Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Im not such an absolutist as yourself. We could afford it if we wanted. But like lots of nice things, it is a luxury not a necessity. I have never been convinced that if you increase the percentage going to university from 30% to 50%, then 20% of the british population will suddenly start earning more. Maybe that educated 20% will now earn more than they would have, but only at the expense of a different 20% who will now not get the better jobs because, on paper qualifications, the ones with degrees do better at interview. No gain for the country there. And then, will a candidate with a degree really do better during his career compared to a candidate who is just as clever and capable but does not have that degree. For some things the actual knowledge from the degree is important, but for most it is not.

If I had enough money going spare to send an extra 20% of the population to university for 3 years, I would spend it on something else. I dont know how the numbers compare, but primary and secondary education in this country is pathetic. Now, didnt we used to have more colleges and polytechnics which did short courses in all sorts of useful things?

Min wage has gone up 13p this month, to £5.93 ph for over 21s, lol.