Minnesota Senator

Discussion in 'Politics' started by faceking, Nov 5, 2008.

1. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Wow..... wow. 100% of precincts in, and Franken is down by 500 votes. Surely a recount, and lawsuits, and voter fraund and voter intimidation.

Odd, how when it doesn't make a difference, not much of a peep.

2. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

They're too nice in Minnesota for that stuff. They'll just ask for a recount and get one. It's that close, I think. Any Gopher Staters here?

3. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Eh, there was a lot of money invested. Both sides will be on top of this.

4. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    For Norm Coleman to snag this seat after Wellstone's plane went down is a fucking travesty. Paul Wellstone was an amazing man... Norm Coleman couldn't even carry his luggage. Franken needs to fight this.

Norm Coleman is such a douchenozzle, I hate that SOB.

5. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Of all the races fought and won this time around, an Al Franken victory is one I wouldn't accept. He is a vile, hard-left asshole.

6. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    They'll have an answer in December, when the recount process finishes.

7. D_Marazion Analdouche

QTF!

8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    It's been months now. Aren't you done whining yet? God knows if you'd won last night you'd have shut up. Oh, no, that's right. We'd be listening to you gloat, which is another especially charming trait in people.

9. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmmm... can we say that this website is virtually free from the Obama supporters' gloating? I think that we can... we are all gracious winners. :smile:

10. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

+1 I have yet to read anything gratuitous or attacking from anyone pro Obama. In fact, most just seem in the moment and happy/satisfied/whatever. :shrug:

11. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think most states have automatic recounts under certain circumstances. Such as the top two candidates being within 1% or 0.5% of each other. If a candidate requests a recount then they have to pay for it.

12. mindseye

Gold Member

First lawsuit in the Minnesota Senate race: Norm Coleman.

13. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    Also a typical GOP lawsuit: don't count the votes! The more votes you count, the worse it gets for the GOP. That top 1% and their cheerleaders can only cast so many ballots.

Not that I am partisan. I'm just pissed at what they have done to the US for the past 40 years, at the country's expense. Talk about a silly, self-indulgent, narcissistic joy-ride.

14. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Of course not.

15. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

If the difference in a political contest is only by 500 votes, then a recount makes common sense. That's regardless of who won or lost. Quite honestly, I think it's pretty funny that a comedian can get this close to a seat in the senate. Not that I ever expected Franken to actually win this thing, but if the contest is this close then it only makes sense to double check.

If anything for Norm Coleman's sake. I don't think it would look good on his resumé if he lost to a comedian. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

16. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    I heard yesterday that the "undercount" in MN was something like 25k. This means 25,000 ballots counted for a presidential choice that did not have a choice for senator. Hard to imagine that in a motivated place like MN you'd have people with no opinion and no choice for senator.

So the recount is clearly called for. Coleman certainly doesn't want it, since a higher count is not likely to favor him. Something does smell fishy about an under count that large.

17. mindseye

Gold Member

The recount ended this afternoon. There were no serious allegations of voter fraud or voter intimidation; the lawsuits have been over the disposition of absentee and overseas military ballots. The recount was the most transparent recount I've ever witnessed -- a model that other states should follow. Every ballot in the entire state that was run through a machine was reviewed locally by a panel of three people: a member of the board of elections, and one representative each from the Franken and Coleman campaigns. Any ballot for which there was not unanimous agreement by all three reviewers was sent to a five-member canvassing board consisting of the Secretary of State, two justices of the Minnesota Supreme Court, and two district court justices. At the five-member canvassing board, EVERY disputed ballot was displayed publicly on a large overhead projector (and streamed live over the web so that anyone could watch) while the board moved, seconded, and voted on the disposition of that ballot.

18. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

According to television news here in NM Al Franken is supposedly to be decalared the winner tomorrow January 05, 2009. The news report stated that Franken took the election by some 200 votes. His opponent again according to a local news broadcast, is filing for another recount.

I do not know if this is good or bad for MN, but we will see tomorrow if the story pans out........

Franken is a brilliant man, and, though I do not agree with his viewpoint on a great number of issues, his real evaluation will be in the performance and service he provides for the State of Minnesota

What will he title his memoirs in a few years? From one comedy to another?

#18 FuzzyKen, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  19. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:

Find all my gloating posts in 2004... i was here ya prick.

20. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:

Curious if you find it odd that the 3 counties they basically pulled from... Franken got more votes than all Democratic candidates in other positions combined??? Ppl tend to vote on party lines (especially this year, and especially in states like Minnesota).
    While thousands of ballots sit un-re-evaluated.
    Me thinks the Franken bulldogs fought a tougher fight than Colemans'.

Draft saved Draft deleted