Millvina Dean Passes and Takes An Age With Her

She was 9 weeks old on April 15, 1912 and died today.

Tonight, for the first time since she sailed, Titanic will rest with all her passengers and crew.

Bon voyage Miss Dean!

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There was one thing in the article that brought a smile to my face:
She began selling some of her Titanic-related mementoes to raise funds, and in April a canvas bag from her rescue was sold at auction raising £1,500.It was bought by a man from London who immediately returned it to her.
I think this good act is a sign that this is one part of history that won't soon be forgotten.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"Millvina Dean, the last survivor of the Titanic disaster, has died at the age of 97. Miss Dean was just nine weeks old when the historic liner sank in 1912.

She died in the early hours of Saturday morning after being cared for at a Southampton nursing home.

Elizabeth Gladys Dean, known to friends as Millvina, was born on February 2, 1912 and boarded the doomed ship with her parents Bertram Frank and Georgette Eva and her elder brother Bertram.

Members of the family, all third class passengers, were emigrating to Wichita, Kansas, where her father had hoped to open a tobacconist shop."

Last Titanic survivor dies, aged 97 - Yahoo! News UK

A shame she didn't make the centennial.

B_Artful Dodger

Experimental Member
Media
It is sad that the Titanic is no longer living history... but you cant complain gettin to 97! :eek: (especially as she was lucky to get passed 9 weeks, being 3rd class).
The last passengers with memories of the event died in the 90's so she was more of an artifact than a conscious observer. However this news is still very sad :frown2:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Really, what is sad about this?
Every light would eventually wink out until all the Titanic passengers were gone.
Life has taken her from the erection to the resurrection, in the process doing what life does.
Living to be 97, with poor health marking only the last three years, ain't so bad.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
True Senor, but it's so definitive lol. There is something about the Titanic that keeps me and a lot of others busy. So if the last known survivor is dead, you notice and end of an era. That was an era were industry had power, that human was unstoppable and could make everything. With the sinkig of Titanic, dreams got lost and people became aware that they didn't rule everything.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
True Senor, but it's so definitive lol. There is something about the Titanic that keeps me and a lot of others busy. So if the last known survivor is dead, you notice and end of an era. That was an era were industry had power, that human was unstoppable and could make everything. With the sinkig of Titanic, dreams got lost and people became aware that they didn't rule everything.

Ah, I getcha, Piet.
The sinking of the Titanic was a really good thing because it opened our eyes to a lot of our delusions and enhanced our wisdom right smartly.

I think you might be right.

Other ships have gone down, other disasters taken far more lives.

It is not good that Titanic sank no matter what lessons we might learn from it. That Night to Remember stole 1,517 lives due to negligence, social injustice, greed, bad luck, and not a little stupidity.

Titanic
is the tragic romance of Icarus told in modern verse. That's why it resonates beyond all other disasters in our ability to identify with it.

D_Cock_Hudson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It is the end of an era as it was one of the most remembered events of the early part of the 20th century, before the first world war. When someone gets to 96 or 97 there is the mixture of fond memories of someone who had a long life, and the sadness they didn't make 100.