Mindset while Naked???

Sihobin: This might seem like a weird question but, What is your mindset while you are naked around others. I have read countless posts of people being naked in front of others in the locker room, siblings, parents, total strangers, etc. From my previous topics youll see I am attempting to overcome my shyness of this topic. In my circle of friends I have seen not one of them naked, ever. Nor have they seen me, but like in my previous post underwear has never been a problem for me, or them. Im wondering what goes through your mind when youre naked, no matter if youre hung like a horse, average, or kinda smallish. Does it make a difference in your mindset if the veiwee is a sibling, parent, close friend, significant other? Being involved in the professional realm that I am (Psychology) this intrests me both on a professional level, and a personal one. If I can get a general idea of the mindset of those people who are comfortable naked, and the people they do it in front of, maybe I can use that as a basis for my own "therapy".

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
My mindset would depend on the situation I'm in.

You know as well as I do that there's a big difference between how you feel about being naked on the way to the shower, versus being naked on your way to the bed to hook up with a hot girl or an attractive man. There's a nudist attitude after a gym workout, when drunk and thinking of streaking through your local territory, and a nudity, if anything else, to cool off on a hot as hell summer day in your own home.

So I propose looking at nudist attitude and psychology on a continuum of [seriousness]. Less "serious" times include bathing, undressing in front of peers; correspondingly, if I'm in those types of situations I'm not really worried or anxious about my body, my appearance, or trying to make an impression on others. I'm goal-oriented. Whether I'm bathing privately or at the gym locker room, I'm just there to wash up.

But here's a twist. Being a well-endowed guy, my dick may or may not get attention from the patrons, depending on what I do to show or diminish its presence. But I'm too relaxed to get stressed over such stuff; if someone says anything regarding it, I stay nonchalant. No need to get worked up over something of no importance, right?

So, this becomes a second criterion with which to gauge where on the [seriousness] scale your interactions/mindset fall. You sound like you have your fair share of anxieties/concerns about nudity, and as it follows, situations that might be -- for better word, a one or two out of a serious scale of 10 -- might be a 4-5-or more to you.

Dag: [quote author=DeeBlackthorne link=board=relationships;num=1057984834;start=0#1 date=07/11/03 at 22:05:37]My mindset would depend on the situation I'm in.

You know as well as I do that there's a big difference between how you feel about being naked on the way to the shower, versus being naked on your way to the bed to hook up with a hot girl or an attractive man.  There's a nudist attitude after a gym workout, when drunk and thinking of streaking through your local territory, and a nudity, if anything else, to cool off on a hot as hell summer day in your own home.

So I propose looking at nudist attitude and psychology on a continuum of [seriousness].  Less "serious" times include bathing, undressing in front of peers; correspondingly, if I'm in those types of situations I'm not really worried or anxious about my body, my appearance, or trying to make an impression on others.  I'm goal-oriented.  Whether I'm bathing privately or at the gym locker room, I'm just there to wash up.

But here's a twist.  Being a well-endowed guy, my dick may or may not get attention from the patrons, depending on what I do to show or diminish its presence.  But I'm too relaxed to get stressed over such stuff; if someone says anything regarding it, I stay nonchalant.  No need to get worked up over something of no importance, right?

So, this becomes a second criterion with which to gauge where on the [seriousness] scale your interactions/mindset fall.  You sound like you have your fair share of anxieties/concerns about nudity, and as it follows, situations that might be -- for better word, a one or two out of a serious scale of 10 -- might be a 4-5-or more to you.
[/quote]

Dee, I feel exactly the same way!
I must say that you and DMW have a way with words! The both of you have this amazing way of writing down your thoughts in a most expressive and visual manner. I'm totally envious!!  I hope when reading my posts you guys don't feel that I'm an idiot. I am Dyslexic (long story) which in the long run has caused many problems with reading (of course) and my writting. Sorry, i'm getting a bit 'out of topic' here.

So, back to the topic on hand. 'Mindset while Naked'. For me, it all depends on the situation I'm in. Back when I was going to bath houses in San Fran, being nude was ok and mandatory!! (Oh Lawdy!). When I'm at the gym, I simply don't care about walking around naked in the locker room. I'm there for one reason, to work out! Who cares if they look at my red bush (which many do) and large man-bits.

Cheers - Dag

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i've responded on the board many times,
that i am one of the modest guys...
i wish i could feel more comfortable being
naked in social situations...well, erm...i mean...
outside of a sexual situation.

I"ve always suspected it came from my family
who were overly modest.

i'm not ashamed of my body or anything like
that, i just did not grow up with the wonderful
freedom that some on the board did...
At this point, i suppose my modesty is self imposed,
and i could do something about it.

i'm getting better...
being able to post pics of myself, etc...
and i've promised myself that the next skinny dip,
or nude beach situation that crops up...
i'm ready.

SpeedoGuy: Not much modesty here at all. I've never been uncomfortable with nudity of myself or others. I don't much care who the viewee is.

I agree with the 'seriousness' concept. It works.

