Milk is bad for adults?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Joseph, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Joseph

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I ask this cause I eat cereal with milk everyday, but sometimes I get stomachache because of it, some people say adults shouldn't drink milk in pure form... Is this true? What do you say?

2. earllogjam

Gold Member

If you can't digest milk enzyme lactose you get very ill drinking milk. My sister never liked milk and would get the runs or even throw up if she drank milk. I, on the other hand, love milk to this day and drink lots of it without a problem.

3. Joseph

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    does it matter if it's something like getting pain once a month?

Ugh After all these years it feels so hard to think of a new thing to eat for breakfast

4. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I like it on my cereal. :)

Some people are lactose intolerant and can't digest it (as has been mentioned). Doesn't sound like that's the case with you - but if you're getting pains once a month, mebbe try something else occasionally (toast, croissant, fruit salad?), just to see how you get on with it.

Also, could get the stomach pains checked out by your Doc, just to make sure there's nothing else wrong.

5. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Recently (within the last couple of years or so), my body has become increasingly more intolerant to lactose, so that might be happening for you. It sucks.

There are a lot of options, though. You could eat your cereal with any variety of lactose-free milk (soy, almond, rice, basic lactose-free). You can eat toast, eggs or bacon. Yada, yada, plenty of options, just be a little creative.

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I would check with your doctor. Pain is usually a red flag that something is wrong somewhere. It might be the milk but I think it's best to know for sure.

I eat cereal and oatmeal with milk and also in my coffee. Nothing takes better than chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven with a nice cold glass of milk to me.

7. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've never heard that before. I drink milk everyday. I love it. Especially in a glass mug from the freezer so the milk gets little ice chips in it. SO GOOD!

Personally I think soy milk tastes horrible, but I don't have to drink it, so I refuse to. If I were left with no choice I wouldn't drink it at all because I hate it that much. But that's my personal taste. I drink skim milk which is something most people I know IRL cannot stand. I think it tastes good.

Talk to your doctor.

8. bigrider

bigrider Member

Albums:
    keep drinking that milk too so you stay nice and sexy

9. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lactose intolerance is a matter of inheritance. Adult onset of lactose intolerance is very common, and leads to some of those anti-milk diatribes. But if it is the lactose, try Lactaid milk which has been treated with the lactase enzyme, or learn to enjoy your cereal with cultured buttermilk or yogurt.

My family is Native American but I am Finnish American and grew up with yogurt, especially a certain variety we have to grow ourselves, called viillia. Cheese will not bother you either if it is lactose intolerance, because it is the whey which contains the lactose, and making butter and cheese removes the whey. But you'll still have to watch out for 'American' cheeses like Velveeta and nacho sauces, as they add whey back in to make them more liquid.

A disturbing trend is the addition of lactose to many candies, especially chocolate bars, that my kids used to enjoy but now cannot. Damn you, Hershey and Mars. :mad:

#9 helgaleena, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  10. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

If you're only getting pain once a month, I doubt it's anything TOO serious... how bad is the pain and how long does it last? I doubt lactose intolerance is the issue, for if it were, you'd be experiencing an upset stomach every time you had a bowl of cereal, not once a month. Might just have something to do with the acid levels in your stomach at the time you eat the cereal. *shrug* Could be very innocent. :)

11. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    it absolutely is. we're not baby cows; there is no reason to be drinking milk

12. Jason

Gold Member

Animal milk (and milk products) was quite a late addition to human diet - something in the order of 5000BC. It has become a mainstay of diet in Europe, India, Middle East and much of Africa, and there appears to have been evolutionary changes so that adults can tolerate it. However other ethnicities do often have problems - for example adults in China generally cannot tolerate milk (or indeed cheese, which as pointed out above doesn't usually include lactose, so I suppose it must be something else which causes the intolerance).

Joseph - the obvious answer has to be that you should see a doctor. Your symptoms could be anything or nothing. For a European 22 would be early to get lactose intolerance. They could also be caused not by milk but say by a high volume of cereal consumed at one go.

13. accemb

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's why you have such a beautiful complexion!:smile:

14. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    asian descent in general. i'm half japanese, and i can't handle straight up milk without puking. and dairy products in general make my throat phlegmy and it makes my face break out. like i said, adult humans are not meant to consume milk

there's a reason why a woman stops lactating at a certain point. biologically, we mammals are just not meant to consume milk past a certain point in our developments. "what about calcium?" you ask? calcium is easy to obtain from a myriad of different sources, including many vegetables

15. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Northern Europeans are most lactose tolerant, the rest of the world seems to have evolved without milk. As for the necessity of milk ... humans eat snails, lobster, tiger dick, snake, insects, octopus, fungus, mold ... milk seems pretty innocent (unless you don't have the enzymes to digest it).

16. D_Maurice Mountlilly

D_Maurice Mountlilly Account Disabled

if it's lactose your body can't handle..try almond milk,it's great!!

17. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Are gay men who do not like boobies lactose intolerant? That was a really bad joke, I know, but I couldn't resist. Sorry.... :rolleyes:

18. Meniscus

Gold Member

I haven't had tiger dick in ages...

19. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, it is true that Northern Europeans tolerate milk best (Germans, Dutch, Brits, Scandinavians, Poles, Czechs, Russians, etc).

I love milk, but not that anything is not good in excess. :wink:

20. Pandora77

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I am half austrian and half czech and still can not handle pure milk too well. Hmmmmmmmmm? :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted