Misogyny unchallenged on LPSG?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by D_Tim McGnaw, Jun 20, 2010.

1. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

OK so disclaimers,

Not all men are misogynists, nor are misogynists necessarily more in evidence on LPSG than anywhere else.

However, this being a pretty male dominated site it might be useful to hear some of the female member's opinions about what they feel qualifies as misogynistic behaviour, especially for some of the more "unreconstructed" types around here. And perhaps my surmise is incorrect and female members feel that LPSG is more or indeed less packed with misogynists than RL.

I've personally read a fair few posts responding to female members which seemed to be motivated by a fairly anti-woman attitude, and relatively frequently read posts by male members who seem to think that being belittled and putting up with general hostility is the price female members should expect to pay for the honour of membership.

There's a good bit of gay male misogyny about too, and considering that many gay men rarely have to confront their attitudes about women it might be useful to describe instances of it so the gay members have an idea what counts as reflexively anti-woman.

Do men even realise that they may be thinking in misogynistic ways?

Oh and since there are also plenty of examples of male members who seem to have a positive and fair-minded attitude towards women perhaps some indication of what a less "gendered" mentality produces in conversation with women might be of use.

Do female members feel like they're more closely scrutinised around here than male members? More liable to be called out, or face hostility from male members for their opinions? Is this a misogynistic thing or a symptom of being far fewer in numbers than male members?

Are the presumptions that some male members make about women down right offensive?

Personally I think sexists and misogynists abound around here, they're not by any means a majority and there a loads of women friendly types on this site too, but I still relatively frequently want to punch some of the apes who post moronic woman-hating things without even realising that their whole way of thinking about women, root and branch, is fucked the hell up and they should go get re-educated for christ's sake.

#1 D_Tim McGnaw, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. dolfette

Gold Member

good thread.

i do feel like misogyny and sexism just isn't taken as seriously.

a poster whining about pakis and niggers would be booted,
    a poster ranting about poofs and fags would be booted,
    but a poster complaining about bitches and hos?

if it's not taken as seriously as by most people then it goes pretty much unchecked. it's not easy being a woman on this site...the ones who post here regularly tend to be tough & out spoken.

...apologies if my language offends.

#2 dolfette, Jun 20, 2010
  3. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    wikipedia, here I come :confused:

4. ncsudude009

ncsudude009 Member

Albums:
    Why should you be surprised? All affronts to logic and common sense go largely unchallenged on here on a daily basis.

5. D_Tim McGnaw

Doesn't offend me anyway :wink:

Yeah I think there's often a kind of locker-room feel around here, and the ways in which some male members discuss women or discuss with women seem to reflect that character.

I really do wonder if some male members, especially younger ones who've grown up post the sex wars of the 60's,70's and 80's even realise that they have somehow been conditioned to think about women in ways which are absurd at best and extremely unhealthy at worst.

6. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

Just the other day I read a post on here where someone (a male) referred to a woman as "a broad". And you are right - that is very mild compared to some of what is said. I always shake my head when someone is accused of "whining" simply because he or she wants to be treated with basic common courtesy.

7. dolfette

Gold Member

hilaire, i think this sums up what you're saying about some of the attitudes of some of the younger guys.

http://www.lpsg.org/148792-stupid-paris-hilton-shows-off.html

personally, i think ms hilton is an irritating imbecile
    but the venom here is shocking.
    some serious vagina hatred going on.
    (and, seriously, it looks pretty normal and ordinary to me)

8. D_Tim McGnaw

Oh yeah, that's a big part of the attitude I think I've noticed. Women who legitimately request that they be treated with respect get shouted down by angry male members who seem to think that respect is something a woman earns by being compliant, or sexually responsive. The very fact that female members tend to be pretty tough suggests that there is a good deal of fighting to be done.

9. big_tits4big_dicks

big_tits4big_dicks New Member

Oh shit. It may have me calling them broads! Haha, I say dizzy dame as well, so I think I just like 1940's slang! The one thing I have noticed is some men seem to think when a woman's mouth is open, we are complaining and bitching about something. I usually just make observations, but now even a simple observation can be turned into "bitching about something". Just because I like to have a conversation, does not mean I'm being negative...

10. D_Tim McGnaw

Holy shit! That thread is really vicious, how many mind numbingly stupid men who're only famous for being pretty would get that kind of abuse around here? Wow.

