Military Experience?

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
I'm a black dude making a thread! :p

Right, after my education, one of the options I'm thinking of doing, is enlisting in Her Maj's armed forces and becoming a biomedical scientist through that route. I've read (and watched) the blurb and it all seems pretty exciting, it's something that I absolutely CAN do and it's a scary, but potentially rewarding career if I ever want to revisit civilian life.

Now, I know that there are many, many people here who've been through the service at one time or another, for many different roles, and I wanted to know what your experiances were, what was it like? What did YOU gain out of it?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Orca, I was in the United States Marine Corps, so I have experience there, but I really don't know if service to The Crown is the same. I had some good experiences and bad.

I do know that on this side of the pond, military recruiters will tell you whatever they think you want to hear, in order to get you in, and unfortunately, it's somewhat legal. You have to fill out mounds and mounds of paperwork, and if you don't read every single letter on every single page, it's easy to miss the fine print that says "offers of a military specialty are not a guarantee, and you will be assigned as needed." I was enlisted. It may be different for officers, and UK may have more restrictions. I really don't know. But in such a technical field as you described, those are usually filled more by commissioned officers. Good luck!

aleftcurve

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
Going in the military was one of the best things i've ever done. But i agree with DC Deep. I had some good and bad experiences as well. But over all it was mostly positive. I gained so much from it. I even think i have the job i have now because of it.:smile:

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
ORCABOMBER said:
What did YOU gain out of it?
self-respect, self-reliance, shrapnel lodged in my hipbone, how to knock out a T-72 with a grenade ... i could go on :p

seriously ... this is a huge cliché, but: it either makes a man of you, or you quit. it ain't for everyone, but if you do have the temperament, it does get a lot easier after basic training (but not a WHOLE lot :biggrin1:). I wouldn't know shit about being a biomedical scientist, so i can't really advise you on how that might compliment and/or conflict with real training. also bear in mind that if you join up now, you're likely to wind up serving in the middle east within the next 2-3 years, so if you was thinking of being a toy soldier or a sandhurst brat, now is not a good time :biggrin1:

dc deep is correct that you will have to take a lot of shit from ruperts, clueless civilians and other wastes of space. that's how HM armed forces work in the 21st century, i'm afraid, and sadly it's also the reason why i finally had to get out. so i can't pretend that my time in the army left me with only good experiences and skills: it also left me with a lot of bitterness and anger, some of which has never really left me. so i guess there's a caveat there for what it's worth.

it did teach me a lot about my own abilities and limits, and an awful (literally) lot about the nature of authority and the people who like to wield it - and as i just mentioned, the command echelons themselves are a relatively small part of that. I served under some awesome officers and some terrible ones, but all the government goons i had to deal with were worthless scum, without exception. I rapidly learned that our supposed lords and masters in whitehall were a far more insidious and dangerous enemy than any of the balkanese slobs we actually fought, and far more likely to get you and your mates dead ... but that's a whole other rant, i guess.

good luck with whatever you decide, anyways.

lifewillkillyou

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I was an 0311 Basic Infanrtyman for the Corps and have served almost two of my five years in the Middle East. Understand that yes, there are some heart pounding, movie making moments. The other 95% is sitting and waiting, walking and looking, doing nothing all while being expossed to the elements for months. Understand this, ONCE YOU'VE DONE IT, NOT MATTER HOW MUCH YOU HATE IT, IT WILL NEVER LEAVE YOUR BLOOD!!!!! YOU WILL ALWAYS WOUNDER IF YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED FOR JUST ONE MORE TOUR! Trust me.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Thanks guys. For more details, my "interest" is a sub division of the medical corps, to sum it up, it's the guy who shouts "OMFG! HE'S GOT ANTHRAX!" I've got experience with the 'goey' side of that anyway, but everything else is based on my constitution...many thanks.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
With some years of military in my book, I can say it was a good decision. I was among the group who is one of the easiest to get recruits from, white rural poor people. In fact, I hadn't been approached at by a recruiter, I volunteered, and in the end it became 25 years almost.

Aside from the catches in the papers I had to sign, and the sometimes very euphemistic descriptions, it was a good time, but the best was that it can be a real job builder. I don't know where they get those addresses, but I was being approached by FedEx, United, Delta, Continental and NorthWest and offered jobs, together with other companies who seemed to be after my engineering skills. So, it paid off, especially after the last few pretty bitter months.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
I am weary of that sort of thing. What happened in Deepcut was stupid "OMFG! I COMMIT SUICIDE WITH A MACHINE GUN TO THE FACE!" As much as people would like to be ho-hum about it, the army doesn't always do the best it can to look after everyone.