Why? Because I can control the circumstances under which nudity might occur and if I sense something amiss (too serious) then I just don't participate. Such circumstances have been rare though. Much more often it has been 'not serious' events such as (besides with a sex partner) hot tub parties with both friends and strangers, spontaneous coed skinny dipping, some co-ed nude sunbathing (be careful of sunburn!) with just a few friends, and some co-ed streaking/exhibition episodes that happened during a few summers of my teen years. Even a nude volleyball game.

Naked, I'm a decent enough looking guy. I work out and watch what I eat so I don't feel that I have much shame about my bod.  Besides, I have something most other guys don't have...so there's another reason not to be self conscious. Let people look if they want to. Mind you, I don't flaunt nudity, however, when I am nude I certainly don't mind the women to look and am not offended if some of the men do to. LOL.

The only time I can remember feeling self conscious was during some of the co-ed streaking/exibition episodes when I sported major wood that I just couldn't supress. I was nervous but couldn't back out gracefully so I just plunged into it. To my relief, rather than earning me ridicule the size of my wood ended up making me more confident about myself because it was viewed as a popular item of interest at a time when everyone was revealing everything (and some of the other participants turned out to be more exhibitionist than I was). In any case, I suspect these episodes contributed to some of the other events I have written about on this board.

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
Modest here as well.

And, my degree of being "comfortable" around others indeed depends upon the circumstances.

The more familiar the surroundings (and the people around me), the easier.

I've been known to opt NOT to undress (or even go into a public restroom!) if I detect "vibes" which make me feel the least bit ill at ease..for whatever reason.

throb919: Situation-based here, too. Have never really been shy but am modest when and where it's appropriate to be modest. That said, I did model nude for figure drawing classes in college; did it the first time on a dare (sort-of) from my figure drawing instructor. (Too much to get into here, but she had complimented my definition and said I should try it...) It was pretty uncomfortable at first, but there was no danger of uh...rising to the occasion; it was very sterile and "clinical." The only embarrassment to come from it was meeting one of the female students later at a party and her remarking too loudly that she "didn't recognize me with my clothes on." (Posing actually helped my own drawing ability; I could "feel" the pose I was viewing and render it better.)

At my first nude beach (Zandvoort), I kept my suit on until I started feeling uncomfortable by being dressed when everyone else was naked. So--when in Rome (or in this case: The Netherlands)...! Am now pretty comfortable at nude beaches, but don't get much opportunity (in North Carolina.)

At the gym, I'm a wrap-a-towel-around-me-on-the-way-to-and-from-the-showers kind-of guy where lots of the guys at my gym make that trek with their towel over their shoulders.

Am comfortable naked in sexual or might-be-sexual environments (hottub parties, baths, sexclubs). But I think I'm more comfortable naked in front of strangers in non-sexual situations (beaches and even the drawing classes). Can't imagine going to a nude beach with good (non-sexual) friends or < gulp > family!

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I grew up involved in sports, so nudity in the locker room was natural. I shared a bedroom with two older brothers, so nudity around family was inevitable. Nudity in a non-sexual context never phased me. I simply see nudity as being appropriate in some situations, so when I find myself in these situations, my naked body is not out of place and I'm not embarassed.

And then there's work. Okay, so I make a living showing off my winkie. It is a sexually charged atmosphere, and I'm not going to pretend it's not. Whether dancing or posing for photos, it is intentional exhibitionism. But I am able to distance myself from it. I know the audience is checking out the package, but there's no emotional conection with them, so it's no source of embarassment for me. I know that an hour after I finish dancing half of the patrons won't recognise my face; I encounter that all the time. All of my brothers have caught at least one of my shows, and I have watched my oldest brother dance as well. I'm comfortable with it. If I weren't, I chose the wrong job!

However, people are different. What seems natural to me might not apply to someone else. There are those who are going to be shy and modest about their bodies regardless of the situation, and that's fine. If you're not comfortable with people viewing your naked body, then don't force yourself. Why cause yourself unnecessary discomfort? Hoever, if you do feel the need to face your demons, who knows? You might find out that you were all worked up over nothng!

fitdude: Lots of good sensible talk here, guys. Thanks.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I don't think I've ever given it much thought, so today when I finished my swim at the indoor community pool downtown, I paid attention to my feelings as I was nude in the sauna, shower and locker room.

I think I'm more relaxed, more observant and more empathetic when I'm naked. Sitting in the sauna with as many as ten or eleven other males, our conversations take on a muted, intimate quality due to the acoustics and relaxing atmosphere. Some talk is business, some is sports, but mostly it's about family.

It's a small town so we generally know each other and, regardless of social status, seeing oneanother at other places, we're more likely to stop and say 'Hi' and shake hands than, say, more casual acquaintences might.

I did think of a funny thing, this afternoon. Only those who've been there would know what you mean if you describe a guy to a friend this way: 'Aw, you know who I'm talking about - he's the bank vice-president: the tall guy with the big brown mole on his nutsack!"

:D

Javierdude22: I come from a family where being naked in front of eachother...is kinda a no-no. My dad however is the off note in that story, he walks around naked just as easy at home as on a beach. I didnt inherit that from him.

