Military boxer shorts

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Tibia, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Tibia

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Was up at West Point this week. Any particular underwear that they wear? There are some really good looking cadets. I also saw pics of some very short shorts that some military guys wear. Anybody have pics?

2. jockmaestro

Gold Member

I believe the military used to issue briefs and jockstraps, but somewhere I read that they now give out boxers. I don't really know, but why would any soldier want to go into battle commando (ha!), which is essentially what wearing boxers is. I'd want my balls pouched!

3. albatross80

albatross80 New Member

Boxers are not issued in boot camp its white fruit of the looms. And it sucked because they have no stretch. I have served 4 tours 3 in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan, I dont know any guys that would go on mission for 3 or 4 days without going commando. If you wear briefs, even boxer briefs you will have the worst jock itch. Some men did and had to go to medical for they were so infected from fungus. We went commando aired out, and attempted to keep clean with wet wipes. Back on base, is when the underwear would come out. Its commando all the way for most men.

4. onenuttertoo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Albatross80 - thanks for your service.

5. redneckgymrat

Gold Member

+1 I, too, thank you for your service.

6. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm beginning to get a very wierd feel from some of the posts that keep coming up thanking soldiers for being soldiers. Why dont we get posts thanking bankers for devising ways to cause pain and suffering? Sure, there are people coming back in bags but that is what happens to soldiers as part of the job description. The same has always been true of the construction industry. Every time you walk the street and look at some major construction project, remember it was cemented with blood. Every time you drive to work remember people die on the roads every day so you can. And lets not talk about people drowning in bangladesh because of rising sea levels from global warming.

But yeah, when I was young it was short shorts and briefs. just thought it was natural so didnt realise it was a golden age.

7. musclebare9

Gold Member

Thanks for your input. Do you have any other stupid comments?

8. bondegutten

bondegutten Member

Albums:
    agreed.

9. jtmony08

jtmony08 Member

Albums:
    Dandelion & Bondegutten, We are thanked for our service because unlike bankers, we serve to protect your freedom to say stupid shit. BTW, what's wrong with thanking someone for their service. Only in America (and a very small few countries in the West) do you have such freedoms. Run to Syria, lets see how long you last speaking freely. To answer the OP, we have the freedom to wear what is comfortable. But like A-80 mentioned, most will go without during long missions that call for rucking, patrolling, etc.

10. bondegutten

bondegutten Member

Albums:
    i'm not american, you have nothing to do with my "freedom".
    and besides fighting for peace is like fucking for virginiuty, as far as i'm concerned. i fail to see how killing people makes the world a better place.
    btw i'm not interested in a discussion about this, so trying to start one is pointless.

11. houtx48

Gold Member

Let not get to high and mighty, what happened to serving with quiet dignity? It's not like soldiers serve without compensation.

12. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

When I did basic training at Lackland we were issued white baggy boxers (Of course, that has been some years ago!)

I did a post recently on a DVD from the Discovery Channel entitled "Making Marines" and the newbies wore green boxers.

13. jockmaestro

Gold Member

Seriously?? You'd go into combat with your nuts swinging?

I think I read recently about the military developing some kind of super hard cup to protect genitals from bombs. Can't believe we humans do this to each other.

see:

Comments (127 comments)

Army: ballistic boxers-yes; ballistic cups-no
    By Larry Shaughnessy, CNN Pentagon Producer

Not long ago the Army made public its strategy for protecting some of its soldiers' most delicate body parts. They were beginning testing of what some have called "ballistic boxers and cups."

One of the cups being considered is made of stainless steel; another is made from high-molecular-weight polyethylene, a plastic that is lighter than Kevlar but better at stopping bullets.

"They all basically work to slow down the fragments. We are looking to prevent penetration of the genitals," Col. Bill Cole, an Army officer overseeing projects aimed at better protecting soldiers, said in May.

But on Thursday, Cole said that soldiers who have been testing the cups had some complaints.

"The soldier feedback we got from the soldiers at Fort Benning was that they don't think the cups were very comfortable. We still plan on making some available to soldiers, but they didn't find them comfortable during long road marches or individual movement or low crawling and that type of thing."

The "ballistic boxers" seem to be working better. The heavy silk boxers, which look like shorts that professional cyclists wear, won't stop a bullet or shrapnel from an IED. But the silk can stop small projectiles like those kicked up by an explosion.

"It is expected to prevent fine sands and particles that are thrown up by explosives, so that the tissue wounds are cleaner, less ragged and easier to treat," said Lt. Jamie Larson, a Marines Corps spokesperson said in May.

And since the silk is treated with antimicrobial agents, the boxers help protect injured troops from wound infections.

While it may not sound like it affords much protection, silk is actually a very strong fiber, said Brig. Gen. Peter Fuller, who heads the Army office that tests and develops new protective gear. He noted that silk was used by medieval knights "under the mail armor" to protect against wounds from swords and other weapons.

Thursday Cole said two Army battalions in Afghanistan are field-testing the boxers and they are getting ready to send boxers to more troops.

Cole said they have no formal results yet but he'd heard of one case in which one soldier stepped on an IED and suffered grievous wounds, but the boxers did the job they were intended to do. They greatly reduced the dirt, small rocks and debris that normally get into blast wounds.

Troops in the field may also soon be wearing new helmets, but the Marines are in charge of testing those and there's been no word yet on how those tests are going.

Share this:
    Twitter14

14. jockmaestro

Gold Member

This is, obviously, quite a complex issue. The ol' "fucking for virginity" comment is way too simplistic. It takes only ONE foe to breed a war. What would you say if your country were invaded by, say, a Hitler. Then you'd be happy to have soldiers no doubt. We're stuck with war, I'm afraid.

That said, it's highly questionable whether fighting in Iraq is 'service for freedom." seems to me we had our freedoms when Saddam was in power. The Iraq war has killed tens of thousands; let's not forget that innocent Iraquis were killed.
    I know, I know.. this isn't the place for political diatribes.

15. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Look north and turn left, real sudden like
    Verified:
    Photo
    All the political bullshit aside.

Basic training they flipped back and forth over the years between boxers (OD or white depending on when) and briefs (white or brown during the BDU era). As the military loosened up they started giving guys a choice. Not sure if they still do or not.

Boxers were much better for cleaning your rifle and crew served weapons with though.

When in the field, deployed, or wherever, the majority of guys ultimately go commando.

Draft saved Draft deleted