Minimum Wage

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was making a little more than minimum wage a little less than two years ago. I was a member of this site at that time. I worked at the GAP. I was actually the highest paid non-managerial employee in my branch...which was funny to me since I was only getting $8.25/hr. Now I'm a designer and I make almost double that and double the hours.

I made $2.90 an hour (state minimum wage - federal was $3.35) for about 2.5 years until I was 18. They gave me the minimum wage increase because I turned 18, to $3.25. I worked about 40 hours that pay period and they split out the wage increase to before I turned 18 and after. I was so stupid, I never even asked for a raise?

I went to college in a small town of 17,000 with 7000 college students and I tell you, you were lucky to find a job. You did not ask how much it paid, because you know it paid minimum

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am not pretending to be a pro at economics, however, I can tell you two things I know to be sure.

CA, HI, and NY are the most expensive places to live in the US.. how do I know?
<...>
Food is more expensive in HI than ANYWHERE I have seen, and I have been A LOT of places.
I was just going on the link you provided. It actually did list DC as 48th, not NY state. But as I mentioned, the figures are a little misleading, as NYC is much more expensive than Buffalo, and Arlington VA is much much much more expensive than Blacksburg.

I know that HI has the most expensive groceries, I've been told that too many times, and it makes sense. If it's not the locally grown stuff, it has to be shipped a LONG way.

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
DC, that is a large nut every month. Obviously he makes great money. I know good or great money is relative terms but even here in nebraska, good money is $100K a year and $250K is great money.

You can buy a house here in certain parts of the city for $20K, but you will not like the gun play. My house is a traditional 2 story colonial with a brick front and two car garage with a nice lot worth about $275K.

275k for a house???
hahahaha must be nice...
you can eat my ass...
I am jealous..
that is a mortgage payment of 14-1600 a month..
hahaha

when I was visiting my dad in wisconson homes were like 300k for a nice old victorian... I was crapping my pants.. I thought of moving there, but I know from experience that I don't dig the cold cold winters...

try this on for size.
PING PANG BITCH!

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Shelby, again, I'm going to ask, why are you doing this? You are starting to tread the line of trolling. I cannot imagine any other reason you would post this (and your previous "controversial link") other than to stir up discontent. What is it with you and posting the gay links lately?

Trolling? By posting a link with no value judgement involved?

The discontent doesn't come from me.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Apparently, even with the increases in minimum wage over the years, it's actually decreased in an economical sense. When compared to the average cost-of-living in the US, the minimum wage in the mid-50s was comparable to the $9-per-hour range in today's economy.
And yeh, $16 may be just over a living wage in California, but in most of the southeast, it can be enough for two people to live decently off of. Does that mean we have it easier here? No, not at all. It actually makes it difficult to climb the salary ladder. A $1/hr raise, in most jobs here, is actually something to celebrate, even though that only comes out to ~$2,000/yr more. Since it's possible to live off a relatively low salary (as compared to the rest of the nation), the ceiling is set pretty low as well. Minimal money circulating in the area and whatnot.
That's probably why a lot of this region has been advertising for tourism so much more adamantly in the past few years, but that's getting tangential.

Back on topic though, even though I'm working fulltime and making enough to live off of, I've picked up a second job so I can save up money towards moving to a more prosperous and opportunity-enriched area.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Trolling? By posting a link with no value judgement involved?

The discontent doesn't come from me.
Let me rephrase that.

Why did you feel compelled to bring sexual orientation into the discussion about wages/minimum wage? I'm wondering where they did their "market research." I was never offered the opportunity to participate in their surveys.