mirena coil

zaza

Experimental Member
Media
Is there anyone here got any experience of this device, either as someoe who has one fitted, or having sex with someone that has one fitted?

It has been recomended that I have one of these fitted for medical rather than contraceptive reasons. I`ve read all the information leaflets and it does seem like a good idea.

All the info says that it can not usualy be felt by your partner during sex, and that if it can it can be adjusted. As my boyfriend is very large I am particularly concerned that he may be more likely to feel it during sex than more average size men, as usual in all things medical penis size is never mentioned. I`m also interested to know if anyone has used condoms with this device fitted, from the point of view of safer sex.

I know at the end of the day there is no answer to my questions, I really have to try it and see whar happens. However I would like to hear from anyone with personal experience, particularly if this personal experience was affected by size issues.

Thanks.

va_lk_yr_ie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've had one fitted for the past two years, also for medical rather than contraceptive reasons (although the added contraception is a good bonus for me even if I use condoms with the people I see - good back-up to have in case there is an 'oops').

Using condoms with it fitted - absolutely no problems. I've done so for the period it's been in and I've never had a condom break - not because of the Mirena. In fact never had a condom break at all - neither before, nor after it was fitted.

Being felt during sex. Now that can be a different story... Depends on the size of the guy, how the threads are positioned that day (they move slightly, both depending on where the cervix is in correlation to where you are in the cycle and as a result of your movements) and what position you're using.

Ex-partner at about 6x5 never felt them - regardless of position and what we were doing. One lover at roughly 8x6 did feel them the one time we had sex without a condom - mostly in positions where he could enter very deeply. That same lover does not feel them when we use a condom, even in the same positions where he felt them without.

I also have good friends where she has a Mirena fitted and he's measuring in at about 7x6.5 (yes, I know his size because they're a couple I play with - friends from our swinging day). He feels her threads from time to time - he's never felt mine the times we've been together - always using a condom in this case too.

So, from those experiences I'd say. Yes, it's possible for a larger guy to feel the threads, especially if sex is without a condom. I know the threads can be trimmed in length to a certain extent - best to start out with them fairly long and then get them trimmed down if they cause problems.

zaza

Experimental Member
Media
I've had one fitted for the past two years, also for medical rather than contraceptive reasons (although the added contraception is a good bonus for me even if I use condoms with the people I see - good back-up to have in case there is an 'oops').

Using condoms with it fitted - absolutely no problems. I've done so for the period it's been in and I've never had a condom break - not because of the Mirena. In fact never had a condom break at all - neither before, nor after it was fitted.

Being felt during sex. Now that can be a different story... Depends on the size of the guy, how the threads are positioned that day (they move slightly, both depending on where the cervix is in correlation to where you are in the cycle and as a result of your movements) and what position you're using.

Ex-partner at about 6x5 never felt them - regardless of position and what we were doing. One lover at roughly 8x6 did feel them the one time we had sex without a condom - mostly in positions where he could enter very deeply. That same lover does not feel them when we use a condom, even in the same positions where he felt them without.

I also have good friends where she has a Mirena fitted and he's measuring in at about 7x6.5 (yes, I know his size because they're a couple I play with - friends from our swinging day). He feels her threads from time to time - he's never felt mine the times we've been together - always using a condom in this case too.

So, from those experiences I'd say. Yes, it's possible for a larger guy to feel the threads, especially if sex is without a condom. I know the threads can be trimmed in length to a certain extent - best to start out with them fairly long and then get them trimmed down if they cause problems.

Thans for the detailed reply, so in your case a partner feeling the threads is an occasional nuisance really, not a real problem. Does it bother them at all?

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've had a mirena coil for about four years, I got it for contraception purposes but it does have the very welcome side effect of stopping your periods. I had it fitted one week, my period was due the next week but it had an immediate effect on them, the period after insertion was merely spotting and since that one I haven't even had spotting, although I believe a lot of women with a mirena coil do continue to have light spotting. I have to be honest, it hurts like hell to have it in, first they sort of measure the depth of your uterus with a sounding device to be sure they're inserting the device correctly, then it hurts again when they insert the coil BUT it's over in a few seconds and then it's plain sailing, you may have cramping for a while after insertion, I didn't and neither did a friend, you will bleed lightly for a few days but after that it's brilliant. The mirena is much much better than the coils I had previously.
The partners I've had did occasionally feel the thread (sort of an insect biting feeling they said) and ungainly as it looks you can just reach in and push the string to another position (I'm relatively shallow but it should be within reach)
For birth control purposes it's allegedly more effective than contraceptive pills but you do have to check your thread every month, it's not unknown for them to fall out although this usually happens just after insertion when your cervix is still fairly open. The tales of women getting pregnant while using a coil are generally down to them having lost their coil but not having realised it.

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've had the mirena IUD for three years. It's awesome. No periods, no "forgetting" a pill, or getting a shot. I'd reccomend it to anyone who could benefit from it.

As for your questions:

The "strings" can be felt sometimes, but they are not like wire or anything. I can feel mine when I finger myself on occasion. My BF says he can feel them with his cock if we are going hard and deep. If I had to describe it, I'd say it feels like a few pieces of fishing line, so no big deal. Never had a problem with a condom tearing either, because, like I said, it's just fine thread, not sharp.

Enjoy your worry free sex, and NO PERIODS. It really is a nice upgrade from the dreaded BC pill or other horrid contraceptives women have to deal with.