Makes anyone wonder why I'm still interested! Well, because I am.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guys who did it ended up 'in a car accident in Iraq'. I doubt the forces like soldiers who are too good at taking the lives of their own troops.

thedude111

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I liked the military. Not enough to stay 20 yrs. I traveled, went to college and also was trained in many things that have helped me thru' life. I learned some remodeling and construction work. NOW that is what I do in life. Mainly remodeling in the Palm Springs Calif. area. Tons of work and tons of money to be made. I stayed in contact with many friends for a number of yrs. No longer. But I had some great friendships.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey Orca, joining the military was the best thing I have ever done. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps (89-93). It gave me a world view that you absolutely can not get anywhere and, I believe, a more truthful view of the world, too.

Understand that although I am very glad I did it and it was the best years of my life, I would not do it again. I went in, did what I wanted to do, got what I wanted out of it and left.

I always knew that I would not be a lifer. As long as you know what you want out of it go in with that goal in mind. If your goal is to get medical schooling out of it, to me, that's not enough to justify spending 20 + years in it.

That is, however, justification enough to have the military pay for my schooling and give me on the job experience that I can use in the private section.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, you have to make the decision for yourself. I would agree with all the others that I think it's a damn good decision to join, but you have to feel that way.

D_Abednego Cripespepper

Account Disabled
Media
15 year Army vet here.......5 years enlisted, 3 years in college (100% free + a tax free check each month for $1,100 for 36 months!) while also in the reserves, and now 7 years as an officer leading great Americans. Wearing the uniform is not for everyone, but the shared values, tough lessons learned, and SHARED experiences (both good and bad) last a lifetime. The retirement check at the end of 20 years for someone as young as 37 is really hard to pass up--especially when they can start another life at that point. Biggest point: Don't believe for a second that basic training is anything like you see in the movies....BCT is a temporary condition to put everyone on an equal playing field, train, and send out to the workforce (units). Hell, I'd actually pay money to go to BCT again...lol.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wished I had the opportunity to serve when I was 18...as all the guys as soon they become 18 are obligated by Constitution to present themselves and than the military will choose between the vast numbers of all citzens from all classes the best. Brasil is not into war but in international peace missions, and our military is one of the smaller in the world compared with our country and population size (we spend 1.3% PIB with it).

By presenting you are going to receive one of 3 certificates (not serve for some motive, serve and received basic trainm. and receive more specif. trainm) and without it you are going to have 'problems' in civil life in Brasil.

Many families see it as a great opportunity for their sons to str8 up in a Bootcamp, because will take them away from bad company, crime etc. Others as an excelent school that will clothe, shelter and feed them...there are guys that want very much to serve and others will do anything possible to avoid..but I think is a great show to level all the citizens as equal. Rich, middle class and poor. And Army, Navy or Airforce will choose the best of them.

I come from 3 generations both sides of my family in the military Navy and Army. I lived in many different bases including schools the guys served.. I was glued into my father and granpa stuff more than the boys in my family ...even in militar ditatorship regime I understood difference between militars and that many of them did not trust some because they were informants for the regime...everytime my dad was asked to 'do something' because some in family or friends went to interrogation in student moviment protest or say the wrong thing, I knew he was risking himself.

I love the good military, bootcamp situations I wished I could served at least the obligatory 1year.

:drillsergeant: yes sir! :rambo: SELVA! (jungle!)

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My friend has a dildo that's named The General.

That's been my military experience. *shrug*:tongue:

If she's very wet, or you are, I suggest you rename that toy "The Admiral".

Gisella, I see you are another fan of the Israeli scheme? A service year for both, men as well as women?

I might still add that the Brazil military is the largest of Southern America, in terms of numbers, but the figure of 1.3 % BIP military expenditure is fairly old, from the 1970s. My latest number is that in 1997, it has dropped fairly low under the 1.0% mark, making it 12.0 billion US-$. However, the military has been the leading force behind Brazils economic growth during the late 60s, early 70s.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a black dude making a thread! :p

Right, after my education, one of the options I'm thinking of doing, is enlisting in Her Maj's armed forces and becoming a biomedical scientist through that route. I've read (and watched) the blurb and it all seems pretty exciting, it's something that I absolutely CAN do and it's a scary, but potentially rewarding career if I ever want to revisit civilian life.

