incredible. The way they spooled up to a shrieking crescendo, plumes of soot and away she went.:smile::smile:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
thirteenbyseven said:
I agree, those Speys on the BAC1-11 were indeed God's gift to noise. As a kid I remember watching an American Airlines BAC1-11 taking-off and thinking "geez for a small airline jet it was so loud. ....Magnificent obsolescence.

Indeed, I think the comet was the first Jet I flew on...noisy sucker, but I liked the 1-11, made me think of an oversized bizjet somehow..kinda cute. I like the gravelly noise some 'older' engines made...hard to describe but marbles on a tin tray comes close ish. Would like to have flown on a later Trident (i.e. ones that could move!). Been on a couple of 727s and they can really move! :tongue:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cassandra32FF said:
Noise abatement is for weenies.:biggrin1: go to John Wayne Orange county airport at 6 am then wake up everyone with a non hushkitted BAC 1-11. :eek:

Cruel Heartless woman...I like your style (just remember...fake tags ok) :tongue:

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cassandra32FF said:
Noise abatement is for weenies.:biggrin1: go to John Wayne Orange county airport at 6 am then wake up everyone with a non hushkitted BAC 1-11. :eek:
Miss Cassandra, as one of those in both camps, an airline ATP who lives in Eastbluff a couple of miles off the departure end of 19R, I would hope you would repect the 10pm to 7am curfew. I may be attempting a romantic rendevous.:adam4:

Cassandra32FF

1st Like
Media
thirteenbyseven said:
Miss Cassandra, as one of those in both camps, an airline ATP who lives in Eastbluff a couple of miles off the departure end of 19R, I would hope you would repect the 10pm to 7am curfew. I may be attempting a romantic rendevous.:adam4:

Awww can't I at least do one high power 40 degree flap approach over the houses?:biggrin1:

Cassandra32FF

1st Like
Media
I like the DC-8 myself. However I dislike the re-engined -70 series. That version took all the excitement and noise out of hearing a JT3 powered stretch 8. :biggrin1:

Andre80

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dong20 said:
Was never a fan of the 707...thought they looked a bit 'ungainly' but I loved the later DC8s long and sleek. Never flew on either..though, and probably never will.

Same. High bypass turbofans are where it's at.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cassandra32FF said:
I like the DC-8 myself. However I dislike the re-engined -70 series. That version took all the excitement and noise out of hearing a JT3 powered stretch 8. :biggrin1:

The DC-8? That was before I was born! A DC-8 series 63 with the nose inlets for the pressurization turbocompressors and four screaming JT3-7's? Cassandra this is getting a little scary. If you start coming up with stories about feathering DC-7C Wright 3350 engines over the North Atlantic and carrying three inches of rime into Idlewild on a snowy night in '57 I'm going to get real scared.

What happened to the coed with the gorgeous "wabbos"...and who's favorite color was pink and...:pat:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cassandra32FF said:
....took all the excitement and noise out of hearing a JT3 powered stretch 8. :biggrin1:

I'm intrigued by this noise thing you got going on...do you make love to a background of smokey old Pratt & Whitneys? :tongue:

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
UPS has a ton of CFM coverted -71's and 73's. If you ever get out to Ontario California or their Louisville hub you'd be amazed at the number of these ships still flying originally delivered to United, Eastern, Air Canada, etc. They built 'em like bank vaults out in Long Beach in the sixties. The Boeing 707-320's have been scrapped.

It is a little sad. I drove passed the old Douglas assembly factory and headquarters on Lakewood Blvd. Nothing but a dirt field west of the road and I believe Boeing will raze the remaining assembly building when the last Boeing 717 is delivered to Air Tran this month. They had a little ceremony in April with a group of MD old timers in attendance. The first DC-8 prototype flew about forty-eight years ago.

Cassandra32FF

1st Like
Media
I've got numerous photos of the line-up of McDonnell Douglas aircraft at Long Beach. Shiny new DC-8s, DC-9s and DC-10s. I only wish i had the chance to see them for real.
One of my favorite airline schemes for the DC-10 was the Koaru livery for Air New Zealand.
What a dream to sit on the departure end to see the planes do their pre delivery flights.
Yeah Boeing and MD built their planes like tanks. :biggrin1: