Misogyny in the workplace: What have you experienced or seen?

basincreek

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thankfully I've worked in mostly tolerant places and have not seen much of this myself. I did once have a boss that relentlessly hit on his inferiors which I would imagine is rather annoying. But he didn't last long.

I did once work in an office during swing shift where some of the men watched that crappy "The Man Show" on our office television which I always found extremely annoying. I don't know what the women there thought of it. Thank goodness Kimmel moved onto better things.

badgirl22

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was a product manager at a very male dominated high tech company. I was pregnant with my twins and my boss was always saying things like..."how lucky you get to have 12 weeks paid weeks off" I'd say technically it's only like 9 and he'd reply with if I got to have a c-section it would be a full 12. Ass.

I was the only female in my group of about 13 men. My engineering team was located in Israel. One day, again, pregnant with my twins, in a meeting with our entire group and the engineering team from Israel on conference call, my boss says, "We are in the presence of the original Jewish American Princess here (JAP) who is going to be lucky enough to be the first employee to take advantage of the 100% paid short term disability plan when she leaves to have babies. Who knows if she'll ever even come back." The whole place was in shock. Not only had he been an ass to me, he'd made a racial slur (and I'm not Jewish but the entire engineering team was!). The whole thing was made worse when he sent me an electronic greeting card saying we should forget that ever happened and just start over with a clean slate. I was pissed, not at the message, but by the fact I knew he'd never dream of sending an electronic greeting card to a male.

Though that was 11 years ago I believe Misogyny is still alive and well.

twrl_grl

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
One former boss threw out all the resumes from women. The asshole did not even look past the name on the resume to see if the woman had all the job skills. His excuse? "A woman just wouldn't fit into our department."