I dont like showering in communal showers, i would almost rather not shirtless even, not intentionally, but i just dont feel comfortable. But when im having sex, im fine with nudity. Usually cause by then i know that person so well, that i am perfectly fine with it.

Max

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=Javierdude23 link=board=relationships;num=1057984834;start=0#10 date=07/14/03 at 10:57:37]But when im having sex, im fine with nudity. Usually cause by then i know that person so well, that i am perfectly fine with it.[/quote]

Good to hear that, Javier! Sex with someone you don't want to be nude with could be a problem ;)

Javierdude22: Lol...well...uhm....yeah, so...never tried it with your clothes on!?!? ;D < sweat > ...its the bomb in Holland!!..

Ok, so im enrolling for metaphysics 101, and Comprehensive writing...busy semester...

brad2002: I love being naked. When I'm in the locker room or skinny dipping with some guys it feels very natural. I like the feeling of not hiding myself from other people, especially when I'm with my friends. And, of course, i like the attention my dick often gets. I prefer not to be naked with women unless it's with a girlfriend.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I have to admit that ever since I opted to sleep naked more often, that my natural comfort with nudity has increased accordingly. Granted, I still jump for the nearest pair of boxer briefs in case one of my roommates barges in -- they have a habit of doing that, the fuckers -- but whenever I'm in the clear, I usually let it all hang out. It's especially comfortable with an unpredictable A/C in the summer.

I guess it still begs the question. How comfortable can I be if I'm jumping for boxer briefs?

I've had my girl roommate urge me to put some clothes on; of course, she's the same bitch who prefers to kick back on the couch in her bra and panties, legs spread, and her hand resting on or near her crotch. (And you know, it wouldn't be a big deal -- to each her own -- but I don't find her attractive in the least bit!) I usually tell her to fuck off.

Carefree on the fringe of considerate, I guess I am.

aussiechick63: I was bought up in a home that was a no go zone for anything naked or sexual etc. Discussion wasn't part of life either. No period talk or sex talk or anything on the real facts of life.

It did make me prudish for a very long time. I am now finally coming to terms with my sexuality etc. I know now it's not dirty to enjoy sex. I guess I'm trying to make up for lost time too.

But I still find it very daunting to take my clothes off around a male. Once I have done it a few times I am ok with it.

I have brought my kids up to be open about sex and sexuality and I obviously have no problems being naked around them or vice versa. They are both girls which does make it a lot easier.

It's such a shame our parents hangups are passed onto their kids.

D_Cock_Hudson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My mindset is much the same as when clothed, except perhaps more relaxed given I'm not at work, rushing about etc. Nudity for me is only when in a sauna, swim, beach or having sex, so that may help explain it.

Interesting question. I feel very comfortable being naked in the locker room, sauna, steam room and open shower at my gym. I also sleep in the nude as well. I feel very relaxed when I'm naked. It's a feeling of liberation and freedom for me. I also find that other guys are easier going in the same situation in the gym locker room. I have had some pretty amazing conversations with other guys - even guys I just met when we were naked together in the shower, sauna and steam room. I think most guy's guard, bravado and B.S. goes down when they are naked around their peers because of the vulnerability factor of being naked. I have commented many times on many threads about how I don't understand the younger generation in reagrds to their attitudes about nudity. I don't think they realize that they are robbing themselves of an amazing bonding experience. The "coldest" gyms that I have used are always the gyms that offer the ultra privacy to their members, and have very strict rules about nudity in the sauna and steam room. Nobody talks to each other, and the atmosphere (inside and outside of the locker room - especially on the gym floor) is very unfriendly and hostile. The friendliest gyms that I have used have open showers and where the rules regarding nudity in the sauna and steam room are not that strict.

One of the fondest memories I have of my fraternity days in university was when my brothers and I visited another chapter house for a road trip. As usual, the brothers of the other chapter were very hospitable even though we had just met for the first time. As the night wore on and after we had all downed quite a bit of beer from the keg, some of the guys got naked and jumped into the hot tub in the basement. They asked me to join them and I did. We were all sitting in the hot tub completely naked (back then if anyone had dared worn a swimsuit or underwear in the hot tub they would have been mocked and ridiculed relentlessly), drinking beer and shooting the shit. Man what a great experience. It was nothing sexual, just a really cool bonding experience. Guys who say they are afraid of getting a hard on have never sat in a hot tub for over an hour drinking beer. I don't think I could have gotten hard if a Playboy playmate offered to sit on my face after that!

lorne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Im and exhibionist but Im not interested in demeaning anyone or outwardly waving my self in front of people. I have do that yes but generally just knowing Im naked and that someone is probably looking is enough to get me excited. I dont think getting a hard on in a change room is really appropriate and I don't go there to get one. I like to secretly size up other people out of interest, why not if they're naked. Being naked at a party though is different, your doing that so others will see you I wont try and stop an erection but certainly dont want it waving around getting in the way. I like to play it cool, if your the biggest there everyone will know, you dont have to tell everyone. Mostly I just like the rush of being naked around other people since it normally is something that occurs, esp with women.

allun

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I feel comfortable showing all I have to others
Infact I make sure I take time and try to look natural so am an exhibitionist in the company of others