Mine That Bird, 135th Kentucky Derby Winner!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mine That Bird, 135th Kentucky Derby Winner!

To call the result of the Kentucky Derby an upset doesn't begin to explain what happened Saturday at Churchill Downs when a 53-1 shot named Mine That Bird romped home by 6 3/4 lengths. This was a lot more than an upset; it was the most inconceivable result in the 135-year history of the race. An impossibility, that's what this was. Paying $103.20 to win, Mine That Bird produced the second highest payoff in Derby history, but one can argue that he was a huge underlay at that price. The horse should have been 200-1 or 300-1 or somewhere in that neighborhood. He wasn't only because there are enough people out there who bet their favorite numbers, their address or a name that catches their fancy. There are probably some rich ornithologists out there right now.
That Bird was winless in two starts this year, failing in a pair of fourth-rate Derby prep races in New Mexico. His best Beyer figure coming into the race was an 81. His last race was 24 points slower than the last race of race favorite Friesan Fire. Friesan Fire finished 18th. The horse Mine That Bird will be compared to is Donerail, the 1913 winner who holds the record for biggest Derby payoff ever. I can't tell you why that horse was 91-1, but he did run second in the Blue Grass in what I assume was his final Kentucky Derby prep. That's a lot more impressive than finishing fourth in the Sunland Derby, which is how Mine That Bird warmed up for his Derby.
I knew when I saw them trying to get rid of the puddles on the track that it would take a mudder to win. I just had no idea which horse that would be. :redface: I chose Chocolate Candy to win cause I thought the name was cute. :tongue: Thank God I didn't place a real bet. :biggrin1:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I host a party every year, and ran the book... 50+ bets... only one winner for a Place... thanks to that Forrest Gump of a pony.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I host a party every year, and ran the book... 50+ bets... only one winner for a Place... thanks to that Forrest Gump of a pony.
Forrest Gump? :confused: :irked: He ran a damned good race! It's not like he just eaked out a win by a nose, as many past winners have done. That pony won by almost 7 lengths. Hell, the jockey had time to wave his crop at his fiancee. :biggrin1:

Personally, I LOVE it when an underdog or never was comes out on top. :cool: