Misogyny and how to stop a friend going down a rabbit hole

ani4detal

Legendary Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
HI all. I've got a friend, in his 80's gay, retired. He's started watching all these youtube vids about how women now have too many rights etc. I don't know how to stop him going down this hole. He's always been a odd with women [I can smell when they are having their periods etc.]. Like a lot of old school gays, if he loves men, he doesn't like women. How can I help him? I just don't want him to live with all this hate. It is a reflection of him. He lives by himself and is very much alone. I think he now feels that he is part of this community. I just find it all very sad. Any advice much appreciated.

Reactions: ronin001

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Give him a copy of The Feminine Mystique. It's second wave feminism from the 1960s but it'd be a good place to start if he were to read (hopefully re-read) it. It'd remind him of the feminist movement which happened in his generation.

OR

Balance the misogynist social media blitz from one side with feminist social media from the other side by sending him links. Or else encourage him to stop watching. So much utube/social media content is just monetized click bait.

At the very least appeal to his sense of fairness to consider both sides.

You already know he's a pre-Boomer from the Silent Generation which means he was raised in a much more sexist world than Boomer/X/Millenial/Zers. Given his old school proclivities you have your work cut out for you. He might not be able to change.

Perhaps appeal to his own experience in the gay rights movement? The prejudice and avarice he experienced? Does he really want to be that way or even think that way with people who are different to he?

Take him out of the highly focused minutia to consider the big picture: gay rights, civil rights, women's rights, workers' rights, immigrant rights, educational rights, environmental rights, health care rights are all HUMAN rights.

He must have some softness in that old heart of his. That's where you get in. :heart:

Good luck. :)

ani4detal

Legendary Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Give him a copy of The Feminine Mystique. It's second wave feminism from the 1960s but it'd be a good place to start if he were to read (hopefully re-read) it. It'd remind him of the feminist movement which happened in his generation.

OR

Balance the misogynist social media blitz from one side with feminist social media from the other side by sending him links. Or else encourage him to stop watching. So much utube/social media content is just monetized click bait.

At the very least appeal to his sense of fairness to consider both sides.

You already know he's a pre-Boomer from the Silent Generation which means he was raised in a much more sexist world than Boomer/X/Millenial/Zers. Given his old school proclivities you have your work cut out for you. He might not be able to change.

Perhaps appeal to his own experience in the gay rights movement? The prejudice and avarice he experienced? Does he really want to be that way or even think that way with people who are different to he?

Take him out of the highly focused minutia to consider the big picture: gay rights, civil rights, women's rights, workers' rights, immigrant rights, educational rights, environmental rights, health care rights are all HUMAN rights.

He must have some softness in that old heart of his. That's where you get in. :heart:

Good luck. :)
Gosh, you are great!! thanks so much for this. You've given me lots to work with. I can't thank you enough. I just don't want him to leave this world full of hate hate hate.

Reactions: halcyondays