Now, I know that there are many, many people here who've been through the service at one time or another, for many different roles, and I wanted to know what your experiances were, what was it like? What did YOU gain out of it?

Get that education first ! Get guarantees from your government (and in an ironclad writing) that the program you are after is what you'll get out of the whole experience. Otherwise there are those that'll try to enlist you, then sandbag your career/life to fit what they have the need for (like, as if what you're after isn't an important need that has it's place for fulfillment ?). Because as Kerry very eloquently and succinctly put it, you may wind up in Iraq in that situation otherwise. That's not to imply those in Iraq are dumb, stupid or whatever spin is out there. But there is a big difference between being in the Armed Forces for what you're going after and perceive it to be and what the Army will perceive your role to be. They may make you their field operations biomed scientist and may make you go door to door in Iraq finding these biomed wmd's. The one's they never found because they never existed. All you'll find is insurgency escalated into civil war.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If she's very wet, or you are, I suggest you rename that toy "The Admiral".

Gisella, I see you are another fan of the Israeli scheme? A service year for both, men as well as women?

I might still add that the Brazil military is the largest of Southern America, in terms of numbers, but the figure of 1.3 % BIP military expenditure is fairly old, from the 1970s. My latest number is that in 1997, it has dropped fairly low under the 1.0% mark, making it 12.0 billion US-$. However, the military has been the leading force behind Brazils economic growth during the late 60s, early 70s.

:lmao: Heather...I may had bring one general or admiral in my bootcamp tent experience...

Claire..than we are more brooke than I imagined...I remember our navy ships were 2nd hand bought from US...its very expensive have an update military. And Brasil is a very peaceful country the huge war we have very dangerous is about crime inside our big cities.

Yes, I like the Israel scheme where both must serve not just men. But comming from a peaceful country not in ongoing wars and have to deploit to really fight I may had different point of view of military that I have if I was those 18y old .

I study in catholic schools at least 3 or 4 times...fathers and sisters ones..I hated that just hated. Much prefer to be sent to a military academy ,but again girls could not. I like the bootcamp situation for a year and all you learn and carry from that experience..even my drill sargent I would enjoy:drillsergeant: :kiss: ...because believe me there are worse 'drill sargents' in religious schools..:mad:

I hope some day I find an adult bootcamp that give me a bit of I missed!:smile:

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Get that education first ! Get guarantees from your government (and in an ironclad writing) that the program you are after is what you'll get out of the whole experience. Otherwise there are those that'll try to enlist you, then sandbag your career/life to fit what they have the need for. Because as Kerry very eloquently and succinctly put it, you may wind up in Iraq in that situation otherwise...

Some of those sneaky recruiters are saying "the war has ended" or using other tricks to get one enlisted. Seethe link:

ABC News: Army Recruiters Accused of Misleading Students to Get Them to Enlist

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
NOW I wish I had gone in back then and served long enough to retire.
Instead, I joined the reserves and after three summer camps, I got out.
Had I stayed in twenty years I'd be able to receive military benefits like hospitalization, retirement pay and base/PX shopping priviledges.
I joined to keep from being drafted. Now I think the draft should be brought back. Could perhaps make men out of some of the punks running around expecting free rides.
I know this will not be a popular post to some.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To the last three posts.

GISELLA:
While I wouldn't say that I particularly liked boot camp, I must say that the actual thing wasn't as worse as some movies imply it. I think if you're in, and past the first two days, the hardships aren't as worse in your eyes [my eyes, here] as they appear to be to outsiders. I don't have experience with catholic colleges, but putting your experience and mine together, I'd confirm you.

And another little note: Argentina was supposed to have a much stronger and more modern military than Brazil, mainly composed of equipment from Europe and US, and now see how much it had helped them with the Falklands.

DREAMER20:
The tricks of the recruiters are a fairly old hat, I had volunteered too, and still was told a lot of euphemisms. The standard phrase, which is something like "It'll be hard, but not that hard - and you're a tough guy, after all", actually means that it will be really hard, no matter how tough a guy or girl you are. But in the end, if you decide to join the military, you should be aware that you're not up to a sunday afternoon in the park.

What has become appalling to me was that some recruiters obviously decided to hint out the darker ways of working around some restrictions, like pointing out addresses where you can get false High School diplomas.

DIRTY VIDEOPHILE:
The PX privileges are really great! And don't forget that a military career of 20 years can be a great door opener or resume builder, especially in the tech trade.