Mining disaster followup.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by avalonlovelove, Aug 9, 2007.

1. avalonlovelove

avalonlovelove New Member

They have concurred over the news and internet that they have found two bodies in the mine.How sad.:frown1: I hope people are not going to take offense to this like everything else.I have tried to do better.1:I have tried to write in a more clear and concise manner.2:I have not cussed in this post one time.Hopefully this is a good start.:biggrin1:

2. camper joe

Gold Member

Well I think the out look for the miners does look bleak.

As for your writing style, clean and concise questions and statements are aways appreciated.

3. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    It Truly is sad.

Its a dirty rotten shame that these energy conglomorates can't spend a few more dollars on worker safety so that people can do mining safely, rather than just give them basic support supplies and expect it to be all fine and dandy.

This isn't new news, and it's not old. What's sad to me, is that the corp's are putting the mighty dollar first, and people second.

4. viking1

Gold Member

Just as the rich have always done...

5. B_henry miller

B_henry miller New Member

Sad. It's hard to believe anyone will work these jobs. But I guess someone has to.

6. zgrog2000

zgrog2000 New Member

While it is too bad that the mine collapsed with miners trapped inside, it isn't the fault of the company or the owners. The miners know the risk and someone doesn't have to do it. They chose to do it. If safety was a primary concern the miners would refuse to work until engineering/safety/etc improved. This would result in either improved conditions or replacement by people who were not as concerned. its a shame when fireman die in fires, when soldiers die in war, when sailors drown, when astronauts blow up, when pilots crash, when race car drivers crash into walls a die, and when people fall off ladders.

The arguement that the collapse was caused by "energy conglomerate greed" can be applied to the miners as well. They accepted the job based on monetary compensation.

7. avalonlovelove

avalonlovelove New Member

I am sorry people but I made a mistake.Thankfully they have not found two bodies yet.Hoperfully they won't.I made my mistake while I was looking at two stories.They said they have recovered two more bodies in that horrible bridge collapse last week.Sorry for the mistake.Pray for both though.Hopefully there will be some survivors in the mine.:wink: :eek: :smile:

8. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

While yes it is true the miners know the risks of this job it is most certainly the fault of the greedy owners Do some research and you will learn that the owners do not take proper steps to make the mines as safe as is possible.

9. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Sometimes the owners do take short cuts to save money. With rent due and hungry children you wont refuse work.

I did hear on the news earlier that they have listening equipment set up and do not hear any movement and presume all to be dead.

10. viking1

Gold Member

In some ways I agree. I would love to see workers refuse to work in all unsafe jobs. That won't happen. People work under unsafe conditions every day. Why? Most don't really have much choice. Most can't pick when or where they will work. That's just not the real world.

The greed of the rich drives conditions for workers the world over.
    It always has and always will.

11. Principessa

Gold Member

Unfortunately coal miners have always gotten short shrift. :frown1: Not just from their employers but from society in general. If every coal mine in the United States went on strike we'd be screwed. They would have us by the short hairs.

12. cantona

cantona New Member

Albums:
    My father was a coal miner in Lanacashire, England. He died aged 60 in 1989 from asbestosis, which he contracted in the mines from (not surprisingly) asbestos which was commonly used as a fire retardant in brake linings. My mother (mum to 5 kids) received about £4,500 compensation (less than $9,000). njqt466 is right miners have always had a crap deal and the myth that they were all big earners in UK working class communities, is just that, a myth. Am I bitter? No just sad, thats the way of the world and rich men at the top get a kings ransom for f*****g up their jobs.
    Yours sincerely, a one time working class hero (not)
    ps you get more than that these days for minor whiplash-I'm not bitter!

13. cantona

cantona New Member

Albums:
    Sorry i missed the pearls of wisdom from zgrog2000. the miners are to blame for taking a wage. i assume that the principle of caveat emptor applies and the mine owners/corp are exonerated? nice one! see me in the playground mr fairplay

Draft saved Draft deleted