11. big_tits4big_dicks

That upset me as well. Some men (and women) will always pull the whore card. I once heard a girl being told she was a fucking skank because she was wearing fishnets...Why do we use slut as a general insult?

12. dirtyblacksummer

Albums:
    It's because throughout history misogyny has always been taken lightly. From Eve committing the first sin, to the Spanish inquisition (where women had molten lead poured down their throats) and from the Salem Witch trials to the modern middle east. Women being taken seriously and treated with respect is a relatively new idea.

I don't condone the misogynist behavior, but its as old as civilization itself. Get over it.

13. dolfette

Gold Member

i've been called slut a lot of times on here
    by guys who've not liked my opinion.
    it's just so funny to be on the receiving end of that one when you're as frigid as i am.

''blah blah blah a stupid slut like you blah blah blah''

to my mind it's no different to resorting to racial slurs, except that fewer people care that it's been done.

14. D_Tim McGnaw

What, sorry?? You don't condone it, indeed you describe some of its most horrific instances, but you think we should just "get over it"?

15. dolfette

Gold Member

slavery is as old as civilisation itself and is mentioned in the bible too.

should we just ignore it and get over it too?

things change when people step up and change them. i certainly wouldn't have the vote or the right to equal wages if feminists of old had decided to just get over it.

16. big_tits4big_dicks

17. dirtyblacksummer

Albums:
    oh CHRIST woman, listen... two things to be considered:

1) Get over it because... it's a site called LPSG. It is full of cock addled, testosterone full kids talking about how their 20 inch dicks tear girls in half. If we want to change misogyny here at LSPG, then YOU hit me with some great ideas. Because truthfully... and lets be blunt (because that is something your lovely self never has a problem doing). If you want to change the minds of these space cadets who believe huge, hunkin' colossal dicks ripping innocent, helpless little girls apart is satisfying or even remotely enjoyable then go ahead and change their minds. If you honestly think in a place with this much testosterone and competition you can change a few idiots minds, then my dear feel free to try.

2) Yeah, Slavery is still going on, and it always will. There are slave in third world countries all over the globe right now. Also slavery isn't just a whip and chain. Women in the middle east are slaves to traditions and religions which greatly limit their chances for expression, or freedom (which is a term they only dream about) of any kind. You think this will change? Even in a completely utopian society you would become a slave to the utopia. Would you still desire in a utopian society? blah blah metaphysical stuff blah blah. It will happen. Forever. This I'm sure about.

As for our little forum here... I feel it is utterly futile to try to press for a misogyny free LPSG in fact. That thought is downright retarded!

I understand why misogyny happens: Males have always feared the Female energies in the world. Female energies which are equally responsible for everything . It is our women are responsible for LIFE and the continuation of it. Women bear our children. We (men... and around here I use the word loosely) are simply a cock.

In turn we have to be the best cock, the biggest cock, the hardest cock, blah fucking blah. INSECURITY. Misogyny=Male insecurity.

18. dirtyblacksummer

Albums:
    If anything you ladies should feel empowered to see this many pathetic men worrying about "how deep vaginas are" and "how big is too big". This should be a surefire sign to you that Men are clueless, and NOTHING without the approval of women. Like kids that secretly like a girl in elementary school. They pick on her and mock her; Why? Because they so desperately love her, yet are so utterly terrified of her.

19. D_Tim McGnaw

Are you talking to Dolfette, because I'm a man? How interesting that you're hostility (yes that's the word for it) towards a discussion about misogyny is aimed at one of the female respondents to this thread?

No one is pressing for anything, but your outrage at the thought of discussing the issue (on a discussion board) is again rather informative.

Speak for yourself, and stop making unqualified generalisations about men, you'll notice I didn't in my OP, and that's because not all men are "simply a cock" thanks very much, some may be, are you?

Misogyny may well be a result of masculine insecurity and much of what you are saying may have some basis in truth but your general thesis and the generalisations you're making are false and crude.

How about you stop getting angry about a discussion about misogyny on LPSG and listen to what some of the female members may have to say about this subject?

#19 D_Tim McGnaw, Jun 20, 2010
  20. big_tits4big_dicks

Your right. I will feel empowered every time a man tells me a stupid whore and should shut my mouth by putting a dick in it. That guy must be so afraid of me! I don't expect to change the world. I thought I would have a conversation, I guess no one should ever try to change anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted